Moving from LA to Philly Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Peace of Mind

Bronze

Moving from LA to Philly

Post by Peace of Mind » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:03 pm

I will be moving from LA to Philly and I will not be bringing my car so I cannot pack up my car with my stuff and move it. I will be going to IKEA and buying the essentials when I get there and anywhere else I can find the necessities on the cheap. I do need to move my clothes, shoes, books and a few personal items however.

What do you suggest is the cheapest way to do this?

I thought about packing my stuff in boxes, max 5 and shipping them. Do you guys think this would be the most economical way?

I have already looked online but many of the sites I have come across don't give you pricing unfortunetly. Any sites you'd reccommend I check out?

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated! :)

sarahlawg

Silver

Re: Moving from LA to Philly

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:I will be moving from LA to Philly and I will not be bringing my car so I cannot pack up my car with my stuff and move it. I will be going to IKEA and buying the essentials when I get there and anywhere else I can find the necessities on the cheap. I do need to move my clothes, shoes, books and a few personal items however.

What do you suggest is the cheapest way to do this?

I thought about packing my stuff in boxes, max 5 and shipping them. Do you guys think this would be the most economical way?

I have already looked online but many of the sites I have come across don't give you pricing unfortunetly. Any sites you'd reccommend I check out?

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated! :)
My friend shipped a ton of stuff (13 boxes, over 300lbs) through Amtrak and it worked really well for cheap (I think it was $230). For an even 500lbs it's $275. It went across the country in 5 days. No furniture and it has to fit into at largest a 3x3 box (like home depot's large box). I think this is what I'm going to do with my stuff, though. I think it's definitely cheaper than mailing.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:27 pm

I did this to move cross-country, except with like 10 boxes, and shipped them by UPS. It was a couple of years ago, so I don't recall exactly how much it cost, but it was actually pretty reasonable, especially if you don't over-pack them to the point that they consider them "bulky items" based on the weight of the box.

If you end up using just home depot-type moving boxes (typically the cheapest alternative), double/triple tape the shit out of all the edges/corners/flaps, because they are not all that sturdy, and get pretty beat up.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Depending on how much you have it might be cheaper to use freight shipping (a lot of them will also palletize your boxes for a cost) as opposed to USPS/UPS/FedEx.

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:00 pm

bk187 wrote:Depending on how much you have it might be cheaper to use freight shipping (a lot of them will also palletize your boxes for a cost) as opposed to USPS/UPS/FedEx.
What exactly is freight shipping? Company name?

Thanks for all the responses! I will look into all of these. I like the Amtrak idea the best so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:09 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests.
Tagged.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:11 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:What exactly is freight shipping? Company name?

Thanks for all the responses! I will look into all of these. I like the Amtrak idea the best so far.
A bunch of different companies do it but you can get an online quote here: http://www.freightcenter.com/

Depending on what you are sending, it will probably be cheaper with AmTrak, but AmTrak has more limitations (size/weight) than freight shipping and freight shipping will do door to door (which I don't think AmTrak will do).

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:05 pm

bk187 wrote:

A bunch of different companies do it but you can get an online quote here: http://www.freightcenter.com/

Depending on what you are sending, it will probably be cheaper with AmTrak, but AmTrak has more limitations (size/weight) than freight shipping and freight shipping will do door to door (which I don't think AmTrak will do).
I got a quote for freight shipping and it was around $325-$350 for 100lbs. Do you think that is reasonable?

T-Account

New

Post by T-Account » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Don't rent a uhaul...whew...just looked online, pricier than I would've expected...I'm guessing this is more than you need.

I just heard of some site that might be of interest to you. It's some site where people looking to ship their cars can drop their car off at this company's nearest facility. Then other people can sign up to drive the car from point A to point B. I do not know many of the details, obviously...I don't even know the company's name. However, if someone just happens to have a car in LA and wants it to be in Philly but cannot drive it themselves, that might be perfect for you. That way you could "ship" your stuff yourself (I think you might get paid to do it too).

Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Just stopping in to say welcome to my city :D

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:03 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:
bk187 wrote:

I got a quote for freight shipping and it was around $325-$350 for 100lbs. Do you think that is reasonable?
Amtrak is way cheaper

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:12 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:
bk187 wrote:

Amtrak is way cheaper
Thanks! I was just checking out the website and I will be calling tomorrow to get a quote. I'm pretty sure this is what I will be doing.

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:13 pm

beach_terror wrote:Just stopping in to say welcome to my city :D
YOUR city.....

... Thanks! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:46 pm

car rental + gas from LA to DC about $500. not saying its cheapest, just letting u know

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:14 pm

dood wrote:car rental + gas from LA to DC about $500. not saying its cheapest, just letting u know
it would cost $500 in gas alone. And it's expensive to pickup a car in one city and drop it off in another. I don't know how old OP is, but if under 25, the insurance requirement comes into play as well. Orbitz car rental is one way to get an idea of costs for a 4 or 5 day rental and AAA gives gas estimations (and what about staying in hotels?).

Now if you also take into account your flight and do some math, it may work out similarly, but I still think renting a car + gas would be more expensive.

T-Account

New

Post by T-Account » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:59 am

http://www.autodriveaway.com/default.aspx

There's the link to the company I was talking about. There's a link above for drivers - you can see what cars need to be driven/how the whole thing works. I've never actually done it myself but, in theory, it would be cheapest for you if everything were to fall into place.

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:24 am

T-Account wrote:http://www.autodriveaway.com/default.aspx

There's the link to the company I was talking about. There's a link above for drivers - you can see what cars need to be driven/how the whole thing works. I've never actually done it myself but, in theory, it would be cheapest for you if everything were to fall into place.
Cool! Thanks, I'll look into that!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:32 am

I am going to start a cross country move thread to get some more information on this....

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:51 am

T-Account wrote:http://www.autodriveaway.com/default.aspx

oh this is interesting!

by the way, there is also this thread
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=120263

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:00 pm

OP: Greyhound also has freight options, as does Southwest Airlines.

For those who have a furnished 1BR and are keeping their furniture, I highly recommend ABF transport. They have a small cube that I've used twice to move cross country-once DC to SF, once SF to DC. Both times it cost around $1400. People don't know this, but you really should negotiate with these companies-they will significantly reduce their prices if you try.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:43 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:I got a quote for freight shipping and it was around $325-$350 for 100lbs. Do you think that is reasonable?
Amtrak is way cheaper
Yeah I don't think freight is worth it for 100 lbs. I mean depending on how you box it, 100 lbs is going to run you about $100 via UPS or FedEx.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:18 pm

bk187 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:I got a quote for freight shipping and it was around $325-$350 for 100lbs. Do you think that is reasonable?
Amtrak is way cheaper
Yeah I don't think freight is worth it for 100 lbs. I mean depending on how you box it, 100 lbs is going to run you about $100 via UPS or FedEx.
I'm not totally sure how much my stuff weighs I just guessed it would be about 100lbs since it's just clothes, shoes, and pillows... stuff like that.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:26 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:I'm not totally sure how much my stuff weighs I just guessed it would be about 100lbs since it's just clothes, shoes, and pillows... stuff like that.
Depending on how much it is I would just box it and ship it via UPS/FedEx/USPS. Probably not the pillows though. Or, if it isn't too much, you could also just pack it in bags and pay the extra fee to take it with you on the airplane.

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:15 pm

bk187 wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:I'm not totally sure how much my stuff weighs I just guessed it would be about 100lbs since it's just clothes, shoes, and pillows... stuff like that.
Depending on how much it is I would just box it and ship it via UPS/FedEx/USPS. Probably not the pillows though. Or, if it isn't too much, you could also just pack it in bags and pay the extra fee to take it with you on the airplane.
Cool! Yeah, i thought about doing the plane thing too... we'll see whatever works best and is the ost cost effieicent :)

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:16 pm

I would really recommend you bring a car to Philly. Having lived there, I think not having a car is a terrible idea.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”