Outlines.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ahduth

Outlines.

Postby ahduth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:00 pm

What are they? I... don't get it. I've read some people's examples. And it looks like... the stuff you're supposed to already know?

Please tell me what I need to know about trading outlines and what not. What's the purpose? Because I'm about to enter law school and it seems... weird.

Trolling is... okay. As long as it includes ellipses.

Re: Outlines.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:03 pm

And organized set of notes that have the details of the law. It's so you don't have to memorize all the rules and notes.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:And organized set of notes that have the details of the law. It's so you don't have to memorize all the rules and notes.

Isn't memorizing this stuff the point?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:11 pm

ahduth wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:And organized set of notes that have the details of the law. It's so you don't have to memorize all the rules and notes.

Nope, it's exactly the opposite of the point. Any moron can memorize rules. They test how well you can apply the rules to the fact pattern they give.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Nope, it's exactly the opposite of the point. Any moron can memorize rules. They test how well you can apply the rules to the fact pattern they give.

So if you can memorize all the rules, you... shouldn't worry about outlines?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:21 pm

ahduth wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ahduth wrote:

So if you can memorize all the rules, you... shouldn't worry about outlines?

1) You won't. Even short outlines are like 10 pages of information, more like 20.

2) You should have them just in case.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ahduth wrote:So if you can memorize all the rules, you... shouldn't worry about outlines?

1) You won't. Even short outlines are like 10 pages of information, more like 20.

That just makes them sound rather... personal. It takes me an incalculably longer time to diagram shit out for other people on Powerpoint presentations and what not. My notes are a huge pile of crap that only I can read.

What am I getting out of other people's outlines?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:31 pm

ahduth wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ahduth wrote:So if you can memorize all the rules, you... shouldn't worry about outlines?

That just makes them sound rather... personal. It takes me an incalculably longer time to diagram shit out for other people on Powerpoint presentations and what not. My notes are a huge pile of crap that only I can read.

What am I getting out of other people's outlines?

Plenty of people find that their own outlines are invaluable and that other people's outlines are shit. Having an old outline might help you check to make sure your outline covers everything. You definitely don't need someone elses outline.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Excellent, I can continue drawing pictures of little spacemen exploring caves on other planets.

I knew this endeavor would be win.

Gizmo

Postby Gizmo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:01 pm

ahduth wrote:Excellent, I can continue drawing pictures of little spacemen exploring caves on other planets.

If this is the conclusion you came to, I don't think it was.

yinz

Postby yinz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Gizmo wrote:
ahduth wrote:Excellent, I can continue drawing pictures of little spacemen exploring caves on other planets.

Concur. And, not thanking/patronizing DesertFox for his insight and help is not cool.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:45 pm

yinz wrote:
Gizmo wrote:

Concur. And, not thanking/patronizing DesertFox for his insight and help is not cool.

What does "patronizing" DF entail, exactly?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:59 pm

yinz wrote:
Gizmo wrote:

Eh, I really couldn't care less. I wouldn't post on TLS if I didn't enjoy it, or had better things to do.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:09 pm

ahduth wrote:
yinz wrote:
Gizmo wrote:

start memorizing the dictionary, rainman

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:12 pm

fatduck wrote:
ahduth wrote:
yinz wrote:Concur. And, not thanking/patronizing DesertFox for his insight and help is not cool.

start memorizing the dictionary, rainman

Fine.

DesertFox. You are a shining beacon of hope for those of us who tremble in fear at the coming law school onslaught. A reason to believe that there will be a future beyond next May. Your words not only give us wisdom, but they give us peace. Which we will need for the trials ahead.

Good?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:19 pm

To put a finer point on it here, DF regularly gives insightful advice on this website. I personally am not clear that I wouldn't want to retain this person as my lawyer. What exactly did I say that was rude or disrespectful?

mths

Postby mths » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:21 pm

ahduth wrote:To put a finer point on it here, DF regularly gives insightful advice on this website. I personally am not clear that I wouldn't want to retain this person as my lawyer. What exactly did I say that was rude or disrespectful?

Not many people would be wise to retain DF as their lawyer.

Zugzwang

Postby Zugzwang » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:23 pm

mths wrote:
ahduth wrote:To put a finer point on it here, DF regularly gives insightful advice on this website. I personally am not clear that I wouldn't want to retain this person as my lawyer. What exactly did I say that was rude or disrespectful?

Bullshit, what could possibly go wrong?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Zugzwang wrote:
mths wrote:

Bullshit, what could possibly go wrong?

What. I've never met DF in real life but... walks like a litigator, talks like a litigator?

I'm probably dead wrong, aren't I.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:16 pm

mths wrote:

Hell even I wouldn't hire me.

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:20 pm

fatduck wrote:start memorizing the dictionary, rainman

:lol:

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm

lulz. I enjoyed reading this thread.

Valid point, DF. I, for one, appreciate it and will remember this for the fall.

CaptainCrunch

Postby CaptainCrunch » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Hell even I wouldn't hire me.

I lolled.

OP, here's the deal. You're going to encounter a gargantuan amount of material in each 1L class. Thus, it will be impractical to review material like you (presumably) did in undergrad. When you've covered 500 pages of readings, it's not feasible to repeatedly skim through it. The point of an outline is to encapsulate/regurgitate the important points of the law into a workable template that you can memorize/utilize for the exam.

Is it absolutely necessary? No. I got the highest grade in one of my classes without making/studying an outline.

Should you do it though? Yes. The key is to start early in the semester. There is a danger in the outline becoming the end in itself. The outline is not an end, it is a means for efficient study.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:48 pm

CaptainCrunch wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Hell even I wouldn't hire me.

I lolled.

OP, here's the deal. You're going to encounter a gargantuan amount of material in each 1L class. Thus, it will be impractical to review material like you (presumably) did in undergrad. When you've covered 500 pages of readings, it's not feasible to repeatedly skim through it. The point of an outline is to encapsulate/regurgitate the important points of the law into a workable template that you can memorize/utilize for the exam.

Is it absolutely necessary? No. I got the highest grade in one of my classes without making/studying an outline.

Should you do it though? Yes. The key is to start early in the semester. There is a danger in the outline becoming the end in itself. The outline is not an end, it is a means for efficient study.

IMO making your own is a waste of time. It is a huge time sink and even if you do it right, you'd be better off doing more practice with someone else's.

CaptainCrunch

Postby CaptainCrunch » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:IMO making your own is a waste of time. It is a huge time sink and even if you do it right, you'd be better off doing more practice with someone else's.

I agree I just wouldn't trust anyone's outline but my own. And maybe Emanuel.

Return to “Law School FAQ”