Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
jrwhitedog
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:34 am

Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

Postby jrwhitedog » Thu May 26, 2011 8:44 am

Just read the headline on Yahoo today,
--LinkRemoved-- .
Seems some BigLaws are creating a second-tier lawyer program which pays less than half of the market price(160K annually) and instead of being associates those staff enrolled in the program are called career associates who will never make partners.
For someone like me who's planning to apply for law school, will this policy be more trendy among biglaws which means you should never apply for law school cause if u can only make 60-70k per year after wasting three years only to find u r in debt for over 150k, you must be absolutely nuts. Or it's still possible to make 160k for a new graduate? Thank you.

wojo96
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:51 am

Re: Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

Postby wojo96 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:58 am

There are numerous threads already addressing this article.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

Postby johnnyutah » Thu May 26, 2011 10:36 am

jrwhitedog wrote:you should never apply for law school cause if u can only make 60-70k per year after wasting three years only to find u r in debt for over 150k, you must be absolutely nuts. Or it's still possible to make 160k for a new graduate?

60-70k is a good salary.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu May 26, 2011 10:42 am

jrwhitedog wrote:For someone like me who's planning to apply for law school, will this policy be more trendy among biglaws which means you should never apply for law school cause if u can only make 60-70k per year after wasting three years only to find u r in debt for over 150k, you must be absolutely nuts. Or it's still possible to make 160k for a new graduate? Thank you.

1. Yes
2. 60-70k would probably put you well inside top quarter of kids graduating from law school

User avatar
jrwhitedog
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:34 am

Re: Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

Postby jrwhitedog » Thu May 26, 2011 10:46 am

Really? Then how long will u pay off your debt if u owe the government over 150k?

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

Postby johnnyutah » Thu May 26, 2011 10:47 am

jrwhitedog wrote:Really? Then how long will u pay off your debt if u owe the government over 150k?

A long time.
Last edited by johnnyutah on Thu May 26, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu May 26, 2011 10:48 am

jrwhitedog wrote:Really? Then how long will u pay off your debt if u owe the government over 150k?

A long, miserable time. Welcome to law school.

User avatar
jrwhitedog
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:34 am

Re: Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

Postby jrwhitedog » Thu May 26, 2011 10:52 am

johnnyutah wrote:
jrwhitedog wrote:Really? Then how long will u pay off your debt if u owe the government over 150k?

A long time.

Thanks for the editing. But I don't like Japanese animation.
Last edited by jrwhitedog on Thu May 26, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

Postby aliarrow » Thu May 26, 2011 11:01 am

jrwhitedog wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
jrwhitedog wrote:Really? Then how long will u pay off your debt if u owe the government over 150k?

A long time.

Thanks for the editing. But I don't Japanese animation.


What's going on in here?

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

Postby johnnyutah » Thu May 26, 2011 11:04 am

aliarrow wrote:
jrwhitedog wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
jrwhitedog wrote:Really? Then how long will u pay off your debt if u owe the government over 150k?

A long time.

Thanks for the editing. But I don't Japanese animation.


What's going on in here?

That is a very good question.

wojo96
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:51 am

Re: Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

Postby wojo96 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:48 am

johnnyutah wrote:60-70k is a good salary.


...prior to grad school.

aliarrow
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with "career associate"?

Postby aliarrow » Thu May 26, 2011 12:00 pm

wojo96 wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:60-70k is a good salary.


...prior to grad school.


ITE 30k is good prior to grad school.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest