Bar Passage Vs. Other Expensive Options

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Bar Passage with what kind of school

Guaranteed Job with Bar Passage, choose T-IV school
38%
Guaranteed Job with Bar Passage, via epensive Tier 1 school
17%
Guaranteed Job with Bar Passage, via very expensive T-14 school
46%

Total votes: 24

Ruxin1

Re: Bar Passage Vs. Other Expensive Options

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:08 pm

If you don't want to make good money, you can obtain a lot more enjoyable jobs @ 50 k

ajr

Postby ajr » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:19 pm

Something's just not right about this scenario.
1. Good economy or bad, there is no such thing as a guaranteed job after three years. Our opinions (and I include your friend and the company making the offer) change and situations change. So unless she is working for the company through this time of going law school, an offer to employ her after 3 years means nothing. Paper or otherwise. I have had companies withdraw offers made to me in writing a week before I could join because of hiring freeze.
2. There is no guaranteed money either (top 20% stipulation).

So what am I missing about this "safe route"?????

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:28 pm

ajr wrote:Something's just not right about this scenario.
1. Good economy or bad, there is no such thing as a guaranteed job after three years. Our opinions (and I include your friend and the company making the offer) change and situations change. So unless she is working for the company through this time of going law school, an offer to employ her after 3 years means nothing. Paper or otherwise. I have had companies withdraw offers made to me in writing a week before I could join because of hiring freeze.
2. There is no guaranteed money either (top 20% stipulation).

So what am I missing about this "safe route"?????

Initially, the question was, if you had a solid shot into a T-14 , would you pass it up to for a nearby T-IV school so you could pass the state bar and begin work at a promised job. Somewhere along the line the question turned into a couple of what ifs.

1) What I am failing to convey is that this law firm is like family, in and out of the office. Her mom has worked there for years and my friend worked there for two summers and will continue to work (part-time) while attending school. Short of a total meltdown of the economy, in three years she will be there practicing law.

2) IMHO, if there is a stipulation (not convinced there is one), you either take your chances or incur the cost of what could turn out to be a needless three year costly move.

It just came to mind. . . there must be a number of 2014 law students whose father or mother is a firm partner, wonder what they do? You know what, I probably should scratch this question, because in that case $$ is probably not a factor and they would head directly to Harvard.

ajr

Postby ajr » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Renne Walker wrote:.. will continue to work (part-time) while attending school...

That seems to me to be the biggest reason to take the T4 approach. Continuing to work means you have to be close by (restricted to a law school in the local area) and continuing to work also means (a) income while attending school and (b) really, a guaranteed job upon graduation.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 pm

1) I know I am right about this, although it is difficult to demonstrate, before the fact. Again, I do not know the deal she has with the school―she did not mention a stipulation. I believe a 174 LSAT (better score than mine) should be an indicator on how she will do, plus her work ethic is relentless.

It doesn't matter. All it takes is one bad grade to hose her. A crashing computer during the exam, an idiosyncratic prof, or an exam day illness could leave her debtpwned. Also, don't forget section stacking. She may be in a section with only scholarship recipients.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:07 pm

I think a lot of people's negativity is not really toward your friend's decision, but more likely you because of the fact your coming off as a dick, so take that into account as well

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:22 pm

B.Web wrote:I think a lot of people's negativity is not really toward your friend's decision, but more likely you because of the fact your coming off as a dick, so take that into account as well

this one has potential

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:23 am

Looks like we can finally call this poll a wrap. Nearly dead even:

43% said if you have a way into a T-14 school, do not pass it up―even if you have a job waiting for you, a T-14 degree could come in handy someday.

39% felt that if you have a job waiting for you, T-IV is fine―no need to pile on debt.

Tier 1, just for the sake of it, did not fare well―17%.

Thanks for participating.

Return to “Law School FAQ”