Cooley Law question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LexLeon

Bronze

Re: Cooley Law question

Post by LexLeon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:10 am

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:Ha, it's actually not that bad of a school if someone has a nice scholarship and is interested in smaller firms or an in-house job
I am trying to understand this "Cooley hate" myself. I know two people: A black woman and a white man who both went to Cooley, both did the accelerated two year program, and are both doing VERY VERY well. The white male is seven years older than me, a senior manager and is making over $120k a year working in house for a tech company. He and another guy with a JD, held an intervention to detract me from going to law school this year. After I explained myself to the Cooley guy, he told me that he went to cooley and did the two year program. The black female herself is also making over $100k. If one is defining law school success by your annual income post five years after graduation.

The issue with Cooley is not so much the education, they give you the legal education what is needed to pass the multi-state bar and then some and that is it. There is no career service. You are on your own, and I think most people take issue with this.
Thank you for the dose of reality; 'tis what's needed to break the spell of ironic and higher-order ignorance so present on this otherwise great forum.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:33 pm

LexLeon wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:Ha, it's actually not that bad of a school if someone has a nice scholarship and is interested in smaller firms or an in-house job
I am trying to understand this "Cooley hate" myself. I know two people: A black woman and a white man who both went to Cooley, both did the accelerated two year program, and are both doing VERY VERY well. The white male is seven years older than me, a senior manager and is making over $120k a year working in house for a tech company. He and another guy with a JD, held an intervention to detract me from going to law school this year. After I explained myself to the Cooley guy, he told me that he went to cooley and did the two year program. The black female herself is also making over $100k. If one is defining law school success by your annual income post five years after graduation.

The issue with Cooley is not so much the education, they give you the legal education what is needed to pass the multi-state bar and then some and that is it. There is no career service. You are on your own, and I think most people take issue with this.
Thank you for the dose of reality; 'tis what's needed to break the spell of ironic and higher-order ignorance so present on this otherwise great forum.
These anecdotes are entirely consistent with a sharply negative view of Cooley and the probable employment outcomes it offers. No serious person maintains that it is completely impossible to have a successful career with a Cooley degree.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:42 pm

The employment market is changing rapidly ( considering you are dealing with law firms) and you can't expect to have the same results as someone 5 years ago. At any rate, looking for anecdotes to prove why it is a great idea for you to go to ANY school is very flawed. Look at how everyone in the entire class is doing and how much debt they had to undertake to pay for school.

~ sunynp

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:02 am

Cooley had a 17% bar passage rate for the State of California last year.....17%.....

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Cooley advertises on TV now. They've always put shit on the radio, but never on TV until now. LOL, just LOL at that festering shithole.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:50 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Cooley had a 17% bar passage rate for the State of California last year.....17%.....
The CA bar is a notorious bitch. Everybody know this. Plus, Cooley does not have campuses in CA. The vast majority of of Cooley students and alum come from the two states which holds their campuses, Michigan and FL. It would make more sense to post Cooley first time bar taker results.

VegasLaw702

New

Post by VegasLaw702 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:55 am

Last edited by VegasLaw702 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Stanford was #30....
Wade LeBosh wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
dr123 wrote:I'd say most of the hate stems from this...

http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/
As a poster once put it,
jayzon wrote:You know at the bar, where there are a group of relatively unattractive women? You wouldn't usually just start calling them "fat" or "ugly," because it is rude and in poor taste. But if one of them is wearing a tube top and teeny shorts that say "SEXY" on them, you'll probably point out to your buddies that she is, in fact, atrocious?

Cooley wears "SEXY" shorts.
That's a pretty good (and funny) description. Did Cooley really make their own ranking system, employ arbitrary factors (like "richness of curriculum" and "total law school sq footage"), rank themselves #2 below Harvard (and above of Yale :lol: ), and try to present it on their website as an alternative to USNWR? That's F'd up for a number of reasons. The "sexy shorts" analogy made perfect sense after I read that hilarious document. I'm now on board with hating Cooley and actually find myself incensed at their audacity.

Just the diss to Yale is enough to warrant hatred, not to mention the blatantly misleading statistics and busch-league shots at "top" and "elite" schools.

xstephh34x

New

Post by xstephh34x » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:You'd have to have an incredibly low LSAT and GPA to go there. I would think that someone that did that poorly in college wouldn't even WANT to go to law school.
And who said those who receive a low LSAT aren't capable of succeeding in law school? Some people just don't test well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:49 pm

xstephh34x wrote:
Wade LeBosh wrote:You'd have to have an incredibly low LSAT and GPA to go there. I would think that someone that did that poorly in college wouldn't even WANT to go to law school.
And who said those who receive a low LSAT aren't capable of succeeding in law school? Some people just don't test well.
In most law school classes, 100% of the grade is the final exam. :|

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:15 pm

xstephh34x wrote:And who said those who receive a low LSAT aren't capable of succeeding in law school? Some people just don't test well.
Statistics said so. Well, not that you can't, just that it's extraordinarily unlikely.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:51 am

xstephh34x wrote:
Then how are they going to do well on tests in law school?

I am constantly amazed by the inability of some people to understand impossible versus improbable. Is it impossible that someone with a very low LSAT score, assuming they actually studied and the score reflects their best effort, will do well in law school? Of course not. Is it unlikely? Yes.

Same thing with schools like Cooley. The defense is usually "But look at this Cooley graduate, they're doing fine!" Yes, of course, you can always find exceptions. It's not absolutely 100% impossible to land a good job out of Cooley. It's just way, way less likely than it would be if you attended a reputable school, and when you're talking about three years of your life and a lot of money, you shouldn't gamble on a tiny sliver of a chance.

JJ123

Bronze

Post by JJ123 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:13 am

edit: wrong thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”