are there t14s that are known to be really difficult graders Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hereyago

Bronze

are there t14s that are known to be really difficult graders

Post by hereyago » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:51 pm

are there t14s that are known to be really difficult (AKA hard to get good grades or grade deflation)?

i know that u of chicago is known to be one of the toughest when trying to get good grades. are there other schools known to be like this?

thanks

Heartford

Bronze

Re: are there t14s that are known to be really difficult graders

Post by Heartford » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:55 pm

hereyago wrote:are there t14s that are known to be really difficult (AKA hard to get good grades or grade deflation)?

i know that u of chicago is known to be one of the toughest when trying to get good grades. are there other schools known to be like this?

thanks
I hear that it's REALLY hard to get good grades at Yale. Impossible, even.

hereyago

Bronze

Post by hereyago » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Heartford wrote:
hereyago wrote:are there t14s that are known to be really difficult (AKA hard to get good grades or grade deflation)?

thanks
lol its impossible for me to get in there anyways so im not worried that much about that :P

any other schools?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:06 pm

You're graded on a curve hth

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:21 pm

hint: It doesn't really matter, that said: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... GPA_curves

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Heartford wrote:

thanks
I heard they don't even give out A's.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:53 pm

I haven't spent a lot of time thinking on/researching it, but I'd guess that it's probably easiest for a strong student to get good grades at Chicago because their grades are fairly precise. I know at UVA the B+ category is often huge (like 45% of the class), and I'd guess that a stronger student would end up with a really high B+ more often than they'd end up with a low B+, meaning that they would benefit from a system with more precision. The flip side of this idea is that it could be harder for strong students to stand out at schools with a more compressed set of grades (H, P, etc.).

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:11 pm

dailygrind wrote:I haven't spent a lot of time thinking on/researching it, but I'd guess that it's probably easiest for a strong student to get good grades at Chicago because their grades are fairly precise. I know at UVA the B+ category is often huge (like 45% of the class), and I'd guess that a stronger student would end up with a really high B+ more often than they'd end up with a low B+, meaning that they would benefit from a system with more precision. The flip side of this idea is that it could be harder for strong students to stand out at schools with a more compressed set of grades (H, P, etc.).
UChi's curve is something like 10% Cs, 80% Bs, 10% As... So A grades (180 and above) are pretty hard to come by. I think a lot of the class still clusters right around median, but I do agree that the precise system does help differentiate students.

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Post by Zazelmaf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:12 pm

I don't go to a t14, but at my school the D's look like B's and the B's feel like F's.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:23 pm

All the T14 are either on some sort of non-traditional grading or have a median around 3.3.

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:25 pm

dailygrind wrote:I haven't spent a lot of time thinking on/researching it, but I'd guess that it's probably easiest for a strong student to get good grades at Chicago because their grades are fairly precise. I know at UVA the B+ category is often huge (like 45% of the class), and I'd guess that a stronger student would end up with a really high B+ more often than they'd end up with a low B+, meaning that they would benefit from a system with more precision. The flip side of this idea is that it could be harder for strong students to stand out at schools with a more compressed set of grades (H, P, etc.).
I've thought the same thing. My school gives 35% a B+. I don't want a B+, I want to differentiate myself; that's the whole point of grading.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:38 pm

lawgod wrote:
I've thought the same thing. My school gives 35% a B+. I don't want a B+, I want to differentiate myself; that's the whole point of grading.
Well, if you're not even going to score high enough to get in the A- range, why should you be differentiated? If law school exams are like most other thing in the world, there's going to be a normal distribution, and your scores of all the B+'s are going to be pretty similar scores.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Heartford wrote:

thanks
(thanks for picking up on my awesome joke.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Heartford wrote:

thanks
And they give out the same number of F's as they do B's!!! Ahh

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:56 pm

weathercoins wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Heartford wrote:

thanks
And they give out the same number of F's as they do B's!!! Ahh
this wasn't funny to begin with

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”