How to prepare for Law School, studies aside

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
discerningturkey

How to prepare for Law School, studies aside

Postby discerningturkey » Wed May 25, 2011 5:45 pm

Okay,

So there are plenty of people telling you what you should be reading to prepare for all the academic stuff you'll encounter this fall. Of course, grades are probably the most important thing in law school.

BUT, don't think that grades are the only important things. The relationships you make in life are very important. How you're remembered cannot be changed in the future, but it can be changed from day one.

So, here are my five top recommendations for the socially inept:

1. Talk to current law students. Get an idea of how they think, what they're concerned about, and how they've been affected by law school. Your interaction with 2Ls and 3Ls may be minimal, but that's only more of a reason to make good first impressions. Plus, this will remind you of what your current classmates will be going through down the line.

2. Buy a joke book, and a book on how to start and sustain a conversation. You can find both on Amazon. This may seem pathetic, but there are plenty of socially-awkward people out there who will quickly learn that you have a lot to benefit from social interaction in law school and in the broader legal world (it's basically a necessity). In fact, bad social interaction in this line of work could cost you your a number of opportunities. Law school is going to help you prepare for not just the theory, but the practice.

3. Try to learn as much as you can about your classmates and professors. Write all of these tidbits down in a notebook if you have to. Remember their birthdays, anniversaries, etc. People love this.

4. Be forgiving of others, and don't be overly argumentative. This may be appropriate in court, and it's a necessary skill for any lawyer, but there's a time an a place. People don't like to feel put on the spot, or pressured. Put people at ease, and they'll respect you. They'll probably even be more ready to accept your side of the debate, too.

5. Learn to validate others. This is the golden rule. In any social scenario, if you can show people that they matter, and that you care, you earn their affection. This can be achieved by listening, asking questions, remembering things about them, all sorts of simple ways.

Other law students, please feel free to add.

TheFactor

Re: How to prepare for Law School, studies aside

Postby TheFactor » Wed May 25, 2011 7:03 pm

I, for one, would be pretty freaked out if someone I had met one time wished me a happy anniversary or birthday.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:05 pm

TheFactor wrote:I, for one, would be pretty freaked out if someone I had met one time wished me a happy anniversary or birthday.

i dunno. i'd be pretty impressed with the person's memory.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed May 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kimchi_smile

Postby Kimchi_smile » Wed May 25, 2011 8:12 pm

glitter178 wrote:
TheFactor wrote:I, for one, would be pretty freaked out if someone I had met one time wished me a happy anniversary or birthday.

I would think the person was a stalker and then would try to be cautious the next time as to not give that person any personal information.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Wed May 25, 2011 8:23 pm

OP not to rag on you, but that list makes it sound as though ur the socially inept one.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Wed May 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Kimchi_smile wrote:
glitter178 wrote:

I would think the person was a stalker and then would try to be cautious the next time as to not give that person any personal information.

+1

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Wed May 25, 2011 8:35 pm

risktaker wrote:OP not to rag on you, but that list makes it sound as though ur the socially inept one.

+1

Except with "you're" cause, you know, I'm a socially inept grammar nazi.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed May 25, 2011 8:46 pm

risktaker wrote:OP not to rag on you, but that list makes it sound as though ur the socially inept one.

This x1000. Reading that list made me cringe. Anyone who has to buy a book to learn how to be funny or hold a conversation should just give up now because all hope is lost.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Wed May 25, 2011 8:52 pm

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Wed May 25, 2011 8:57 pm

The IRAC method to making friends and influencing people:

Identify Target

Remember Joke from last night's reading

Apply Joke to Target

Cement friendship

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed May 25, 2011 8:59 pm

(aspie)

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed May 25, 2011 9:04 pm

1L robot will memorize jokes. 1L robot will remember birthdays and anniversaries. 1L robot will not be overly argumentative.

stylishlaw

Postby stylishlaw » Wed May 25, 2011 9:38 pm

WayBryson wrote:The IRAC method to making friends and influencing people:

Identify Target

Apply Joke to Target

Cement friendship

LOOOOOOOOL

discerningturkey

Postby discerningturkey » Wed May 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Wow, thanks a lot. Here I thought I was helping people who might be a bit shy.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Wed May 25, 2011 10:05 pm

discerningturkey wrote:

I'm pretty sure you are helping them, they just don't want to out themselves as social retards by posting here (and now they all finally learn to use the bookmark function).

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed May 25, 2011 10:10 pm

aliarrow wrote:
discerningturkey wrote:

I'm pretty sure you are helping them, they just don't want to out themselves as social retards by posting here (and now they all finally learn to use the bookmark function).

She mad.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 25, 2011 10:21 pm

I would add- know your limits and stick to them. If you cant drink heavily and heartily then dont use school or law related functions as a way to practice. Keep that to times when you decide to party in your apt, or go to a bar, but not a bar event.

If you cant handle your alcohol then limit yourself to a mix drink then refill it with a soda. that way people still see you with a drink in hand, but you can remain in control of yourself for the entire night.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed May 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Identify Target

Apply Joke to Target

Cement friendship

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Wed May 25, 2011 11:09 pm

aliarrow wrote:
discerningturkey wrote:

If you think reciting jokes from a joke book helps anyone I'm going to go ahead and say that you may be socially inept.

People don't understand that not everyone has to be funny. When non-funny people force it, it is soo awkward. It's seriously better to just play to your natural strengths.

Oh and northwood makes a legit point.

downing

Postby downing » Thu May 26, 2011 12:05 am

Kilpatrick wrote:I don't know how many socially inept people actually realize that they are socially inept and will use this thread, but I guess I will contribute:

1. Do not announce on the first day that you think you are smarter than everyone else. Related - do not actually go on to tell individual people to their face that you think you are smarter than them.

2. Do not fake laugh ridiculously loudly at everything the professor says

3. If you have one or two obscure hobbies that you are obsessed with (and you probably do, that usually goes along with being socially inept) do not constantly force other people to hear about them

(based on real life socially inept classmate)

The qualities you listed are at best, unattractive. Your classmate sounds infuriating.

And it looks like several people already picked up on the error of the joke-book. No book is going to magically lend you a sense of humor.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu May 26, 2011 12:28 am

I was gonna post something helpful, then I was gonna post something snarky, and now I'm not sure what to post. But a lot of what is being discussed in this thread is basic guidelines to human interaction; if you aren't aware of these pointers by now, then I have a hard time believing you'll be able to master them over the summer. And really, it comes down to a few basic tenets: mainly, be yourself, don't take yourself too seriously, don't be overly negative/critical, and be able to bullshit with current events/sports/weather/whatever. People love to talk about themselves; if you want to make a new law-friend (or if you can't otherwise hold a conversation), get them talking about their interests/goals/crazy uncle. Ask questions. And if you have a sense of humor, that's a plus. Also, smile.

It seems to me that joke books would almost always be a terrible idea, especially if you attempt to force a canned joke into a conversation.

If you remember my birthday after talking to me once, I'm going to file a restraining order.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu May 26, 2011 12:29 am

Identify Target

Apply Joke to Target

Cement friendship

First beer's on me this yr for that joke.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu May 26, 2011 12:32 am

2. Buy a joke book, and a book on how to start and sustain a conversation. You can find both on Amazon. This may seem pathetic, but there are plenty of socially-awkward people out there who will quickly learn that you have a lot to benefit from social interaction in law school and in the broader legal world (it's basically a necessity). In fact, bad social interaction in this line of work could cost you your a number of opportunities. Law school is going to help you prepare for not just the theory, but the practice.

3. Try to learn as much as you can about your classmates and professors. Write all of these tidbits down in a notebook if you have to. Remember their birthdays, anniversaries, etc. People love this.

Not sure if serious.

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Thu May 26, 2011 12:37 am

Tanicius wrote:

Not sure if serious.

DUDE

Imagine finding that notebook.

Creeeeeeped.

Return to “Law School FAQ”