Applying to law school with CLEP & DSST credits

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
countingnotes

Applying to law school with CLEP & DSST credits

Postby countingnotes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:44 pm

I'm working towards B.S. in Business with a concentration in Economics from an accredited university, and I currently have about three semesters left. When I finish though, almost half of my degree will be from CLEP and DSST credits. I would like to go to Columbia's law school as they offer the 3 year JD/MBA program and is within reasonable distance from where I live. Does anyone have any experience applying to law school with CLEP/DSST credits...if so, was this a problem? How did it affect your LSAC gpa, etc.? Any tips, suggestions, advice? Thank you so much in advance for your replies!!

DocHawkeye

Re: Applying to law school with CLEP & DSST credits

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:23 pm

countingnotes wrote:I'm working towards B.S. in Business with a concentration in Economics from an accredited university, and I currently have about three semesters left. When I finish though, almost half of my degree will be from CLEP and DSST credits. I would like to go to Columbia's law school as they offer the 3 year JD/MBA program and is within reasonable distance from where I live. Does anyone have any experience applying to law school with CLEP/DSST credits...if so, was this a problem? How did it affect your LSAC gpa, etc.? Any tips, suggestions, advice? Thank you so much in advance for your replies!!

I had 6 hours of CLEP credit on my UG transcript. Be careful to note who actually awarded the CLEP credit - mine showed up as tranfer credit from a community college. Thus I had to get a transcript which contained no actual grades from a community college that I never really attended in order to account for all of my UG credits.

ehall20

Postby ehall20 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:16 am

Last edited by ehall20 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:41 pm

CLEP/DSST credits do not affect your GPA as long as the institution you transfer them to does not award letter grades to them. However, if you have more than 60 pass/fail credits, LSAC will not calculate a GPA for you.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:18 pm

I had 56 credit hours from A.P... wasn't a problem.
Last edited by typ3 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ehall20

Postby ehall20 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Last edited by ehall20 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:46 pm

If you don't mind my asking, does UMUC set a cap at 60 non-trad units, or was that a personal choice?

EDIT> found my answer online, never mind. :p

Return to “Law School FAQ”