Don't go to law school and work?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
risktaker

Don't go to law school and work?

Postby risktaker » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:06 am

I am seriously wondering if I am making a terrible decision if I end up going to law school this fall. My only options are Seattle U and McGeorge. I have already been out of school for 1.5 yrs, but I cannot get myself to take out 100k+ in loans for Tier 2 law schools in saturated markets. I know I am going to take a lot of heat from friends and family for not going to law school, but I feel like I might have to do what's best for me. I am most likely just going to work for a couple years. I am almost 24 now, so I will be turning 26 when I start law school. My question for you guys is whether I should get a law related job or a job with my biochemistry degree? Can I get a job as a paralegal in California without a paralegal certificate? I will most likely do a law related job because I want to make sure I will be getting into a field I like. I already took testmasters for LSAT prep and it did not take me where I wanted to be with my LSAT score. I jumped from a 140 diag to 157 final. I wanted to be in the 165+ range. Would you guys recommend that I take the Blueprint DVD course? Even though I have taken the LSAT 4 times, my study habits were retarded. I repeated a lot of the same tests and that completely screwed me over. If I take the test next June, I will at least have 3 fresh tests I can take before my June LSAT. I haven't taken any of the LSATs in the PT25-40 range. All opinions and encouragement would help. I am feeling pretty depressed about my opinion to put law school off again! Already applied two cycles in a row! Wasting my parents' money.

bk1

Re: Don't go to law school and work?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:10 am

If you're unsure, don't go. Law school will always be there later if you want to go later.

As for getting a job, I would get one where you could see yourself advancing if you don't end up deciding to go to law school. If you want to find out what attorneys do, contact your friends and see if they know any attorneys who would be willing to have lunch with you and describe what they do.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:53 am

4 times...? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're running out of attempts there, bud.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:21 am

risktaker wrote: my biochemistry degree

For goodness sake, go cure cancer. Law school is for the artsy types.

Kidding of course, but I would say 1) you have some doubt, 2) you have a useful degree, 3) don't go.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:58 am

You are making the best decision for you. And your friends and family ultimately want you to be secure and successful, right? So they should understand that waiting and reapplying later is the best choice. Even if they don't, at least you can be confident that you're making the right choice.

bk1 wrote:As for getting a job, I would get one where you could see yourself advancing if you don't end up deciding to go to law school.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:56 am

Yeah, leaning towards Physician Associate degree and just working in the science line. God help me.

hereyago

Postby hereyago » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 pm

risktaker wrote:Can I get a job as a paralegal without a paralegal certificate?

Yes. I'm working as a paralegal at BigLaw without a paralegal cert. Just graduated UG last month. Went to HYPS though.

Return to “Law School FAQ”