1L winter break, spring break, etc... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ktc88

New

1L winter break, spring break, etc...

Post by ktc88 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:19 pm

My question is: Do the majority of students find there are law related things to be dealt with during the breaks?

My girlfriend and I were thinking about planning a vacation during my spring break. But, law school overrides any other endeavor for me right now so I don't want to buy plane tickets / hotels and then find out there is something I'm going to be needing to work on during spring break.

For example, I know that the competition to write on the law review is at the end of the second semester, so planning a vacation directly after my second semester would be a bad idea.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit to avoid flame: The reason I am thinking about this so early is b/c it is to go visit her family in France. I want to buy this plane ticket far in advance, not the month before spring break when I would have a better idea if it was a good idea or not.
Last edited by ktc88 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Platinum

Re: 1L winter break, spring break, etc...

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Go on vacation during winter break, but I'd advise against spring break. It's during the semester, and there's always stuff to be doing during the semester.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:21 pm

If you don't line up employment by late november before exams start, winter break is essential. I used spring break to interview in my secondary target market cross country. Needless to say, my employment cycle took longer than I would have liked.

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:21 pm

beach_terror wrote:Go on vacation during winter break.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:23 pm

beach_terror wrote:Go on vacation during winter break, but I'd advise against spring break. It's during the semester, and there's always stuff to be doing during the semester.
Unless you have LWR due after Spring break all you have is exam prep. And depending on when your break is it might be way to early for that.

I think taking a SB trip is fine, but winter break is much better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ktc88

New

Post by ktc88 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Cupidity wrote:If you don't line up employment by late november before exams start, winter break is essential. I used spring break to interview in my secondary target market cross country. Needless to say, my employment cycle took longer than I would have liked.
Isn't it hard to line up employment before getting your first semesters grades?

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:26 pm

ktc88 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:If you don't line up employment by late november before exams start, winter break is essential. I used spring break to interview in my secondary target market cross country. Needless to say, my employment cycle took longer than I would have liked.
Isn't it hard to line up employment before getting your first semesters grades?
All firm applications need to be sent by December 15th, some hire without grades based on college stats, but a thats a tiny percentage. A number of judges hired students without grades on the basis of resume, interview, writing sample.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:29 pm

How can you line up employment before November when you can't apply to firms before Dec. 1?

A lot of smaller employers don't even interview til March because they don't know what their needs will be for the summer. I had the interview that led to my summer job the week before spring break.

OP, go ahead and go on vacation. Spring break is too early for exam prep anyway. The only time I would recommend not going on vacation is Thanksgiving break, cuz that is pretty close to exam time

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
How can you line up employment before November when you can't apply to firms before Dec. 1?

A lot of smaller employers don't even interview til March because they don't know what their needs will be for the summer. I had the interview that led to my summer job the week before spring break.

OP, go ahead and go on vacation. Spring break is too early for exam prep anyway. The only time I would recommend not going on vacation is Thanksgiving break, cuz that is pretty close to exam time
Line up isn't the best word. I guess "set-up" would have been better. Once you have a mail merge, addressed envelopes to judges, etc. it's just a matter of clicking a few times. If you haven't set-up all of your stuff, you need to do it over winter break.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:35 pm

Oh yeah I see what you mean. That's a good point. I guess I was assuming he would have time to get that stuff done in November

Exeter

New

Post by Exeter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:39 pm

tag

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”