What people on TLS fail to realize Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
NYC Law

Gold

Re: What people on TLS fail to realize

Post by NYC Law » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:56 pm

CaptainCrunch wrote:OP got ripped to shreds. I really think we can handle these well-meaning yet misguided posts with more gentleness. I guess what I'm saying is... more Kramer, less number bashing.

Bob could look like this, and he would still get the job over Jim.

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:07 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
CaptainCrunch wrote:OP got ripped to shreds. I really think we can handle these well-meaning yet misguided posts with more gentleness. I guess what I'm saying is... more Kramer, less number bashing.

Bob could look like this, and he would still get the job over Jim.

+1 diversity boost

CaptainCrunch

New

Post by CaptainCrunch » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Once again, teh lulz are delivered in abundance.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:37 pm

The whole overweight thing

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:17 am

Seinfeld .gifs are "bringing the lulz." My god TLS is lamer than I even had imagined.

Zugzwang

Bronze

Post by Zugzwang » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:19 am

Desert Fox wrote:Seinfeld .gifs are "bringing the lulz." My god TLS is lamer than I even had imagined.
Probably a lingering effect of BP.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:20 am

Zugzwang wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Seinfeld .gifs are "bringing the lulz." My god TLS is lamer than I even had imagined.
Probably true. Once you kill the lulz on a site it's all downhill from there.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:21 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:30 am

naterj wrote:This has got to be the most retardedest thing I've ever read.
Agreed, but also possibly my favorite thread on TLS. Had to close the door to my office.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:31 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Zugzwang wrote:
Probably true. Once you kill the lulz on a site it's all downhill from there.
TCR x 3.

virgilcaine86

New

Post by virgilcaine86 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:16 pm

JoeC12 wrote:I have been reading these forums for quite some time now. Although I have not posted frequently, I believe I have seen enough on here to make a fair assumption on the attitudes of TLS members as well as common misconceptions they have.

A great emphasis of TLS is the top 14 (hence the name of the website). A very large majority of the people on here believe, for the most part, its t-14 or bust. I believe too large an emphasis is placed on the t-14 and what school you go to in general. By no means am I advocating for non-ABA accredited schools. I am speaking mostly about the top 100 and Tier 2 schools. The general consensus on here is that the higher ranked schools have a huge advantage over the schools ranked below them in terms of employment. While the higher ranked school MIGHT give a better opportunity to interview for employment, IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU WILL GET THE JOB SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU GO TO A HIGHER RANKED SCHOOL.

The point I'm trying to make is that too much emphasis is placed on what school you go to and not enough is placed on the actions you take while in that school to secure employment after law school. Hypothetical situation: Bob is a 3L at Cornell University, a top 14 law school. Bob did really well on his LSAT and that granted him admission to one of the best law schools in the country. Bob is highly regarded as a very smart guy, top 25% in his class, law review, etc. However, Bob is overweight and generally doesn't care too much about his appearance. In addition to this, Bob is socially awkward and is not personable whatsoever. Jim is a 3L at Rutgers-Newark, a top 100 law school. Jim is top 25% in his class at Rutgers-Newark and thought of very highly by his peers because of his intellectual ability as well as his personality. Jim is a good looking guy and interviews extremely well. An aura of confidence surrounds Jim and it's contagious. If Bob and Jim are interviewing for the same job, there is no way in hell that Bob gets it over Jim. Most people on this website would automatically assume that Bob will get the job simply because his school is ranked higher. What about your ability to network, personality, appearance, etc? These are often overlooked by people on this site. All things being equal, yea Bob would probably get the job over Jim. But it is extremely rare that applicants for a job are equal in every aspect. When this inequality exists many on this site believe that the one with the higher ranked school always comes out on top. I strongly disagree.
I couldnt have said it any better

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:17 pm

It's the lamest site on the web, bro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:26 pm

virgilcaine86 wrote:
JoeC12 wrote:I have been reading these forums for quite some time now. Although I have not posted frequently, I believe I have seen enough on here to make a fair assumption on the attitudes of TLS members as well as common misconceptions they have.

A great emphasis of TLS is the top 14 (hence the name of the website). A very large majority of the people on here believe, for the most part, its t-14 or bust. I believe too large an emphasis is placed on the t-14 and what school you go to in general. By no means am I advocating for non-ABA accredited schools. I am speaking mostly about the top 100 and Tier 2 schools. The general consensus on here is that the higher ranked schools have a huge advantage over the schools ranked below them in terms of employment. While the higher ranked school MIGHT give a better opportunity to interview for employment, IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU WILL GET THE JOB SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU GO TO A HIGHER RANKED SCHOOL.

The point I'm trying to make is that too much emphasis is placed on what school you go to and not enough is placed on the actions you take while in that school to secure employment after law school. Hypothetical situation: Bob is a 3L at Cornell University, a top 14 law school. Bob did really well on his LSAT and that granted him admission to one of the best law schools in the country. Bob is highly regarded as a very smart guy, top 25% in his class, law review, etc. However, Bob is overweight and generally doesn't care too much about his appearance. In addition to this, Bob is socially awkward and is not personable whatsoever. Jim is a 3L at Rutgers-Newark, a top 100 law school. Jim is top 25% in his class at Rutgers-Newark and thought of very highly by his peers because of his intellectual ability as well as his personality. Jim is a good looking guy and interviews extremely well. An aura of confidence surrounds Jim and it's contagious. If Bob and Jim are interviewing for the same job, there is no way in hell that Bob gets it over Jim. Most people on this website would automatically assume that Bob will get the job simply because his school is ranked higher. What about your ability to network, personality, appearance, etc? These are often overlooked by people on this site. All things being equal, yea Bob would probably get the job over Jim. But it is extremely rare that applicants for a job are equal in every aspect. When this inequality exists many on this site believe that the one with the higher ranked school always comes out on top. I strongly disagree.
I couldnt have said it any better
Sorry, coming out of Cumberland, you're not getting the job over Bob either

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Sorry, coming out of Cumberland, you're not getting the job over Bob either
I don't think you understand. Bob is FAT.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:33 pm

chimp wrote:
It's the lamest site on the web, bro.
What? Have you been to Fox News?

CaptainCrunch

New

Post by CaptainCrunch » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:35 pm

It's also rife with douche-bags who act like they're above it all while remaining one of the most prolific contributors. You're right, this place is the pits.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:44 pm

Magnolia wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Sorry, coming out of Cumberland, you're not getting the job over Bob either
overweight

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:48 pm

Br3v wrote:
Magnolia wrote:
overweight
And don't forget, he also doesn't care about his appearance. I'm envisioning pre-weight-loss Peter Jackson here.

And come to think of it, if an applicant reminded me of the guy who made that crappy giant ape movie, maybe I wouldn't hire him.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Do we know Bob is a he? There seem to be assumptions galore here. Bob could be a butch female. And how overweight is overweight? Is Bob one of those people who needs a swat team to help him get out of bed? I picture a Java The Hut legal expert here.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:29 pm

I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I'm going to post it anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:37 pm

NYC Law wrote:I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I'm going to post it anyway.
While Bob has many shortcomings with regards to his personality, he always perks up in late October and is one of the most enthusiasticly costumed party-goers every Halloween.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:37 pm

NYC Law wrote:I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I'm going to post it anyway.
Reminds me of my ex-wife

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:42 am

--ImageRemoved--

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:40 am

memphisbelle wrote:Moral of the story: Whatever you do, don't be fat. It doesn't matter where you go to school as long as you aren't fat.

Former (or current) fat boy perhaps?
wow wow wow
You're one to talk, Missy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”