What people on TLS fail to realize Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hds2388

Bronze

Re: What people on TLS fail to realize

Post by hds2388 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:50 pm

However, if neither get the job, Jim is out of luck. Bob has 9 more interviews this week and a lunch with a guy who has never heard of Rutgers but knows Cornell simply by name.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Smokin' Elle Woods went to Harvard :D

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:23 pm

Out of all the things TLS fails to realize, this is what you write? smh

apollo13

Bronze

Post by apollo13 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:34 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
JoeC12 wrote:Hypothetical situation: Bob is a 3L at Cornell University, a top 14 law school. Bob did really well on his LSAT and that granted him admission to one of the best law schools in the country. Bob is highly regarded as a very smart guy, top 25% in his class, law review, etc. However, Bob is overweight and generally doesn't care too much about his appearance. In addition to this, Bob is socially awkward and is not personable whatsoever. Jim is a 3L at Rutgers-Newark, a top 100 law school. Jim is top 25% in his class at Rutgers-Newark and thought of very highly by his peers because of his intellectual ability as well as his personality. Jim is a good looking guy and interviews extremely well. An aura of confidence surrounds Jim and it's contagious. If Bob and Jim are interviewing for the same job, there is no way in hell that Bob gets it over Jim.
I'm sure this has been said already, but you're fucking retarded
LOL!
In all seriousness, isn't it obvious that, of course, good social networking is always a plus? It's not like TLS is an ideologue, who sees the world in black or white, or in this case, the Top14 grad = always awkward, nerdy fucks. Wake up pal, get on the ellipticals while you are at it.

longhornlaw

Bronze

Post by longhornlaw » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Op hasn't taken the LSAT yet. /thread

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:59 pm

JoeC12 wrote:Ok so let me give everyone an indication of this horrible situation I find myself in. I am scheduled to take the LSAT in 3 days. My goal is a 158. My last few pt's have been 157,158,161,159 respectively. I figured that today I would take one more practice test, get my confidence up, and do absolutely no LSAT work till Monday to let my brain adjust. However, this strategy completely backfired on me.

Today I took the June 2010 LSAT and scored a 150!!! I'm freaking out. I got 10 correct on games (usually my best section) and 11 on the first LR. I don't know what the hell I should do. Am I burnt out? Over the past three weeks I have been dedicating about 4-5 hours a day on LSAT related work. At a time when my confidence should be high, it has absolutely tanked today. I'm now questioning if law school is for me. I'm lost. I have anxiety just typing this right now. Should I withdraw from the June test? Should I take it, see how it is and perhaps cancel? Please please someone help me.
--ImageRemoved--

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:02 pm

This was funny; dumb, but funny.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:04 pm

Well that explains a lot

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:05 pm

This thread delivered.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Moral of the story: Whatever you do, don't be fat. It doesn't matter where you go to school as long as you aren't fat.

Former (or current) fat boy perhaps?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:07 pm

NYC Law wrote:
JoeC12 wrote:Ok so let me give everyone an indication of this horrible situation I find myself in. I am scheduled to take the LSAT in 3 days. My goal is a 158. My last few pt's have been 157,158,161,159 respectively. I figured that today I would take one more practice test, get my confidence up, and do absolutely no LSAT work till Monday to let my brain adjust. However, this strategy completely backfired on me.

Today I took the June 2010 LSAT and scored a 150!!! I'm freaking out. I got 10 correct on games (usually my best section) and 11 on the first LR. I don't know what the hell I should do. Am I burnt out? Over the past three weeks I have been dedicating about 4-5 hours a day on LSAT related work. At a time when my confidence should be high, it has absolutely tanked today. I'm now questioning if law school is for me. I'm lost. I have anxiety just typing this right now. Should I withdraw from the June test? Should I take it, see how it is and perhaps cancel? Please please someone help me.
--ImageRemoved--
::high fives NYC Law::

welcome to TLS bro

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Nice try, libertarian.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:56 pm

JoeC12 wrote:However, Bob is overweight and generally doesn't care too much about his appearance. In addition to this, Bob is socially awkward and is not personable whatsoever.
Umm. I am not hiring this person. They sound bad, in a variety of ways.

Uhhh... what was the question?

Whatever it was, take up running, it feels great.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thelong

Silver

Post by thelong » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:14 pm

I'm not sure what the question is. I'm also not entirely clear on what the OP would suggest as an alternative to his hypothetical situation. I mean, taken to its conclusion is he saying that Bob is just shit out of luck or just shit out of luck whenever there is a Jim? What?

OP, you're making a generalization off of some shady assumptions.

I'm not likely to get into HYS, and it may be a stretch to get into Michigan. I don't have any illusions and I'm not tearing my hair out over it. I graduated from undergrad with honors, but just barely, four years ago and am almost precluded from going to the t6 because of that. In fact, my best chance right now (still waiting on LSAT, but going off of my PT average) is going to be BU or BC. Should I just not try to go to a higher ranked school? Am I tearing my hair out with worry that I won't be able to do well post law school? No, not really. And, I think that most of the posters here pretty realistically assess their position and make rational choices regarding their future, even if this isn't always reflected in posts concerned mainly with getting into elite institutions. I could be mistaken, four years out of school has taught me that things are increasingly gray as you go along, when you once thought they were very black and white.

Are you just trying to say that rank isn't everything? I'm pretty sure most would agree with you.

This whole thing feels like some guy just wandered into the middle of a library and shouted that reading isn't like, everything man.

Also, am...am I just feeding the troll here?

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:19 pm

NYC Law wrote:

LOL I did not realize this was that guy haha :lol: :lol:

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:31 pm

This post amazed me.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:31 pm

I say this as a guy who is above average in the looks/style/delivery department, and will likely bypass low t-14 to go to a t-20 because I love the school and city, and think we're all going to be homeless regardless, but I think the firm would be making a big mistake by not hiring Bob in this scenario.

Most of law does not work like a Law & Order episode, and Bob likely won't be in court that much. I don't think partners care how good Bob or Jim look in a speedo. They care who will get shit done. Given their resumes, Bob is a much better bet to know how to do shit.

Also, on the social awkwardness front, a lot of times social awkwardness particularly when in front of a group is brought on by a lack of self confidence. When Bob is making 160k (pending he gets the job), he would likely have at least one girl of at least relative attractiveness really into him pending him being up to par on the humor, intelligence, artistic or some front. What I mean to say is Bob, eventually, will gain confidence to bring his confidence somewhat closer to Jim's relatively quickly. How many 1L's are petrified to speak in class, but would be the fonz in front of an undergrad history class? Awkwardness generally lessens with experience winning. Intelligence is somewhat harder to fix, and being top 25% at Cornell is normally assumed to mean one is smarter in the area of law than someone in the top 25% at Rutgers.

Law does require social skills, but it is more analytical than most other professions. As long as Bob is not an asshole who comes off rude or like he'll back stab others, I think his co-workers will forgive him and that other lawyers will judge him based off his intellect and skill in law during litigation as Bob will likely never have to go to trial court.

On the looks front, personally, I won't think a guy is cool just because he's good looking. If he dresses well and has a style to him, I'd likely think he's cool until he says something. I'd imagine the woman Bob gets when he makes 160k can teach him how to dress better.
Last edited by flexityflex86 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:32 pm

JoeC12 wrote: While the higher ranked school MIGHT give a better opportunity to interview for employment, IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU WILL GET THE JOB SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU GO TO A HIGHER RANKED SCHOOL.
Holy shit, someone stop the presses. NO ONE HAS EVER BEFORE COME TO THIS CONCLUSION.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:34 pm

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Also: taxguy, gtf in here

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:35 pm

How fat is Bob here? OP might have a point. If Bob is 800 pounds, and will likely have a heart attack in a week, the firm might be afraid of having to pay work man's comp.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:36 pm

I don't understand this thread.

Is this about how better looking people get better results in... everything?

Is that news?

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:37 pm

The hall director at my dorm in UG told me he went to Rutgers law when I had to meet with him. He was pretty good looking and a nice guy, all of the students seemed to like him. I didn't have the heart to ask why he chose to be a hall director if he had gone to law school.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:38 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:I say this as a guy who is above average in the looks/style/delivery department, and will likely bypass low t-14 to go to a t-20 because I love the school and city, and think we're all going to be homeless regardless, but I think the firm would be making a big mistake by not hiring Bob in this scenario.

Most of law does not work like a Law & Order episode, and Bob likely won't be in court that much. I don't think partners care how good Bob or Jim look in a speedo. They care who will get shit done. Given their resumes, Bob is a much better bet to know how to do shit.

Also, on the social awkwardness front, a lot of times social awkwardness particularly when in front of a group is brought on by a lack of self confidence. When Bob is making 160k (pending he gets the job), he would likely have at least one girl of at least relative attractiveness really into him pending him being up to par on the humor, intelligence, artistic or some front. What I mean to say is Bob, eventually, will gain confidence to bring his confidence somewhat closer to Jim's relatively quickly. How many 1L's are petrified to speak in class, but would be the fonz in front of an undergrad history class? Awkwardness generally lessens with experience winning. Intelligence is somewhat harder to fix, and being top 25% at Cornell is normally assumed to mean one is smarter in the area of law than someone in the top 25% at Rutgers.

Law does require social skills, but it is more analytical than most other professions. As long as Bob is not an asshole who comes off rude or like he'll back stab others, I think his co-workers will forgive him and that other lawyers will judge him based off his intellect and skill in law during litigation as Bob will likely never have to go to trial court.

On the looks front, personally, I won't think a guy is cool just because he's good looking. If he dresses well and has a style to him, I'd likely think he's cool until he says something. I'd imagine the woman Bob gets when he makes 160k can teach him how to dress better.
TL;DR, but I'm sure you're over-analyzing a moot issue.
The premise is illogical, the correct way of looking at it would be:
Will Bob have better prospects if he graduates from Cornell or Rutgers?
Will Jim have better prospects if he graduates from Cornell or Rutgers?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”