AmeriCorps

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Blahh_Blahh

AmeriCorps

Postby Blahh_Blahh » Wed May 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Has anybody here done this?

I am not having much luck finding employment for my year off between undergrad and law school, so I am considering applying for an AmeriCorps position. I already got a call from a homeless shelter near where I live telling me about open positions and asking me to come in tomorrow to learn more about it, so I said yes.

If I get the position, it'll start August 1... But the one thing I am really worried about is that it will cut into my time for studying for the October LSAT.... As it is, after all, a full-time job. Is it possible to work for AmeriCorps and still have plenty of time to study for the LSAT? I am really aiming for a good score, so LSAT studying needs to take precedence right now. I am also going to be taking a PowerScore class during July and August.

If you have done AmeriCorps, did you like it? I know the pay is crap, but this position is near where I live. And I am living at home this year. So I am not really that worried about expenses, since I don't have to pay rent at home.

cinephile

Re: AmeriCorps

Postby cinephile » Wed May 25, 2011 4:17 pm

If you enjoy volunteering at homeless shelters, this sounds like a great idea. I haven't done AmeriCorps, but my friends who have found it incredibly rewarding. However, if you're just looking for work, you could probably find better paid work.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed May 25, 2011 10:23 pm

lots and lots of people study for the lsat with full-time jobs and/or as full-time students. you do have to sacrifice social life, but when you get the 170+ you see that it was worth it.

I've done americorps both under TFA and another setting - both were great and rewarding. Totally worth it:) Of course, the money is crap.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Wed May 25, 2011 10:38 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the AmeriCorps definition of full time around 32-35 hours per week? I looked into doing it during my LSAT prep, so I had the exact same concern as the OP.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu May 26, 2011 12:01 am

Blahh_Blahh wrote:Has anybody here done this?

I am not having much luck finding employment for my year off between undergrad and law school, so I am considering applying for an AmeriCorps position. I already got a call from a homeless shelter near where I live telling me about open positions and asking me to come in tomorrow to learn more about it, so I said yes.

If I get the position, it'll start August 1... But the one thing I am really worried about is that it will cut into my time for studying for the October LSAT.... As it is, after all, a full-time job. Is it possible to work for AmeriCorps and still have plenty of time to study for the LSAT? I am really aiming for a good score, so LSAT studying needs to take precedence right now. I am also going to be taking a PowerScore class during July and August.

If you have done AmeriCorps, did you like it? I know the pay is crap, but this position is near where I live. And I am living at home this year. So I am not really that worried about expenses, since I don't have to pay rent at home.

I'm an Americorps Vista currently finishing up a term of service. Although that's the case I might not be the best source to answer your question as my position is much less "direct service" and more "capacity building"...aka a desk job. I've been able to squeeze in some studying at my desk and I feel I have a position that's a bit easier, time-wise. From those I know who do more direct work, it could be tough. If you're taking in October though, you have a decent amount of time to really push your score and understanding up so that you don't have to backload your improvement. That's in an ideal world, but is at least something to shoot for.

Many positions are a basic 9-5 job (as mine is) so it's not like you can't come home and and study after you're done for the day (as I've done). However, others are a bit less predictable and/or you work more odd hours. I'd just gather as much info on what you'll be doing day-to-day, what the hours would be like, and compare the time you see available with what you're hoping to be doing in your study plan by August.

Hope that helps. If you have any other specific questions that I can help with feel free to ask. I've found my experience to be very rewarding, FWIW and am considering a second term as I apply to schools this fall.

Return to “Law School FAQ”