Laptop for lawschool Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
thepete

New

Laptop for lawschool

Post by thepete » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:21 pm

I have spoken with a lawyer recently and he strongly advised me to spend extra $$$ to get the best/sturdy laptop I can find. He told me that I wouldn't want my laptop to breakdown all of sudden and lose all my notes before the test or so. Right now I have a laptop that's roughly 3 years old (HP tx2000), which has a 2-hr battery life, and I don't really have trouble using it to execute simple tasks.
Would you guys recommend that I get a better laptop or just stick with the one I have until it starts to fail on me?

Thanks!

bk1

Diamond

Re: Laptop for lawschool

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:25 pm

TheKingintheNorth

Bronze

Post by TheKingintheNorth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:47 pm

thepete wrote:I have spoken with a lawyer recently and he strongly advised me to spend extra $$$ to get the best/sturdy laptop I can find. He told me that I wouldn't want my laptop to breakdown all of sudden and lose all my notes before the test or so. Right now I have a laptop that's roughly 3 years old (HP tx2000), which has a 2-hr battery life, and I don't really have trouble using it to execute simple tasks.
Would you guys recommend that I get a better laptop or just stick with the one I have until it starts to fail on me?

Thanks!
The "$$$" you'll spend really has very little to do with the stability of your hard drive. Chances are your laptop's other components will fail before your hard drive and, if you didn't back up your stuff, usually it just requires a nerdy friend or 50$ and a few hours to get your data off (well, and a new laptop). My point is you really don't need to bother with getting a laptop JUST for data security. But there are plenty of other reasons to upgrade, so check that thread.

On a separate and unrelated note, I really wouldn't rely on "a lawyer's" opinion on things as ubiquitous as computers to the point where speaking with one is the impetus you need to investigate the benefits of getting a new laptop.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:49 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:01 am

If you're concerned about losing your shit, just back it all up on an external hard drive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:57 am

Back up your stuff on Dropbox before you leave campus...then if you get mugged and lose your laptop before you get home to that external drive, you can just dig up another computer and re-download all your stuff.

thepete

New

Post by thepete » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Yeah I guess so but then I know I'll forget to drag my docs into the dropbox quite often. I wonder if iCloud will be available for pc users as well, since it will automatically save everything by itself.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:43 pm

thepete wrote:Yeah I guess so but then I know I'll forget to drag my docs into the dropbox quite often. I wonder if iCloud will be available for pc users as well, since it will automatically save everything by itself.

Why drag them in? Save them in the Dropbox folder.

thepete

New

Post by thepete » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Oh, hmm there is a folder for dropbox? I haven't really used it except on my ipod touch so I didn't know there was a folder.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:22 pm

thepete wrote:Oh, hmm there is a folder for dropbox? I haven't really used it except on my ipod touch so I didn't know there was a folder.
That's where the cloud is right?

Oh, I'm asking for IT advice on a forum trafficked by wannabe laywers.

nvm.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Yes, the Dropbox application for the computer creates a folder on your computer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”