How to prepare for Law School, studies aside

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
downing

Re: How to prepare for Law School, studies aside

Postby downing » Thu May 26, 2011 1:01 am

Here are some tips for being smart before law school:

1. If you don't know how to read, learn to do so before school starts. No one wants to juggle the ABCs and learning how to brief cases at the same time, amongst other relatively difficult tasks
2. Memory is important in law school - current law school student will happily confirm that memory plays a big role in knowing important 'stuff'. I suggest the following book for raising your overall level of retentiveness: http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Memory-Novel-Alison-Strobel/dp/0310289475/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306385261&sr=8-1
3. You're likely to run into your starry eyed 1L peers in your 2L and 3L years, though this might not be true for life after law school. All the same, try to maintain social well-being, as those tort BBQs and crazy barrister beer nights are sure to be the starting points for many a fruitful friendship. This being so, inquisition everyone you meet in the following manner:

(a) The socially fluent and pointed question: "A/S/L please?" is a guaranteed win - this is the first thing you need to say to everyone, including all your law professors. (if you don't have the chance to converse with your law professor before your first class begins, don't shy away from screaming out "A/S/L!" to his question, even if the question wasn't directed toward you. In law school, as in college, most people don't know much about the classes they're in, and appreciate the peer who summons up the courage to participate in a helpful fashion.)

(b) In your handy notebook of people-information, make sure to legibly and forcibly record every new bit of information you learn about anyone and everyone law-school related, and most importantly: perform this activity as you engage in discussion, not after, and definitely not before. By speaking to people without showing them just how much you care (by furiously penning their every word), you may be sending them strong signals of disinterest and, in some cases, animosity. You want to avoid this.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon May 30, 2011 6:28 pm

Daily calisthenics.

swittig

Postby swittig » Tue May 31, 2011 2:06 am

Corollary to the IRAC system

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue May 31, 2011 2:26 am

glitter178 wrote:
TheFactor wrote:I, for one, would be pretty freaked out if someone I had met one time wished me a happy anniversary or birthday.

i dunno. i'd be pretty impressed with the person's memory.

Facebook? FTW

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue May 31, 2011 10:32 am

northwood wrote:If you cant handle your alcohol then limit yourself to a mix drink then refill it with a soda. that way people still see you with a drink in hand, but you can remain in control of yourself for the entire night.

Return to “Law School FAQ”