What else would you have done if not for law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
geoduck

Re: What else would you have done if not for law school?

Postby geoduck » Tue May 31, 2011 3:43 pm

RickyRoe wrote:I sent in my application to The Real World, so I'm hoping to hear back from that. I'm putting a lot of my eggs into that basket, the MTV basket. And if that doesn't work out I'm thinking about getting a gun, and dealin' crack. Being a crack dealer. Not, like, a mean crack dealer, but like... like a nice one. Kinda friendly, like, "Hey, what's up guys? You want some crack?". I'm just kinda waiting on those two things to flesh themselves out.

Seriously though, probably culinary school. Still might go that route, who knows.

If you haven't worked in a kitchen, I'd check out the Something Awful "Goons with Spoons" thread about the industry before plopping down cash on a culinary degree. Unless you're a burgeoning alcoholic. Then by all means, play on.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:44 pm

Continued slow suicide-by-boredom in my current job.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue May 31, 2011 3:50 pm

I'd have done 7 years in a cinema & modern media PhD. I don't know what I'd have done after that though.

Postby 071816 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:50 pm

I would have been a thieving, homeless drug addict.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue May 31, 2011 3:51 pm

Always wished I had pursued law school/a legal career.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue May 31, 2011 3:54 pm

geoduck wrote:
RickyRoe wrote:I sent in my application to The Real World, so I'm hoping to hear back from that. I'm putting a lot of my eggs into that basket, the MTV basket. And if that doesn't work out I'm thinking about getting a gun, and dealin' crack. Being a crack dealer. Not, like, a mean crack dealer, but like... like a nice one. Kinda friendly, like, "Hey, what's up guys? You want some crack?". I'm just kinda waiting on those two things to flesh themselves out.

Seriously though, probably culinary school. Still might go that route, who knows.

If you haven't worked in a kitchen, I'd check out the Something Awful "Goons with Spoons" thread about the industry before plopping down cash on a culinary degree. Unless you're a burgeoning alcoholic. Then by all means, play on.

TBF, law is also a good field for a burgeoning alcoholic.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Tue May 31, 2011 4:01 pm

Probably would've gotten into teaching, although in the short-run I would've worked in my Senator's office as a staffer.

Sometimes I wish I had done TFA or NYC TF instead of LS, but there's always time for passions after I've paid down my loans.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue May 31, 2011 4:02 pm

paratactical wrote:
geoduck wrote:

TBF, law is also a good field for a burgeoning alcoholic.

True, but you can't sit in court with sipping on a bottle of Monarch the whole time. Either career is pretty good for those of the dying liver though.

Omega10

Postby Omega10 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:04 pm

Writing, of the non-legal variety (...while sticking it out in a "normal" job that is perfectly tolerable but not especially challenging, rewarding, etc.)

Can't help but wonder if dedicating my time and energy to law school/a legal career is more or less risky (and fulfilling) than dedicating my time and energy to a career in writing.

:?:

/whatkeepsmeupatnight

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue May 31, 2011 4:15 pm

To actually contribute to the thread, I probably would have sold most of my possessions in order to get a proper steadycam/camcorder rig and start whoring out my off time production services to anyone and everyone. Either that, or accept having to move to some crappy small town in order to move up another notch in the television hierarchy. Either way, my wife wouldn't have appreciated it nearly as much as the current path.

gokickrocks

Postby gokickrocks » Tue May 31, 2011 7:11 pm

I would've gone into accounting. I'm pretty good at it, but I know that I'd hate the job.

KJG

Postby KJG » Tue May 31, 2011 10:29 pm

If I decided against LS I would pursue my original course of action, history. I have an M.A. with some nationally known professors and I've produced several original works on subjects with little or no secondary work on them. If possible I would pursue these subjects in my spare time, because if not I think they will be forgotten as they have so far. I love the study of history, but job opportunities in the field are extremely limited. After five years of grueling labor I can look forward to making around 40K if I get lucky. History is one of the lowest paid teaching fields. Admission to a quality program is also very selective and political in nature. I felt like law offered me better opportunities.

OP, I noticed you also considered teaching. If you are considering a PhD program in history but haven't really looked into it, PM me. It was my goal for a number of years and I researched it extensively.

zonto

Postby zonto » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Probably used my degree in English in a technical writing job at a company like GE or another technology/software company in Utah for a few years. Studied for the GMAT eventually and then gone to business school to get an MBA in Finance and work for an investment company. Maybe CFA.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:43 pm

RickyRoe wrote:I sent in my application to The Real World, so I'm hoping to hear back from that. I'm putting a lot of my eggs into that basket, the MTV basket.

One of my friends was on this past season of Real World. You don't want it. lol

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:45 pm

law4vus wrote:
RickyRoe wrote:I sent in my application to The Real World, so I'm hoping to hear back from that. I'm putting a lot of my eggs into that basket, the MTV basket.

Is your friend the gay pron dood?

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:59 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
law4vus wrote:

Is your friend the gay pron dood?

No, thank god lol it was one of the girls

Return to “Law School FAQ”