Importance of joining student organization during 1L?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3881
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Importance of joining student organization during 1L?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat May 28, 2011 3:15 pm

How important is it to join a student organization (think ACLU Society or Criminal Law Society) during the first year? Is it good to join just to meet peers? I don't imagine that 1L's would be expected to be heavily involved, but did anyone find it to be a time suck?

Thanks

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: Importance of joining student organization during 1L?

Postby uzpakalis » Sat May 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Don't do it. Concentrate on your grades. You'll have plenty of time 2L and 3L to join organizations and things of that nature that don't matter.

hawks2010
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Importance of joining student organization during 1L?

Postby hawks2010 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:38 pm

uzpakalis wrote:Don't do it. Concentrate on your grades. You'll have plenty of time 2L and 3L to join organizations and things of that nature that don't matter.


this

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Importance of joining student organization during 1L?

Postby Cupidity » Sat May 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Go ahead and join one. For any organization but the public interest group (they demand so much) you will only need to go to 2 or 3 meeting a year, and participate in any networking events, it's fun, adds a line and some color to your resume. It makes for a great soft conversation topic for an interview.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Importance of joining student organization during 1L?

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:05 pm

hawks2010 wrote:
uzpakalis wrote:Don't do it. Concentrate on your grades. You'll have plenty of time 2L and 3L to join organizations and things of that nature that don't matter.


this


Don't listen to these jabronis. Just don't take on a ton of leadership positions, and you'll be fine. If you can't handle school and join a couple clubs you are a retard.

hawks2010
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Importance of joining student organization during 1L?

Postby hawks2010 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
hawks2010 wrote:
uzpakalis wrote:Don't do it. Concentrate on your grades. You'll have plenty of time 2L and 3L to join organizations and things of that nature that don't matter.


this


Don't listen to these jabronis. Just don't take on a ton of leadership positions, and you'll be fine. If you can't handle school and join a couple clubs you are a retard.



actually, this. as long as you can handle it, go ahead. but grades are more important. i know several people who got caught up in various clubs with different responsibilities and ended up bombing first semester. but fox is right, you should be fine joining a club or two, and attending a few meetings a semester (free lunchhh).

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Importance of joining student organization during 1L?

Postby Kilpatrick » Sun May 29, 2011 12:20 am

Most clubs involve going to see guest speakers and eating free pizza

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3881
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Importance of joining student organization during 1L?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun May 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Most clubs involve going to see guest speakers and eating free pizza


lol, so zero difference from undergrad clubs

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Importance of joining student organization during 1L?

Postby kurla88 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:38 pm

If you want to be on the board of anything your 2L year (not a huge deal but hey its a resume line and honestly its something to think about other than law classes which is good) you need to be at least a little involved during 1L.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest