How to find out LSAC GPA?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby dasani13 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:16 pm

I hope I'm posting this in the right section..

I have a 3.71 but I retook 2 classes because my school has a forgiveness policy that can be used twice (I just did it to graduate magna cum laude, I knew LSAC would ignore the retakes).

Now I did the math and my GPA is 3.62 but I wanted to find out if there's a way I could get a more reliable number before my application cycle begins? Does anyone know if I could contact LSAC and ask them to give me an accurate number? I searched their site and found nothing..

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Umm posted in wrong section, sorry!

JD2014
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby JD2014 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:50 pm


User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby dasani13 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:01 am

Thank you!

User avatar
Burke21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby Burke21 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:58 am

I am skeptical of how the LSAC gathers their GPA. First, they have a large gap between 4.3 - 4.0 and 3.67 that is A+, A and A-. For example, my University grades on a 4.33 scale as well. I am roughly in the 84% area, perhaps higher since I still have ten courses left to take. Nevertheless, that puts me in the 3.7 range. However, LSAC, at least in the predictor scale, has that at a 3.00 ranking. An 84% = 3.00? Really? That is a large difference from my 3.7 graduate GPA.

seanPtheB
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby seanPtheB » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:29 am

Can someone explain lsac's rational for counting A+'s as what, 4.33? If this has been heavily discussed I'd appreciate a link, but doesn't this pretty much completely contradict a level playing field? This is a completely objective thing because I have a pretty good gpa...see profile... but still it just seems dumb to me.

User avatar
krasivaya
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby krasivaya » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 am

Burke21 wrote:I am skeptical of how the LSAC gathers their GPA. First, they have a large gap between 4.3 - 4.0 and 3.67 that is A+, A and A-. For example, my University grades on a 4.33 scale as well. I am roughly in the 84% area, perhaps higher since I still have ten courses left to take. Nevertheless, that puts me in the 3.7 range. However, LSAC, at least in the predictor scale, has that at a 3.00 ranking. An 84% = 3.00? Really? That is a large difference from my 3.7 graduate GPA.


An 84% is a B which is a 3.0, so yeah.

Also, your graduate gpa doesn't matter.

User avatar
Burke21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby Burke21 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:11 pm

krasivaya wrote:
Burke21 wrote:I am skeptical of how the LSAC gathers their GPA. First, they have a large gap between 4.3 - 4.0 and 3.67 that is A+, A and A-. For example, my University grades on a 4.33 scale as well. I am roughly in the 84% area, perhaps higher since I still have ten courses left to take. Nevertheless, that puts me in the 3.7 range. However, LSAC, at least in the predictor scale, has that at a 3.00 ranking. An 84% = 3.00? Really? That is a large difference from my 3.7 graduate GPA.


An 84% is a B which is a 3.0, so yeah.

Also, your graduate gpa doesn't matter.


You totally missed my point. Also, I understand graduate GPA does not matter. I meant to write undergraduate.

User avatar
krasivaya
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby krasivaya » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:41 pm

Your point was poorly communicated and, quite frankly, pointless.

LSAC follows the standard for plus/minus grading, I don't see what you're skeptical about. Unless your university is super lenient (which it may be considering it awards A+'s) an 84 being a B being a 3.0 is fair and makes sense. If you're trying to argue that an 84% should be a 3.7, that's just ridiculous.

User avatar
fatdouche
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby fatdouche » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:26 pm

seanPtheB wrote:Can someone explain lsac's rational for counting A+'s as what, 4.33? If this has been heavily discussed I'd appreciate a link, but doesn't this pretty much completely contradict a level playing field? This is a completely objective thing because I have a pretty good gpa...see profile... but still it just seems dumb to me.

Use the search function.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:35 pm

fatdouche wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:Can someone explain lsac's rational for counting A+'s as what, 4.33? If this has been heavily discussed I'd appreciate a link, but doesn't this pretty much completely contradict a level playing field? This is a completely objective thing because I have a pretty good gpa...see profile... but still it just seems dumb to me.

Use the search function.

well you're clearly not a rad law alt

phx
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby phx » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:48 pm



This. It's definitely a good idea to know what your LSAC GPA is going to be before it gets calculated, or at least double-check the calculation yourself. When they calculated my GPA it was 0.05 less than I had previously calculated so I called to "challenge" the calculation. Turns out someone had made a mistake entering in the grades from my transcript and two days later my GPA was changed to be where I thought it should be.

User avatar
Burke21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby Burke21 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:36 pm

krasivaya wrote:Your point was poorly communicated and, quite frankly, pointless.

LSAC follows the standard for plus/minus grading, I don't see what you're skeptical about. Unless your university is super lenient (which it may be considering it awards A+'s) an 84 being a B being a 3.0 is fair and makes sense. If you're trying to argue that an 84% should be a 3.7, that's just ridiculous.


I just reviewed my school's marking scheme which is in Canada mind you.

A+ - 4.3 - 91-100%
A - 4.0 - 85-90%
A- - 3.7 - 80-84% and so on.

You're right a B is a 3.0, however, speaking in % it is 74-76.

So, that is why I am skeptical because it seems this system is too harsh, compared to my University. Moreover, University of Toronto (one of the top law schools) follows the same GPA system as my school does. Median GPA for them is 3.8 (85%), which is the same system I have. So maybe it is a difference between the U.S. and Canada, but I just think it is absurd to think if I was to apply to a U.S. school I would have a lower GPA - 3.7 to a 3.0 roughly. Also, you're not very nice, lol. Grow up?

User avatar
krasivaya
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby krasivaya » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:00 pm

The LSAC weighs international GPAs differently to make up for the discrepancy, look into that. I'm not sure if it applies to Canada though. If it doesn't and you get a 3.0, that's what you deserved by our standards so there's no point in whining about it.

And no, 80-89% is a B. If you want to go to an American school you should probably get used to American grading standards. Our schools are just tougher than yours, a 3.8 median is ridiculous.

Toughen up. If some bitch on a forum can get under your skin I don't see you surviving long here.

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby dasani13 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:50 pm

Yay my topic got exciting!! lol

User avatar
Burke21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby Burke21 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:49 am

krasivaya wrote:The LSAC weighs international GPAs differently to make up for the discrepancy, look into that. I'm not sure if it applies to Canada though. If it doesn't and you get a 3.0, that's what you deserved by our standards so there's no point in whining about it.

And no, 80-89% is a B. If you want to go to an American school you should probably get used to American grading standards. Our schools are just tougher than yours, a 3.8 median is ridiculous.

Toughen up. If some bitch on a forum can get under your skin I don't see you surviving long here.


You're a fairly dense person. I was unaware that LSAC weighs international GPAs differently. Thank you for this piece of information. Perhaps that will keep my GPA relatively the same. I hope you understand of my skepticism because of the GPA differences. Although does it really sound like I am whining? I merely said I was skeptical and thought it was rather unfair to move my GPA from such a drastic difference -- I would say that's a fair claim and feeling to have. You're just how should I say...an a$$. There is no reason for you to be so abusive. You're not under my skin at all. I just find you disrespectful and non-helpful and I'm calling you on it. My question was fair and with good reason -- if LSAC does indeed mark on this "tougher" system than so be it, there is nothing I can do, but I can still criticize it for the drastic change in GPA level. But, I think your first comment was helpful and I am sure they do change it per international student to keep it close to the same average you have now. Thanks for your little help and I hope you change your attitude because I can't see too many people putting up with your disrepect.

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby Magnolia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:43 am

Burke21 wrote:You're a fairly dense person. I was unaware that LSAC weighs international GPAs differently. Thank you for this piece of information. Perhaps that will keep my GPA relatively the same. I hope you understand of my skepticism because of the GPA differences. Although does it really sound like I am whining? I merely said I was skeptical and thought it was rather unfair to move my GPA from such a drastic difference -- I would say that's a fair claim and feeling to have. You're just how should I say...an a$$. There is no reason for you to be so abusive. You're not under my skin at all. I just find you disrespectful and non-helpful and I'm calling you on it. My question was fair and with good reason -- if LSAC does indeed mark on this "tougher" system than so be it, there is nothing I can do, but I can still criticize it for the drastic change in GPA level. But, I think your first comment was helpful and I am sure they do change it per international student to keep it close to the same average you have now. Thanks for your little help and I hope you change your attitude because I can't see too many people putting up with your disrepect.

If you had explained that you were an international student in your initial post, you would've gotten different (and helpful) answers. Without that qualification, your post very much sounded like you were bitching because LSAC didn't uphold your school's wildly inflated grades when calculating your GPA. We see 13509283459032840 threads just like that every week, which is why you got snark. Very mild snark, I might add.

International students don't have GPAs at all. LSAC evaluates their transcripts and issues an overall rating, such as "superior", "above average", etc. I would verify with LSAC that there isn't some loophole for Canadian students, but to my knowledge they won't be recalculating your GPA.

User avatar
Burke21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby Burke21 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:31 pm

You're right. My initial post lacked clairty, however, his "snarky" remark was still unnecessary, even if it was mild. Nevertheless, I thank you for your answer. Again, I was unaware international students did not receive GPA's rather a more generic title/ rank. You've easily solved my skepticism, and imagine you did it without "snarky" comments. Thank you.

P.S. I realize my school's marking system is inflated, but the majority of Universities in Canada are. As I stated earlier, U of T, one of the top law schools ranks their GPA on the same level as my school. So I just wondered what the difference would be when applying to U of T, and say NYU, would NYU look at my GPA as lower because of their system, compared to U of T, who's system is the same as my Undergrade. That was all.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:36 pm

I went to a UC for undergrad and my LSAC GPA was exactly the same as my undergrad GPA. Seems fine to me.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13913
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:45 pm

Burke21 wrote:
krasivaya wrote:Your point was poorly communicated and, quite frankly, pointless.

LSAC follows the standard for plus/minus grading, I don't see what you're skeptical about. Unless your university is super lenient (which it may be considering it awards A+'s) an 84 being a B being a 3.0 is fair and makes sense. If you're trying to argue that an 84% should be a 3.7, that's just ridiculous.


I just reviewed my school's marking scheme which is in Canada mind you.

A+ - 4.3 - 91-100%
A - 4.0 - 85-90%
A- - 3.7 - 80-84% and so on.

You're right a B is a 3.0, however, speaking in % it is 74-76.

So, that is why I am skeptical because it seems this system is too harsh, compared to my University. Moreover, University of Toronto (one of the top law schools) follows the same GPA system as my school does. Median GPA for them is 3.8 (85%), which is the same system I have. So maybe it is a difference between the U.S. and Canada, but I just think it is absurd to think if I was to apply to a U.S. school I would have a lower GPA - 3.7 to a 3.0 roughly. Also, you're not very nice, lol. Grow up?


An 80% is an A-? What. the fuck. That's a straight B- here, dood. I love just about everything about Canada but that is some bullshit. I had classes where a 94% was an A-, and there were no A+ grades at my UG.

If we both got an 80% average all through UG, what makes you think you deserve a 3.7 while I deserve a 2.7?

User avatar
Burke21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby Burke21 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Well first I never said anything about who deserves what. I am merely saying I will graduate next spring with roughly a 83-85% depending on how well I do in my final 10 classes. Which, translat into a 3.7 GPA.
http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/edu ... sion-chart
You can see in this link all the GPA systems Canada uses. I am under 3, along with many other schools in Canada. Nevertheless, I have been told by other Canadians who applied to U.S. law schools that LSAC will actually look at your transcript and match the letter with their letter. Thus, I will basically stay the same 3.6-3.8 depending on how well I do, again. So, I guess Canada gets a break from LSAC? My A- (low 80) will count as an A- on LSAC which would be what (low 90s) for Americans. Anyways, my question has been answered and my GPA will be roughly the same regardless (3.7ish). Now that I think about it I thought I was getting the short end of the stick, but it looks like you guys are..sorry about that...

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Burke21 wrote:Well first I never said anything about who deserves what. I am merely saying I will graduate next spring with roughly a 83-85% depending on how well I do in my final 10 classes. Which, translat into a 3.7 GPA.
http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/edu ... sion-chart
You can see in this link all the GPA systems Canada uses. I am under 3, along with many other schools in Canada. Nevertheless, I have been told by other Canadians who applied to U.S. law schools that LSAC will actually look at your transcript and match the letter with their letter. Thus, I will basically stay the same 3.6-3.8 depending on how well I do, again. So, I guess Canada gets a break from LSAC? My A- (low 80) will count as an A- on LSAC which would be what (low 90s) for Americans. Anyways, my question has been answered and my GPA will be roughly the same regardless (3.7ish). Now that I think about it I thought I was getting the short end of the stick, but it looks like you guys are..sorry about that...


Sounds like bullshit to me.

User avatar
Burke21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby Burke21 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 pm

It does seem flawed. But I guess that is only one component of the whole application. The LSAT, resume, personal letter and refernce letters are all the same so it's just the GPA difference that is rather odd. Confusing too! I mean my GPA is going to be higher when I apply to schools like U of T and UBC (in Canada) because they only count your top 3/4 years. Whereas, I believe, all American schools at least T14 count all 4 years.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Burke21 wrote:It does seem flawed. But I guess that is only one component of the whole application. The LSAT, resume, personal letter and refernce letters are all the same so it's just the GPA difference that is rather odd. Confusing too! I mean my GPA is going to be higher when I apply to schools like U of T and UBC (in Canada) because they only count your top 3/4 years. Whereas, I believe, all American schools at least T14 count all 4 years.


That IS really bizarre. All U.S. law schools (that I am aware of) count every year you attended undergrad towards your GPA. I really wish I could have been evaluated based on the Canadian standards. My 3.6ish GPA would have easily been a 3.8 :x

User avatar
Burke21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby Burke21 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Yes, I figured they counted all four years! Honestly I have no reasoning to why they are so different. More importantly, my GPA is going to be higher when I apply to Toronto (the best law school in Canada), and if I was to get my JD from that school, I am able to take the bar in New York, or California. So you can still work in both countries, yet their requirments seem far more harsh in the U.S., compared to Canada. Perhaps it is a competative thing? I do not know - but even if that is true, any Canadian who applies to these top schools have an advantage (I'm not complaining, but) GPA is higher, and they have the "international" advantage as we all know these law schools love diversity. Anyways, I learned a lot today.

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: How to find out LSAC GPA?

Postby Magnolia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:11 pm

I wish I were Canadian.

I can't believe I just said that.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests