Laptop for lawschool

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
thepete
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Laptop for lawschool

Postby thepete » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:21 pm

I have spoken with a lawyer recently and he strongly advised me to spend extra $$$ to get the best/sturdy laptop I can find. He told me that I wouldn't want my laptop to breakdown all of sudden and lose all my notes before the test or so. Right now I have a laptop that's roughly 3 years old (HP tx2000), which has a 2-hr battery life, and I don't really have trouble using it to execute simple tasks.
Would you guys recommend that I get a better laptop or just stick with the one I have until it starts to fail on me?

Thanks!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Laptop for lawschool

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:25 pm


User avatar
TheKingintheNorth
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Laptop for lawschool

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:47 pm

thepete wrote:I have spoken with a lawyer recently and he strongly advised me to spend extra $$$ to get the best/sturdy laptop I can find. He told me that I wouldn't want my laptop to breakdown all of sudden and lose all my notes before the test or so. Right now I have a laptop that's roughly 3 years old (HP tx2000), which has a 2-hr battery life, and I don't really have trouble using it to execute simple tasks.
Would you guys recommend that I get a better laptop or just stick with the one I have until it starts to fail on me?

Thanks!


The "$$$" you'll spend really has very little to do with the stability of your hard drive. Chances are your laptop's other components will fail before your hard drive and, if you didn't back up your stuff, usually it just requires a nerdy friend or 50$ and a few hours to get your data off (well, and a new laptop). My point is you really don't need to bother with getting a laptop JUST for data security. But there are plenty of other reasons to upgrade, so check that thread.

On a separate and unrelated note, I really wouldn't rely on "a lawyer's" opinion on things as ubiquitous as computers to the point where speaking with one is the impetus you need to investigate the benefits of getting a new laptop.

User avatar
Chupavida
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Laptop for lawschool

Postby Chupavida » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:49 pm

.
Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Laptop for lawschool

Postby dr123 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:01 am

If you're concerned about losing your shit, just back it all up on an external hard drive.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Laptop for lawschool

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:57 am

Back up your stuff on Dropbox before you leave campus...then if you get mugged and lose your laptop before you get home to that external drive, you can just dig up another computer and re-download all your stuff.

thepete
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: Laptop for lawschool

Postby thepete » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Yeah I guess so but then I know I'll forget to drag my docs into the dropbox quite often. I wonder if iCloud will be available for pc users as well, since it will automatically save everything by itself.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Laptop for lawschool

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:43 pm

thepete wrote:Yeah I guess so but then I know I'll forget to drag my docs into the dropbox quite often. I wonder if iCloud will be available for pc users as well, since it will automatically save everything by itself.



Why drag them in? Save them in the Dropbox folder.

thepete
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: Laptop for lawschool

Postby thepete » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Oh, hmm there is a folder for dropbox? I haven't really used it except on my ipod touch so I didn't know there was a folder.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Laptop for lawschool

Postby ahduth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:22 pm

thepete wrote:Oh, hmm there is a folder for dropbox? I haven't really used it except on my ipod touch so I didn't know there was a folder.


That's where the cloud is right?

Oh, I'm asking for IT advice on a forum trafficked by wannabe laywers.

nvm.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Laptop for lawschool

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Yes, the Dropbox application for the computer creates a folder on your computer.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests