Not entirely sure how law school works (location-wise)

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
senorhosh

Not entirely sure how law school works (location-wise)

Postby senorhosh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:53 pm

I don't understand how ~T14 are "national" schools. Since your first year is important for being hired during the sumer and hence, a permanent job later, how does it work for national schools?

For example, if someone goes to Cornell or Northwestern but wants to practice in California, wouldn't his summer position be useless (besides "experience") for a secure job? I'm guessing it's the name of the school that gets you nationwide?

Also how does it work for higher ranked schools (T20+)? Are you stuck in that state forever?

nealric

Re: Not entirely sure how law school works (location-wise)

Postby nealric » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:45 pm

If the Cornell person is looking to work in California, they would summer in California.

You are not stuck in a state for ever from a lower-ranked school, but it is much more likely you will end up for a local-type employer and with a local network.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:05 pm

Think of it this way: all law schools are regional.

Where you can get a job after school is a function of 1) your grades, 2) your ties to the area you're targeting, and 3) your school's prestige in the area you are targeting.

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:34 am

so basically, you want to apply to a school within a certain mile radius of where you want to work after graduation? (and the rest of your life I'm guessing?)

omninode

Postby omninode » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:01 am

senorhosh wrote:so basically, you want to apply to a school within a certain mile radius of where you want to work after graduation? (and the rest of your life I'm guessing?)

It's not quite as simple as a mile radius. Every job market has certain schools that feed into it more than others. It does not always correspond to how close they are geographically. You will have to do a little research into the schools you are considering. That is why you see a lot of posts on TLS asking questions like "Is X or Y school better for Chicago placement?"

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:50 pm

so how difficult is it to relocate while practicing?
I'm assuming relocating means losing most, if not all, of your network, and having to retake the BAR.

Since I've been in CA my whole life, I'd like to practice elsewhere. But I also would like the option of moving back if I absolutely despise the changes.

How difficult would it be to move back to CA after practicing in NY or Chicago for a couple years?

Return to “Law School FAQ”