Needing A Little Hope

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
VirginiaED

Needing A Little Hope

Postby VirginiaED » Sat May 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Long time lurker, just feeling a little down about LS lately.

I start (1L) at UVA in August, and I'll graduate with no debt from the school. I had a scholarship for undergrad, so no debt there either. I hope to do non profit work in DC upon graduation, or even something that pays better to fund my own social work on the side-- but after reading the majority of the posts on TLS, I just don't feel like there are any dream jobs out there.
Don't get me wrong- I'm incredibly grateful to be able to graduate debt free and pursue my goals- but is it even possible? I'm getting married next summer, to the love of my life, and I want to be able to promise her that I'll be home at nights. I want to have kids, and actually see them grow up.

Is this possible? Can I have a fulfilling law job that goes 50 hours a week, pays 110K after taxes, and doesn't suck the life out of my soul? I realize how emo that might sound, but I guess I'm really only going for a pick me up right now. Or maybe it isn't possible, and we're all just headed for a endless grind where we slowly die.

Thanks for the listen, at any rate. Helps just to write these things down, ya know?

HTH

NYC Law

Re: Needing A Little Hope

Postby NYC Law » Sat May 28, 2011 10:24 pm

You won't make six figures after taxes, but you'll probably be able to get a good DC job with decent hours.

You're going to UVA debt free, stop complaining.

VirginiaED

Postby VirginiaED » Sat May 28, 2011 10:32 pm

NYC Law wrote:You won't make six figures after taxes, but you'll probably be able to get a good DC job with decent hours.

You're going to UVA debt free, stop complaining.

Hahaha! Surprisingly, that helped immensely. Consider it done.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Sun May 29, 2011 1:51 am

I somehow can't find it within me to comfort someone who is graduating debt free from UVa. :P

But on a serious note, TLS can be pretty bleak sometimes. Lots of people posting are L0s anyway and don't know what they are talking about (including me). I'm sure you can get in touch with some alumni that would be happy to give you a real world perspective on their jobs, etc.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:53 am

I hate you.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun May 29, 2011 2:24 am

Your life literally could not be better.

TLS has a number of odd collective psychological issues that have to be taken into account, probably stemming from (a) the solitary and socially-underdeveloped nature of heavy internet-users, in general, and (b) the singularly prestige-centric theme of this site. See, e.g., any thread in which an OP has a significant other that's causing him to turn down Harvard for a lesser school; the rabid cries to ditch the SO because "Harvard is forever" or whatever would be concerning if they came from a person in real life, but here it's the norm.

You are getting married to the love of your life; you have what everyone really wants, whether they know it or not. You are also getting a degree that opens many, many doors, and doing so while accruing no debt. You are proceeding in a way that would satisfy both the most prestige-whorish, ambitious individual and the most careful, risk-averse individual, even though you yourself seem to be neither of those extremes (which in itself will ensure that you're happy).

Curry

Postby Curry » Sun May 29, 2011 3:58 am

flcath wrote:Your life literally could not be better.

TLS has a number of odd collective psychological issues that have to be taken into account, probably stemming from (a) the solitary and socially-underdeveloped nature of heavy internet-users, in general, and (b) the singularly prestige-centric theme of this site. See, e.g., any thread in which an OP has a significant other that's causing him to turn down Harvard for a lesser school; the rabid cries to ditch the SO because "Harvard is forever" or whatever would be concerning if they came from a person in real life, but here it's the norm.

You are getting married to the love of your life; you have what everyone really wants, whether they know it or not. You are also getting a degree that opens many, many doors, and doing so while accruing no debt. You are proceeding in a way that would satisfy both the most prestige-whorish, ambitious individual and the most careful, risk-averse individual, even though you yourself seem to be neither of those extremes (which in itself will ensure that you're happy).

You do realize that many if not most of the mega users on TLS are super social outside of TLS (myself obviously not withstanding) don't you?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun May 29, 2011 4:07 am

VirginiaED wrote:Long time lurker, just feeling a little down about LS lately.

I start (1L) at UVA in August, and I'll graduate with no debt from the school. I had a scholarship for undergrad, so no debt there either. I hope to do non profit work in DC upon graduation, or even something that pays better to fund my own social work on the side-- but after reading the majority of the posts on TLS, I just don't feel like there are any dream jobs out there.
Don't get me wrong- I'm incredibly grateful to be able to graduate debt free and pursue my goals- but is it even possible? I'm getting married next summer, to the love of my life, and I want to be able to promise her that I'll be home at nights. I want to have kids, and actually see them grow up.

Is this possible? Can I have a fulfilling law job that goes 50 hours a week, pays 110K after taxes, and doesn't suck the life out of my soul? I realize howemo stupid that might sound, but I guess I'm really only going for a pick me up right now. Or maybe it isn't possible, and we're all just headed for a endless grind where we slowly die.

Thanks for the listen, at any rate. Helps just to write these things down, ya know?

HTH

FTFY.

But seriously, congrats OP and I'll see you next fall!

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun May 29, 2011 4:09 am

You want to do non-profit work that earns 110k after taxes? Good luck finding that.

And seriously stop complaining. All the negativity about law school is not directed at people going to T14 that will graduate with no debt.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sun May 29, 2011 4:53 am

Curry wrote:

You do realize that many if not most of the mega users on TLS are super social outside of TLS (myself obviously not withstanding) don't you?

Whether that's true or not I think TLS people become super judgmental about tiers of schools. Maybe I'm only projecting but I've noticed this in myself. First thing I always want to know about people is where they're going to school now or where they went to school before getting their job. Before discovering TLS that question only used to cross my mind in passing. It's a mindset that is warped from normal and it's very narrow. A lot of people here obsess over differences in school options that 9/10 times won't matter.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun May 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Curry wrote:

Yeah I honestly am not criticizing individual posters (I wanted to clarify that, but I was veering long already). But the sort of groupthink thing that prevails around here can be kinda heartless, and would be very concerning if it came from a person IRL.

Like I said, the "ditch the SO" stuff you always see evinces the true lack of feeling this place can breed. Which is fine: it's a law school board.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun May 29, 2011 8:41 pm

OP, the kind of work you want to do pays more like 50-60k at first.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon May 30, 2011 4:50 pm

OP: Look into federal government positions, especially general counsel offices and the like at agency. Federal lawyers outside of US Attorney or legislative jobs often work 40 hours weeks, with pay that quickly jumps into low 6-figures and wonderful benefits. Relatively fulfilling, substantive work too.

Likewise, look into the presidential management fellowship program. Not strictly attorney jobs, but they'll hire out of law school and can plug you into some very "lifestyle" jobs with great perks and very livable pay.

VirginiaED

Postby VirginiaED » Tue May 31, 2011 3:14 am

Really blown away by the great posts guys- I know it'd probably lull us all into a lazy sense of complacency, but I definitely wouldn't complain if TLS started shifting its colours a bit more towards this positive side! :D

Corwin wrote: I'm sure you can get in touch with some alumni that would be happy to give you a real world perspective on their jobs, etc.

Great advice- I've begun emailing them as we speak!

dabbadon8 wrote:I hate you.

Noted.

You are getting married to the love of your life; you have what everyone really wants, whether they know it or not.

Ever considered life as a motivational speaker? But seriously, thanks. As childish as it sounds, it helps to have other people tell you the good things in your life, even if you're the one who listed them in your OP. Shaddup, you bullies- it just does.

yngblkgifted wrote:But seriously, congrats OP and I'll see you next fall!

Thanks!! Looking forward to it!!

Patriot1208 wrote:OP, the kind of work you want to do pays more like 50-60k at first.

That's what the general consensus seems to be- that would be after taxes I'm assuming? And surely have room for quick advancement? I'm not trying to get money for doing nothing-- really, I'm not. I guess I'm just hoping to fill that middle gap between the money grab and the poorhouse.

thesealocust wrote:OP: Look into federal government positions, especially general counsel offices and the like at agency. Federal lawyers outside of US Attorney or legislative jobs often work 40 hours weeks, with pay that quickly jumps into low 6-figures and wonderful benefits. Relatively fulfilling, substantive work too.

Likewise, look into the presidential management fellowship program. Not strictly attorney jobs, but they'll hire out of law school and can plug you into some very "lifestyle" jobs with great perks and very livable pay.

I left your quote in full because it's the one I'm most interested in. Thanks for the reply btw! Forgive my ignorance as well, but would those Federal government positions be only concentrated around DC, or do a majority of the states offer these types of jobs as well? From the description, it sounds like a dream come true-- also, the PMF program seems extremely valuable. Doing some more reading now.

Really, thanks again everyone. Really made my night.....

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue May 31, 2011 8:04 am

Fed gov jobs are definitely concentrated in DC, but there are IRS field offices scattered around the country, major SEC branches in NYC, commodities regulators in Chicago, FBI and DEA type offices everywhere, etc. You couldn't throw a rock without hitting an agency in DC, but it definitely doesn't have a monopoly on it. Jobs at lesser known agencies get less hype and so you'll have to dig more to find out how to get them. It's easy to find people talking about, for example, the DoJ Honors entry level hiring program. It's probably less easy to find people talking about the general counsels office of the post office :P

Return to “Law School FAQ”