What people on TLS fail to realize Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
flexityflex86

Silver

Re: What people on TLS fail to realize

Post by flexityflex86 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:45 pm

tyro wrote:The hall director at my dorm in UG told me he went to Rutgers law when I had to meet with him. He was pretty good looking and a nice guy, all of the students seemed to like him. I didn't have the heart to ask why he chose to be a hall director if he had gone to law school.
smoking pot in dorms is a very serious thing, and many brave young men and women in our country dedicate their professional lives to preventing it.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:46 pm

nyc law: so on this front is it fair to argue that once one is in law school, being sharp looking is just as important as doing well in class?

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:53 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:nyc law: so on this front is it fair to argue that once one is in law school, being sharp looking is just as important as doing well in class?
wut

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:57 pm

thelong wrote: This whole thing feels like some guy just wandered into the middle of a library and shouted that reading isn't like, everything man.
:lol:

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:59 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
tyro wrote:The hall director at my dorm in UG told me he went to Rutgers law when I had to meet with him. He was pretty good looking and a nice guy, all of the students seemed to like him. I didn't have the heart to ask why he chose to be a hall director if he had gone to law school.
smoking pot in dorms is a very serious thing, and many brave young men and women in our country dedicate their professional lives to preventing it.
Well what was really neat, he told me, was that there was a little apartment right in the dorm which he got to live in, so it was almost like he was a student just like us!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:00 pm

I think it would have to be more like Jims Daddy is senior partner in the law firm that Bob and Jim are applying to

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:11 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Curry

Post by Curry » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:12 pm

fatduck wrote:Image
I love you.

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:33 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:I say this as a guy who is above average in the looks/style/delivery department narcissistic douchebag
FTFY

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Paraflam

Bronze

Post by Paraflam » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Also,
sambeber wrote:Is it possible that your top choice law school is Rutgers-Newark?
Bingo
JoeC12 wrote:Number 1 choice is Rutgers-Newark.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:42 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:nyc law: so on this front is it fair to argue that once one is in law school, being sharp looking is just as important as doing well in class?
No.

schwar46

Bronze

Post by schwar46 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:44 pm

JoeC12 wrote:I have been reading these forums for quite some time now. Although I have not posted frequently, I believe I have seen enough on here to make a fair assumption on the attitudes of TLS members as well as common misconceptions they have.

A great emphasis of TLS is the top 14 (hence the name of the website). A very large majority of the people on here believe, for the most part, its t-14 or bust. I believe too large an emphasis is placed on the t-14 and what school you go to in general. By no means am I advocating for non-ABA accredited schools. I am speaking mostly about the top 100 and Tier 2 schools. The general consensus on here is that the higher ranked schools have a huge advantage over the schools ranked below them in terms of employment. While the higher ranked school MIGHT give a better opportunity to interview for employment, IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU WILL GET THE JOB SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU GO TO A HIGHER RANKED SCHOOL.

The point I'm trying to make is that too much emphasis is placed on what school you go to and not enough is placed on the actions you take while in that school to secure employment after law school. Hypothetical situation: Bob is a 3L at Cornell University, a top 14 law school. Bob did really well on his LSAT and that granted him admission to one of the best law schools in the country. Bob is highly regarded as a very smart guy, top 25% in his class, law review, etc. However, Bob is overweight and generally doesn't care too much about his appearance. In addition to this, Bob is socially awkward and is not personable whatsoever. Jim is a 3L at Rutgers-Newark, a top 100 law school. Jim is top 25% in his class at Rutgers-Newark and thought of very highly by his peers because of his intellectual ability as well as his personality. Jim is a good looking guy and interviews extremely well. An aura of confidence surrounds Jim and it's contagious. If Bob and Jim are interviewing for the same job, there is no way in hell that Bob gets it over Jim. Most people on this website would automatically assume that Bob will get the job simply because his school is ranked higher. What about your ability to network, personality, appearance, etc? These are often overlooked by people on this site. All things being equal, yea Bob would probably get the job over Jim. But it is extremely rare that applicants for a job are equal in every aspect. When this inequality exists many on this site believe that the one with the higher ranked school always comes out on top. I strongly disagree.

You make a good point here. The entitlement mentality of the folks in the T14 is unbelievable.

slacker

New

Post by slacker » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:07 pm

OP if you have to make up little hypothetical stories like this to feel comfortable attending a certain law school, then you probably shouldn't go there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

areyouinsane

Bronze

Post by areyouinsane » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:10 pm

Um, no.

The Cornell guy gets the jobs hands-down. The R-N guy would never even have gotten an interview. At TTT's like R-N, the tiny handful of biglaw firms showing up for OCI are only interviewing top 5% (maybe even only the Top 5 people in this economy).

You also fail to realize that MOST Law Firm partners are themselves social mutants. Fat, slovenly, and for the most part complete social retards. No normal person could surivive to make partner pushing the bales of useless, boring make-work garbage that comprise the work of the average law firm. Ever read all 965,450 pages of a Global Tri-Lateral Broker Dealer Sub Agreement Addenum looking for the word "shall" as opposed to "may" on pages 456(b) thru 890(c)? Get the picture? Who would be a better fit for such a thankless, boring, tedious, and downright miserable job? Someone suave and outgoing, or some socially mutated geek with no life who will gladly spend 4th of July in his cubicle poring over this crap?

Fact is, a lot of lawyer depression stems from the knowledge that most (if not all) of their work is utterly and absolutely pointless. It also doesn't require much in the way of brains or writing ability, since nearly all of it is some version of cut n' paste. Thus the phony "prestige" of an elite school is really all these nerds have to make themselves feel somewhat less miserable about their miserable job.

Hell, even law firm partners make chump change compared to their clients in finance/hedge funds. Even at the top, this industry is somewhat of a joke in terms of earnings potential.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:23 pm

in your hypo they are both 3Ls already... they're both screwed.. 2L OCI or your world ends

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:26 pm

areyouinsane wrote:Um, no.

The Cornell guy gets the jobs hands-down. The R-N guy would never even have gotten an interview. At TTT's like R-N, the tiny handful of biglaw firms showing up for OCI are only interviewing top 5% (maybe even only the Top 5 people in this economy).

You also fail to realize that most law firm partners are themselves social mutants. Fat, slovenly, and for the most part complete social retards. No normal person could surivive to make partner pushing the bales of useless, boring make-work garbage that comprise the work of the average law firm. Ever read all 965,450 pages of a Global Tri-Lateral Broker Dealer Sub Agreement Addenum looking for the word "shall" as opposed to "may" on pages 456(b) thru 890(c)? Get the picture? Who would be a better fit for such a thankless, boring, tedious, and downright miserable job? Someone suave and outgoing, or some socially mutated geek with no life who will gladly spend 4th of July in his cubicle poring over this crap?

Fact is, a lot of lawyer depression stems from the knowledge that most (if not all) of their work is utterly and absolutely pointless. It also doesn't require much in the way of brains or writing ability, since nearly all of it is some version of cut n' paste. Thus the phony "prestige" of an elite school is really all these nerds have to make themselves feel somewhat less miserable about their miserable job.

Hell, even law firm partners make chump change compared to their clients in finance/hedge funds. Even at the top, this industry is somewhat of a joke in terms of earnings potential.

This is pessimistic even for this website. But cool story bro!

WayBryson

Bronze

Post by WayBryson » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:36 pm

NYC Law wrote:
JoeC12 wrote:Ok so let me give everyone an indication of this horrible situation I find myself in. I am scheduled to take the LSAT in 3 days. My goal is a 158. My last few pt's have been 157,158,161,159 respectively. I figured that today I would take one more practice test, get my confidence up, and do absolutely no LSAT work till Monday to let my brain adjust. However, this strategy completely backfired on me.

Today I took the June 2010 LSAT and scored a 150!!! I'm freaking out. I got 10 correct on games (usually my best section) and 11 on the first LR. I don't know what the hell I should do. Am I burnt out? Over the past three weeks I have been dedicating about 4-5 hours a day on LSAT related work. At a time when my confidence should be high, it has absolutely tanked today. I'm now questioning if law school is for me. I'm lost. I have anxiety just typing this right now. Should I withdraw from the June test? Should I take it, see how it is and perhaps cancel? Please please someone help me.
--ImageRemoved--
:D :D :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Curry wrote:
fatduck wrote:Image
I love you.
He makes me proud to go to UF.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:47 pm

JoeC12 wrote:I have been reading these forums for quite some time now. Although I have not posted frequently, I believe I have seen enough on here to make a fair assumption on the attitudes of TLS members as well as common misconceptions they have.

A great emphasis of TLS is the top 14 (hence the name of the website). A very large majority of the people on here believe, for the most part, its t-14 or bust. I believe too large an emphasis is placed on the t-14 and what school you go to in general. By no means am I advocating for non-ABA accredited schools. I am speaking mostly about the top 100 and Tier 2 schools. The general consensus on here is that the higher ranked schools have a huge advantage over the schools ranked below them in terms of employment. While the higher ranked school MIGHT give a better opportunity to interview for employment, IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU WILL GET THE JOB SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU GO TO A HIGHER RANKED SCHOOL.

The point I'm trying to make is that too much emphasis is placed on what school you go to and not enough is placed on the actions you take while in that school to secure employment after law school. Hypothetical situation: Bob is a 3L at Cornell University, a top 14 law school. Bob did really well on his LSAT and that granted him admission to one of the best law schools in the country. Bob is highly regarded as a very smart guy, top 25% in his class, law review, etc. However, Bob is overweight and generally doesn't care too much about his appearance. In addition to this, Bob is socially awkward and is not personable whatsoever. Jim is a 3L at Rutgers-Newark, a top 100 law school. Jim is top 25% in his class at Rutgers-Newark and thought of very highly by his peers because of his intellectual ability as well as his personality. Jim is a good looking guy and interviews extremely well. An aura of confidence surrounds Jim and it's contagious. If Bob and Jim are interviewing for the same job, there is no way in hell that Bob gets it over Jim. Most people on this website would automatically assume that Bob will get the job simply because his school is ranked higher. What about your ability to network, personality, appearance, etc? These are often overlooked by people on this site. All things being equal, yea Bob would probably get the job over Jim. But it is extremely rare that applicants for a job are equal in every aspect. When this inequality exists many on this site believe that the one with the higher ranked school always comes out on top. I strongly disagree.
There are at least a couple top 25% lower-T14 people at my firm but all the lower T100 folks are top 1% and extremely attractive on top of that.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:34 am

schwar46 wrote:You make a good point here. The entitlement mentality of the folks in the T14 is unbelievable.
STFU, RIP dropout.

CaptainCrunch

New

Post by CaptainCrunch » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:11 pm

chimp wrote:--ImageRemoved--
This is probably the greatest post I've ever seen.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:12 pm

CaptainCrunch wrote:

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:13 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:
CaptainCrunch wrote:

+1 this made me LOL

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:06 pm

LOL at getting into even Rutgers-Newark with a 150 LSAT.

CaptainCrunch

New

Post by CaptainCrunch » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:16 pm

OP got ripped to shreds. I really think we can handle these well-meaning yet misguided posts with more gentleness. I guess what I'm saying is... more Kramer, less number bashing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”