Note-taking in law school ...by hand or laptop?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
EarlCat

Re: Note-taking in law school ...by hand or laptop?

Postby EarlCat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:29 pm

I did better in classes where I hand wrote notes. Mostly because I payed more attention (no gchat or facebook) and only had time to write down the important stuff. I also don't tend to use my notes much after the fact, so organization/legibility wasn't really that important.

LSATPREPPER

Postby LSATPREPPER » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:31 am

As a 0L with a whole year of undergraduate left I plan to use a traditional notebook and than retype the notes after class.

JohnMarshall17

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:42 pm

tag

oaken

Postby oaken » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:57 pm

thank god you tagged this 2 year old thread so that you can keep up to date with all the new posts

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Why is this even a question. Has no one ever taken notes before ever? What has worked best for you in the past will continue to be the right choice for you.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:24 am

Taking notes via laptop gives you the luxury of being able to search for thing with CTRL+F. But...

cinephile wrote:Why is this even a question. Has no one ever taken notes before ever? What has worked best for you in the past will continue to be the right choice for you.

+1

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:33 am

Guh, this is a dumb necro. However, I would just like to add that I've been a much better notetaker since installing this program. You can make your own list of "blacklisted" sites (TLS, Facebook, gmail, etc) or create a "whitelist" of a few sites that are relevant to class and block all other web access. You set a timer, and you can't access those sites until the timer is up, even if you close the application. Great stuff.

throw-away-soon

Postby throw-away-soon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:56 pm

People do both. I prefer by hand, it helps me remember things better and is far less distracting. I avoid bringing my MacBook when possible to decrease my chances of breaking it (5yrs old).

Plus all I do in class when I bring my laptop is browse the Internet. I have too short of an attention span to have a computer in class.

Return to “Law School FAQ”