How to Move Cross Country for law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
swilson215

Silver

Re: How to Move Cross Country for law school?

Post by swilson215 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:13 pm

Flips88 wrote:I just ran the numbers on a moving truck versus buying stuff from IKEA:

Depending on gas mileage (could be 6mpg to 10 mpg according to the website), it would run me $722-909

To buy new stuff from IKEA (bed, mattress, couch, desk/dinner table, couple chairs, dresser, and a bookshelf) would be $730-907

So it's basically a push. Not sure what to do. Though, if I spend more on furniture it'd mean upgrading to a queen sized bed which would be very appreciated.
It's always nice to have new stuff!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Chupavida wrote:ABF U-pack is the credited response for anyone with an apartment full of furniture. Cheaper than PODS and the like.

They drop off a semi trailer, you fill what you need, and then wall it off with a divider. They'll drive it across the country, and even store it for you. I moved to the midwest, and it was the cheapest option that didn't involve me driving a shitty-ass uhaul across the country.
Our med school friends did this on their move from NYC to Portland, OR and had a good experience (though they loaded at the terminal in NY). My husband and I went with the ABF ReloCube terminal to terminal from NY to Ohio. Our's was only $200, but we had a $50 off coupon and moved on an off-peak day.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:51 pm

What if you're moving into an urban high-rise type apartment? Is it possible to park a pod/cube there?

I'm deferred so I have a year+ to figure this stuff out, fortunately.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:What if you're moving into an urban high-rise type apartment? Is it possible to park a pod/cube there?

It depends on the city, but typically the terminal option is better, and then you can get local movers or a Penske truck to move your stuff from the terminal to the apartment.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:45 pm

Lwoods wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:What if you're moving into an urban high-rise type apartment? Is it possible to park a pod/cube there?

It depends on the city, but typically the terminal option is better, and then you can get local movers or a Penske truck to move your stuff from the terminal to the apartment.
Thanks. This suburban princess will be learning lots of practical city-living things over the next few years, I imagine. (I just learned about grocery delivery, after wondering how to get cases of soda and 25-lb boxes of cat litter home from the store on public transportation.) :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Thanks. This suburban princess will be learning lots of practical city-living things over the next few years, I imagine. (I just learned about grocery delivery, after wondering how to get cases of soda and 25-lb boxes of cat litter home from the store on public transportation.) :)
Grocery delivery is the best. Also, if it doesn't skeeve you out, wash & fold (with or without delivery) for laundry is pretty sweet.

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:54 pm

I would say usually the answer is yes, though it might be a little bit of a hassle. Probably no more or less hassle than dealing with a moving truck in the same location.

If there is a sidewalk wide enough in front of your place, physical placement should not be a problem, but the city will likely require you to get a sidewalk permit for the days you will have the cube in place. Call up the local agency for the cube or POD company and ask them about what permits are needed for your neighborhood; sometimes they will get it for you, and you just have to pay them for the handling; others will make you get the permit yourself.

When I moved out of an apartment in downtown SF, we didn't have a problem getting the cubes placed on the sidewalk in front of the building; we just had to get up early and grab a couple street spaces to block out an approach for the forklift, and we left a car parked in front of them until move-out day, so they wouldn't get blocked in.

Hills can also be an issue, obviously, in some places. Fortunately we lived at a corner, so we had a level cross street; the street our door was on would not have worked. If you're in an area where the cube can't be physically or legally placed on the sidewalk or in a street parking space, then terminal loading is probably your only option.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Any suggestion for who to use for shipping a car?

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Great thread! I currently live in a 3 bedroom house. I'm having two yard sales and
donating my nice heavy furniture to loved ones. I will be traveling over 2000 miles with a small moving truck (Budget so far is cheaper then Uhual) and a hitch pulling my car. But, here lies my dilemma, I'm traveling with a small dog and two crated cats in the driver's cab. How are my cats going to use their litter boxes? Oh Jeez, I've never done this sort of thing before. I've traved with my cats but not anything further than 4 hrs. I wasn't planning on stopping and renting any motel or hotel rooms.
Any suggestions?

TY

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:28 pm

singingkris wrote:Great thread! I currently live in a 3 bedroom house. I'm having two yard sales and
donating my nice heavy furniture to loved ones. I will be traveling over 2000 miles with a small moving truck (Budget so far is cheaper then Uhual) and a hitch pulling my car. But, here lies my dilemma, I'm traveling with a small dog and two crated cats in the driver's cab. How are my cats going to use their litter boxes? Oh Jeez, I've never done this sort of thing before. I've traved with my cats but not anything further than 4 hrs. I wasn't planning on stopping and renting any motel or hotel rooms.
Any suggestions?

TY
2000 miles without stopping at any hotels? Even if you average 65mph (you won't be going very fast towing a bunch of stuff), that's a 31 hour trip without accounting for stops. You should really break that trip up into 3 days (2 days minimum).

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:29 pm

no

sleep

til brooklyn

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:34 pm

singingkris wrote:Great thread! I currently live in a 3 bedroom house. I'm having two yard sales and
Any suggestions?

TY
Free Coffee at rest stops. It aint gonna be fun, but its doable. I drove from Michigan to Washington (state) nonstop and it was pretty shitty. The best way to do it is to pull over a rest stop and pass out for like 5 hours then get back to it.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:20 pm

I am possibly moving to New York City from San Fran., so I will not have a car and it is absurd to pay for a UHaul or even these freights. I think I will buying a lot of new crap

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:22 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I am possibly moving to New York City from San Fran., so I will not have a car and it is absurd to pay for a UHaul or even these freights. I think I will buying a lot of new crap
I think that is TCR in your situation.

I think I'll end up going to the IKEA route as well. it'll basically cost me the same either way and it'd be a much less of a hassle without having to lug a bunch of shit 800 miles in a truck. I might even get to upgrade to a queen size bed...if my apartment is big enough for one :|

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Anyone have some reviews about IKEA mattresses?
Like is there a noticeable difference in quality with the $50 difference between spring mattresses?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:46 pm

Flips88 wrote:Anyone have some reviews about IKEA mattresses?
Like is there a noticeable difference in quality with the $50 difference between spring mattresses?
i recommend buying your mattress elsewhere.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:48 pm

fatduck wrote:
I don't really have $300-400 to drop on a good mattress. I have a good mattress but don't have a cheap way to get it up there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Flips88 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
I don't really have $300-400 to drop on a good mattress. I have a good mattress but don't have a cheap way to get it up there.
You could always buy the cheapest most comfortable mattress w/a decent warranty, and then buy a mattress pillow top (from Big Lots, Walmart, etc.)..

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:57 pm

fatduck wrote:
I've slept on an Ikea mattress for about 5 years now, and not even one with springs. It's fine. *

*But I grew up sleeping on a futon and I pretty much just want a mattress to be as firm as possible. I hate squishy mattresses, or ones that move when you sit on them.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
I've slept on an Ikea mattress for about 5 years now, and not even one with springs. It's fine. *

*But I grew up sleeping on a futon and I pretty much just want a mattress to be as firm as possible. I hate squishy mattresses, or ones that move when you sit on them.
they're not bad or anything, just overpriced in my opinion

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:54 am

Flips88 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I am possibly moving to New York City from San Fran., so I will not have a car and it is absurd to pay for a UHaul or even these freights. I think I will buying a lot of new crap
I think that is TCR in your situation.

I think I'll end up going to the IKEA route as well. it'll basically cost me the same either way and it'd be a much less of a hassle without having to lug a bunch of shit 800 miles in a truck. I might even get to upgrade to a queen size bed...if my apartment is big enough for one :|

I PRAY that I get student housing that is furnished.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:58 am

jarofsoup wrote: I PRAY that I get student housing that is furnished.
Eh, I couldn't handle the chance of getting a twin sized bed.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:30 pm

Flips88 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote: I PRAY that I get student housing that is furnished.
Eh, I couldn't handle the chance of getting a twin sized bed.
yea, they're really narrow.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm driving from San Diego to Ithaca, 2,700 miles with just the road for company.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Any recommendations on companies to use to ship a car cross-country?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”