signing up for a Bar exam course before 1L?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
justhockey31

signing up for a Bar exam course before 1L?

Postby justhockey31 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:54 am

So I just received an email from Kaplan trying to get me to sign up for their bar exam course by August 1st by saying they will throw in some 1L prep material as well as a discount on the course when I eventually make it to 3L....good deal or is this stuff really common and not something I should worry about until my 2nd or 3rd yr?

ran12

Re: signing up for a Bar exam course before 1L?

Postby ran12 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:09 pm

justhockey31 wrote:So I just received an email from Kaplan trying to get me to sign up for their bar exam course by August 1st by saying they will throw in some 1L prep material as well as a discount on the course when I eventually make it to 3L....good deal or is this stuff really common and not something I should worry about until my 2nd or 3rd yr?

Pretty common for companies to do this. I wouldn't do it b/c there are a lot of bar exam prep companies out there and 1L prep discount isn't really gonna help you.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:19 pm

justhockey31 wrote:So I just received an email from Kaplan trying to get me to sign up for their bar exam course by August 1st by saying they will throw in some 1L prep material as well as a discount on the course when I eventually make it to 3L....good deal or is this stuff really common and not something I should worry about until my 2nd or 3rd yr?
They'll be doing that deal throughout your 1L year, as will Barbri, Themis, and the rest. No need to worry about it now.

When the time comes, though, I'd sign up for Barbri. More experience, higher pass rates, and their 1L lectures (particularly Civ Pro) are highly recommended.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks for the input!

Paul Muad'dib

Postby Paul Muad'dib » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:36 pm

From what I can tell, the Kaplan thing is actually like a law school preview thing, so it might be worth it.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:55 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
They'll be doing that deal throughout your 1L year, as will Barbri, Themis, and the rest. No need to worry about it now.

When the time comes
, though, I'd sign up for Barbri. More experience, higher pass rates, and their 1L lectures (particularly Civ Pro) are highly recommended.

When is the proper time to sign up for one? End of 1L? 2L?

Paul Muad'dib wrote:From what I can tell, the Kaplan thing is actually like a law school preview thing, so it might be worth it.

Yeah the 1L prep material is what made me think about doing this but there are a lot of other ways to prep for 1L without signing up for bar exam course...

Paul Muad'dib

Postby Paul Muad'dib » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:56 pm

You aren't actually signing up for bar review...you're merely "locking in" a price. You can put down deposits with all the companies just to keep your price a few hundred bucks lower, but the study aids are what you are really buying.

KaplanPMBR

Postby KaplanPMBR » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:26 pm

Hello everyone, and thank you for the comments. I just want to clarify that our email offer is for our 1L Edge Program, a two day course that serves as an overview of what to expect and how to successfully navigate through your first year of law school. Attendees receive outlines, practice questions and audio lectures on first year subjects. Enrolling will also freeze your tuition on our bar review, which Paul correctly points out simply guarantees you the lowest price on our course should you select us for your bar review during your third year of law school.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or comments at (800) 523-0777.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:31 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:

When the time comes, though, I'd sign up for Barbri. More experience, higher pass rates, and their 1L lectures (particularly Civ Pro) are highly recommended.

The BarBri lecture for Civ Pro is gold. Sign up when you get to campus this fall and help an upper-level student get a free bar review course.

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:10 pm

TTH wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

The BarBri lecture for Civ Pro is gold. Sign up when you get to campus this fall and help an upper-level student get a free bar review course.

+1
BarBri Civ Pro FTW

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:36 pm

I was all excited to get the big green BarBri 1L outlines book shortly before first semester exams. And then I discovered it wasn't helpful and never looked at the thing again. Maybe if you have a crap professor then a one-size-fits-all outline will be useful, but it's usually way more helpful to make your own outline. My overall point: you shouldn't sign up for any bar review course based on some promised 1L (or 0L) prep material.

Return to “Law School FAQ”