Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Should I leave my wife for the T-14?

Leave Her- Profit
76%
Keep Her- Visit/Transfer to UTK
24%

Total votes: 17

CanadianWolf

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:27 pm

Actually there is a need to get accurate info. OP may not be ready for a major commitment--whether it be to his fiancee or to Cornell.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:29 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Actually there is a need to get accurate info. OP may not be ready for a major committment--whether it be to his fiancee or to Cornell.

Do you know OP? Do you know OP's emotional state and/or care about OP's feelings about love?

Im sure the deal is he is assuming they will be married, maybe currently engaged, and didnt want to hear ppls shit when they said "its only your finance"

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:30 pm

What ???

Inaccurate info. in, leads to improper advice.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:31 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:What ???

just....

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:32 pm

I didn't want to say she is my fiancee because people will tell me to leave her. She is non-negotiable. She wants to start small businesses and we need to be in east TN for a few reasons. I did not apply to Vandy.

Wolf- So you are 100% positive that schools who don't allow you to apply as visiting students through LSAC never allow visiting students? That is what I would like to do.

To all those that have said so, you are right, we could get it done one at a time, we simply don't want to. We are both ambitious and don't want to sit around for a few years.

Wolf- I also never said anything about Cornell. The school I'm considering attending is not Cornell, if that matters.

So what I'm getting is "transferring to UTK is a bad idea because people don't do it." "They don't do it because it is a bad idea."

I'm asking, why is it a bad idea?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:51 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:I didn't want to say she is my fiancee because people will tell me to leave her. She is non-negotiable. She wants to start small businesses and we need to be in east TN for a few reasons. I did not apply to Vandy.

Wolf- So you are 100% positive that schools who don't allow you to apply as visiting students through LSAC never allow visiting students? That is what I would like to do.

To all those that have said so, you are right, we could get it done one at a time, we simply don't want to. We are both ambitious and don't want to sit around for a few years.

Wolf- I also never said anything about Cornell. The school I'm considering attending is not Cornell, if that matters.

So what I'm getting is "transferring to UTK is a bad idea because people don't do it." "They don't do it because it is a bad idea."

I'm asking, why is it a bad idea?

Hit that one on the head

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:15 am

Marriage is much different than being engaged. Since you are not married, do what is best for you & your career.

Your comments about Vanderbilt & Duke are silly & based on immature thoughts. Marriage requires commitment & maturity. If it is meant to be, then a few years apart should strengthen your relationship.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:41 pm

Don't go to a T14 with the intention to transfer to a lower school in a year. If you two are too impatient to do your studies consecutively and the only grad school she can go to is UTK, then you should go there too.

You keep asking why it's a bad idea - here's why. If you want to work in a large firm, I think some of them will question your committment to your profession if you are trying to transfer from a T14 to UTK after one year so your fiancee can attend grad school there. They may think that if your fiancee is pulling you out of a T14 law school instead of just waiting two more years to go to grad school, what else is going to give? When a huge deadline is coming up and they need to you to work all weekend on a case, are you going to do it even if your girl is way disappointed that it conflicts with your social plans?

Also - what if you're say, bottom 1/3 at the T14 after 1L? How do you even know UTK is going to take you? What are you going to do then? You may say you won't be bottom third, but you have just as good a chance of being bottom third as being top third.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Wholigan wrote:Don't go to a T14 with the intention to transfer to a lower school in a year. If you two are too impatient to do your studies consecutively and the only grad school she can go to is UTK, then you should go there too.

You keep asking why it's a bad idea - here's why. If you want to work in a large firm, I think some of them will question your committment to your profession if you are trying to transfer from a T14 to UTK after one year so your fiancee can attend grad school there. They may think that if your fiancee is pulling you out of a T14 law school instead of just waiting two more years to go to grad school, what else is going to give? When a huge deadline is coming up and they need to you to work all weekend on a case, are you going to do it even if your girl is way disappointed that it conflicts with your social plans?

+1. Additionally, by transferring after your first year, you miss out on most of the benefits of attending a T14. You don't get to do T14 OCI (arguably one of the best reasons to attend a T14), you don't get the prestigious degree to put on your résumé, and you miss out on two years of networking opportunities. If you're going to forfeit all of that, what's the point of going to the T14 in the first place? Plus, if you applied to UTK as a 0L with T14 numbers, I'm guessing you'd get a sizable scholarship, and who knows if you'd get the same offer as a transfer. I know you said finances aren't a priority, but money is money.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
Wholigan wrote:Don't go to a T14 with the intention to transfer to a lower school in a year. If you two are too impatient to do your studies consecutively and the only grad school she can go to is UTK, then you should go there too.

+1. Additionally, by transferring after your first year, you miss out on most of the benefits of attending a T14. You don't get to do T14 OCI (arguably one of the best reasons to attend a T14), you don't get the prestigious degree to put on your résumé, and you miss out on two years of networking opportunities. If you're going to forfeit all of that, what's the point of going to the T14 in the first place? Plus, if you applied to UTK as a 0L with T14 numbers, I'm guessing you'd get a sizable scholarship, and who knows if you'd get the same offer as a transfer. I know you said finances aren't a priority, but money is money.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:

I think his intent is to come back to the t14 for 3L lol

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Br3v wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:

I think his intent is to come back to the t14 for 3L lol

Yeah but I'm not sure UTK allows for visiting students. If they did, I don't think that would be a bad plan at all. He would still get to "have a t14 on his resume (which actually, if I were him, I would keep on there even if I was only there for 1L), still would network for two years, and still would go through OCI if he waited till his 3L to visit." Actually a lot of that wasn't a quote but you get it! He would actually save money by going to UTK for one year, too.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Ok just found this. OP didn't look too hard, and I looked for him because I'll probably be at UTK in the fall so this thread had my interest.

From the UTK website.

Visiting Applicants

A student who is in good standing at a law school accredited by the ABA may take courses at the College of Law on a space-available basis with the permission of the dean or the dean’s designee. Applicants to visit at the College of Law must supply the following materials to the Office of Admissions for the file to be complete and forwarded to the Office of Student Affairs for consideration. Candidates should have completed the visitor application process no later than four weeks before the beginning of the term for which they are applying to visit. Decisions to allow candidates to visit will be made and communicated as soon as possible after the submission deadlines.
The following items are required to complete the Application File:

* Completed application form
* A CAS report. (A copy from the law school attended will be accepted.)
* Two recommendations, one of which should be from a law faculty member at law school attended
* A letter stating the reason(s) for seeking to visit.
* A personal statement and an essay
* The $15 application fee.

The following materials from the law school attended:

* A letter from the dean or the dean’s designate which includes authorization to visit and any limitations or specifications on courses which will be accepted by that school
* Indication of good standing, including class rank
* An official law school transcript
* A copy of the official law school catalog

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Ok so, you can visit. This doesn't seem like a bad idea to me, and in fact seems like a good compromise, but I'm assuming you would not have to pay tution at t14 and you would pay in-state at UTK because your wife went to school there. That would save you 35k (I know you don't care about money, but there ya go).

I would think t14 would still let you do OCI even if you were away, right? I mean, if not that would be kinda rude. You wouldn't be allowed to interview from the school that gave you your grades and the school that you are going to have a degree from?

Would you be able to do two OCI's? I mean I think only like 50 firms go to the one in Knoxville but if you want to work in TN, this is going to be more important to you than the other one. Unless the T14 is duke or uva I doubt the large nashville firms are going to be there, and I know they go to UTK, even though they only interview the best students.

Am I missing anything? Is he still on the hook for the tuition up at the other school?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:46 pm

She wants to start a small business in eastern Tennessee after attending some grad program at UTK? Not like she's finishing up med school at Harvard, bro. You're the one with the T14 acceptance. She should probably move with you, and then try to get into a grad program at the school you're at.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:49 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Ok so, you can visit. This doesn't seem like a bad idea to me, and in fact seems like a good compromise, but I'm assuming you would not have to pay tution at t14 and you would pay in-state at UTK because your wife went to school there. That would save you 35k (I know you don't care about money, but there ya go).

I would think t14 would still let you do OCI even if you were away, right? I mean, if not that would be kinda rude. You wouldn't be allowed to interview from the school that gave you your grades and the school that you are going to have a degree from?

Would you be able to do two OCI's? I mean I think only like 50 firms go to the one in Knoxville but if you want to work in TN, this is going to be more important to you than the other one. Unless the T14 is duke or uva I doubt the large nashville firms are going to be there, and I know they go to UTK, even though they only interview the best students.

Am I missing anything? Is he still on the hook for the tuition up at the other school?

wtfits

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Visiting UTK probably isn't that big of a deal. But why does she have to go to UTK? And is she really starting a business? What type of business do you need a grad degree for?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Visiting UTK probably isn't that big of a deal. But why does she have to go to UTK? And is she really starting a business? What type of business do you need a grad degree for?

Well, its a program that specifically starts you a small business. Kinda a new thing.

We both want to eventually live and work in TN so it makes a lot of sense for her to go there and make contacts, start a business.

Yes. That is a huge relief that visiting is a possibility. Thanks mwarr85. I think that could even help my resume smell more local when I try to find work in TN. I hope this works out-- I'm a big fan of having my cake and eating it too.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:54 pm

Also - what if you're say, bottom 1/3 at the T14 after 1L? How do you even know UTK is going to take you? What are you going to do then? You may say you won't be bottom third, but you have just as good a chance of being bottom third as being top third.

This makes sense. Thanks for this, I was having a hard time seeing the negatives.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Seems like you could visit UTK and the two of you could both get what you wanted. Not sure how the finances would play out, though. Would you have to continue paying at t14? Would you get in-state at UTK because of your wife, even though you are visiting?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Visiting UTK probably isn't that big of a deal. But why does she have to go to UTK? And is she really starting a business? What type of business do you need a grad degree for?

depends on the school, apparently some schools limit the schools you are able to visit. For instance, Chicago requires that you go to a peer school, so Tennessee would not be possible.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

Well, its a program that specifically starts you a small business. Kinda a new thing.

We both want to eventually live and work in TN so it makes a lot of sense for her to go there and make contacts, start a business.

Yes. That is a huge relief that visiting is a possibility. Thanks mwarr85. I think that could even help my resume smell more local when I try to find work in TN. I hope this works out-- I'm a big fan of having my cake and eating it too.

Sounds like scam bro.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

depends on the school, apparently some schools limit the schools you are able to visit. For instance, Chicago requires that you go to a peer school, so Tennessee would not be possible.

LOL at their rigor requirement.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:51 pm

Why didn't you just apply to Vandy?! Seriously if you want to be in TN and you're fiancee is hell-bent on this lame grad program it just doesn't make a ton of sense to go to another T14, possibly transfer, all to secure employment in Nashville- which would be accomplished just by going to Vandy or hell, maybe a full ride from UTK! I honestly don't know which is worse ITE, starting a small business that in order to accomplish you have to pay for grad school OR becoming a lawyer.

OP, can you just wait a year?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

Are you serious? That would ruin everything.

Return to “Law School FAQ”