Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Should I leave my wife for the T-14?

Leave Her- Profit
13
76%
Keep Her- Visit/Transfer to UTK
4
24%
 
Total votes: 17

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm married and would be going to a T-14 in an area where my wife didn't want to be. She wants to go to grad school at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, and although I really like the law school there I'd rather attend a school up north and then either transfer or, preferably, do a visiting year at UTK so my wife and I could be together while she does her graduate work.

I noticed on the LSAC ap that one could not apply to be a visiting student at UTK. However, why would they say no if I really made an issue of it..? I mean, I am correct in stating that I would be paying full tuition there, correct?

If they won't budge, I may transfer there. I would really love to work in Nashville and I know they are very well represented there. Would transferring there from a T-14 have unintended consequences I'm overlooking??? Like, could I still be on law review, would firms interview me even though I may be outside the grade window at UTK, would my GPA start over?

I think I would actually like my GPA to start over -- I know it is easier to make good marks your 2L and 3L years. However, I would be pissed if I couldn't try for law review, and I would be horrified if I couldn't interview for firms because they only looked at top 20% at UTK and my top 35% from the T-14 school wouldn't be good enough.

I know these are very niche questions, but does anyone have any expertise?? Also, we are wealthy and money is not a primary concern.

(Also, the poll at the top is just for fun. I'm not really leaving her).
Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Why would possibly transfer from t14 to UTK? You are going to forfeit all the benefits of going to a T14. UTK is a steaming pile of shit. If you are going to have live in Tennessee, you might as well try to get a full ride there, and attend outright.

What is your wife studying, how much is her cost of attendance. If it is something stupid, just tell her no.

User avatar
cmckid
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:22 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby cmckid » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:51 pm

Agreed. If she's getting a grad degree in sociology then tell her to to deal with it. That or get the full ride from UTK.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Why would possibly transfer from t14 to UTK? You are going to forfeit all the benefits of going to a T14. UTK is a steaming pile of shit. If you are going to have live in Tennessee, you might as well try to get a full ride there, and attend outright.

What is your wife studying, how much is her cost of attendance. If it is something stupid, just tell her no.


What are the benefits of going to a T14 that I would be forfeiting, and why is UTK a steaming pile of shit? You get your first job based off your 1L grades, which would be at a T14.
Last edited by mrwarre85 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:54 pm

cmckid wrote:Agreed. If she's getting a grad degree in sociology then tell her to to deal with it. That or get the full ride from UTK.


Full ride at UTK is only a 15k a year difference than full tuition.
Last edited by mrwarre85 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:58 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why would possibly transfer from t14 to UTK? You are going to forfeit all the benefits of going to a T14. UTK is a steaming pile of shit. If you are going to have live in Tennessee, you might as well try to get a full ride there, and attend outright.

What is your wife studying, how much is her cost of attendance. If it is something stupid, just tell her no.


What are the benefits of going to a T14 that I would be forfeiting, and why is UTK a steaming pile of shit? You get your first job based off your 1L grades, which would be at a T14.


+1

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:01 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why would possibly transfer from t14 to UTK? You are going to forfeit all the benefits of going to a T14. UTK is a steaming pile of shit. If you are going to have live in Tennessee, you might as well try to get a full ride there, and attend outright.

What is your wife studying, how much is her cost of attendance. If it is something stupid, just tell her no.


What are the benefits of going to a T14 that I would be forfeiting, and why is UTK a steaming pile of shit? You get your first job based off your 1L grades, which would be at a T14.


That people will actually hire you. T14 -> UTK transfer would look weird as fuck.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why would possibly transfer from t14 to UTK? You are going to forfeit all the benefits of going to a T14. UTK is a steaming pile of shit. If you are going to have live in Tennessee, you might as well try to get a full ride there, and attend outright.

What is your wife studying, how much is her cost of attendance. If it is something stupid, just tell her no.


What are the benefits of going to a T14 that I would be forfeiting, and why is UTK a steaming pile of shit? You get your first job based off your 1L grades, which would be at a T14.


That people will actually hire you. T14 -> UTK transfer would look weird as fuck.



It would look weird to firms in Nashville if I said I wanted to live here and my wife wanted to go to UT? Can you explain why it would look weird or why people who will actually hire me would look down on this? I cant tell if you are taking this seriously or not.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:26 pm

What about Vandy?

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why would possibly transfer from t14 to UTK? You are going to forfeit all the benefits of going to a T14. UTK is a steaming pile of shit. If you are going to have live in Tennessee, you might as well try to get a full ride there, and attend outright.

What is your wife studying, how much is her cost of attendance. If it is something stupid, just tell her no.


What are the benefits of going to a T14 that I would be forfeiting, and why is UTK a steaming pile of shit? You get your first job based off your 1L grades, which would be at a T14.


That people will actually hire you. T14 -> UTK transfer would look weird as fuck.



It would look weird to firms in Nashville if I said I wanted to live here and my wife wanted to go to UT? Can you explain why it would look weird or why people who will actually hire me would look down on this? I cant tell if you are taking this seriously or not.


He's being serious but I also get your point, IF you want to get hired down there. A firm in the area would understand why you moved, to be with your wife. Most people I presume strictly from an unemotional tie stance is that transferring from a t14 with good job prospects to a school with significantly smaller ones would be a bad idea.

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby glewz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:37 pm

sarahlawg wrote:What about Vandy?

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:41 pm

sarahlawg wrote:What about Vandy?


I didn't apply.

Wife would be in Knoxville anyway.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:42 pm

I mean to transfer. And it's only 3 or so hours and in the city you want to end up in. Is there 0 leeway or what?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

It would look weird to firms in Nashville if I said I wanted to live here and my wife wanted to go to UT? Can you explain why it would look weird or why people who will actually hire me would look down on this? I cant tell if you are taking this seriously or not.


Because you'd be transfering from elite to shit. There is no guarantee they will take it well. They will wonder why you even went in the first place. Why spend 70K on a year at a t14.

Wait a year and apply to Vandy and UTK. Hope for scholarships.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:03 pm

I've never been married so I have no actual experience but here are my thoughts:

It doesn't make sense to go to a T14 and then transfer to UTK. It is an unprecedented move and that is why DF says that you have no idea how employers will take it. You are making a big gamble by doing it because it may backfire. It just makes more sense, that if you are going to go to UTK that you might as well just do it the full 3 years. So possible solutions:

1. Wife goes to a grad school near your T14 rather than UTK.
2. Wife goes to UTK still, but you guys go to schools successively rather than concurrently so you still get to go to the T14, but she gets to go to UTK. Order is up to you guys.
3. Go to T14, commute by plane. You (or she) flies to the other on Monday mornings and flies back Friday nights. This is expensive and time consuming especially since you'll have to rent two places.
4. Go to Vandy next year and either you commute to Nashville or she commutes to Knoxville every day. This is expensive and time consuming, but not nearly as bad as the T14 plane commute.
5. Just go to UTK for 3 years.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Because you'd be transfering from elite to shit. There is no guarantee they will take it well. They will wonder why you even went in the first place. Why spend 70K on a year at a t14.


He said money wasn't a real concern. I would think having both Cornell and UT on a resume in Nashville would be better than just having UT. I think the experience of a T14 might be worth it to someone who was wealthy, and having good 1L grades from a T14 is still going to be very valuable when you interview during your 2L year. Couldn't OP use his grades to get interviews other UTK students could not?

Desert Fox wrote:Wait a year and apply to Vandy and UTK. Hope for scholarships.


You just said UTK was shit. It may sound kinda funny but it discredits your argument because 98% of people wouldn't think UTK was shit. Also, he said money wasn't a concern so he may not care too much about saving the 15k a year tuition at UTK.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:39 pm

bk1 wrote:I've never been married so I have no actual experience but here are my thoughts:

It doesn't make sense to go to a T14 and then transfer to UTK. It is an unprecedented move and that is why DF says that you have no idea how employers will take it. You are making a big gamble by doing it because it may backfire. It just makes more sense, that if you are going to go to UTK that you might as well just do it the full 3 years.


Hmm.. Seems like some people think that because it is unprecedented it is bad. I'm wondering, why exactly would it be bad? I would think if I rolled up to a firm in Nashville with good grades from a reputable school, and then said I was transferring to the local school in order to better make a life in TN, that I would benefit from both schools. I'm looking for the exact reasons why that might not be the case.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about schools accepting visiting students? That would solve my problem, because we could then work it to where we were only apart for six months.

Even if I had to transfer, I would still save about 80k by doing so. Like I said finances aren't my priority but, theres that. I want to be back to what fox said about the "benefits of a t14." What exactly are they, keeping in mind I would have gone there for one year?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:54 pm

OP: Your situation is confusing because you are not sharing enough information. If you are married, then you need to stay together. If you want to become divorced, then proceed with your plan--which seems designed to mess up both of your lives as well as your schooling.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:07 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Your situation is confusing because you are not sharing enough information. If you are married, then you need to stay together. If you want to become divorced, then proceed with your plan--which seems designed to mess up both of your lives as well as your schooling.


I don't think you are reading my plan carefully. It is designed to "stay together." I want to attend the t14 for at least one year-- she would come. Then I want her to attend the program she wants-- it is very specific to knoxville.

The plan is to visit or transfer to UTK. I'm wondering about benefits/repercussions. I'm hoping I can do a visiting year instead of transfer, although I wouldn't mind going to UTK I suppose.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Your situation is confusing because you are not sharing enough information. If you are married, then you need to stay together. If you want to become divorced, then proceed with your plan--which seems designed to mess up both of your lives as well as your schooling.


I don't think you are reading my plan carefully. It is designed to "stay together." I want to attend the t14 for at least one year-- she would come. Then I want her to attend the program she wants-- it is very specific to knoxville.

The plan is to visit or transfer to UTK. I'm wondering about benefits/repercussions. I'm hoping I can do a visiting year instead of transfer, although I wouldn't mind going to UTK I suppose.


Now I get it. So come back to T14 for 3L

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Are you married, engaged or just in a serious relationship ? An earlier post states that you have a girlfriend.
You thoughts don't come across as reasonable, in my opinion.

@Br3v: You may be missing the fact that Tennessee doesn't permit law students to visit for a year, therefore, OP could not go back to the Top 14 without applying as a transfer from Tennessee.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:13 pm

bk1 wrote:2. Wife goes to UTK still, but you guys go to schools successively rather than concurrently so you still get to go to the T14, but she gets to go to UTK. Order is up to you guys.

+1. My fiancée and I are doing this. She'll work for a few years while I'm in school, then go to grad school. You could do it the other way around, too. This way, you both get to receive degrees from (not just attend briefly) your preferred schools.

Why is this not an option?

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:13 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Are you married, engaged or just in a serious relationship ? An earlier post states that you have a girlfriend.
You thoughts don't come across as reasonable, in my opinion.


I would imagine newly wed

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Very newly wed since it was just a week (June 8th) ago that OP referred to her as "a girl" & then as "my fiancee".

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Visiting Year, Maybe Transfer Years

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:25 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Very newly wed since it was just a week (June 8th) ago that OP referred to her as "a girl" & then as "my fiancee".


No need to call out OP. But I see where your going.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, mudiverse and 2 guests