Undergrad social live vs law school social life

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
downing

Undergrad social live vs law school social life

Postby downing » Wed May 25, 2011 1:24 pm

I read a lot on TLS about what social life is like for current law school students, and what 0Ls (including myself) fear it's going to be like - an 8-9 career of ceaseless classes and studying, where people fulfill the role of study-group members or distractions and competition(granted, that's a little hyperbolic). How would you compare it to your social life while as an undergraduate? I've gotten the impression that many law school students had to make a big change, but were any students less socially challenged, or did anyone, already comfortable with a rigorous academic routine, find much similarity between their law school and undergraduate experiences?

I couldn't know what to expect, but I'm curious about how it'll differ from what I've already experienced:
I went to community college for 2 years before transferring to a 4 year college. During that time I mainly hung out with people I already knew outside of class, and only made 2 friends from my sprawling campus - neither of whom I speak to much anymore, though I occasionally spy their status updates. However, I was out quite often and didn't focus with any intensity in any of my classes.
While pursuing my BA I cut down on the socializing, and still mainly hung out with a handful of people I knew outside my school. Perhaps I missed out on the bonding that I'm assuming takes place during the 1st two years in a 4 year university. I did make a few friends, but only ever hung out outside of school with two of them, and they were both named Chris. Since I enjoyed what I was studying and I lived off campus, I felt no compelling reason to acquire a vast social network, so I didn't. I'll probably try a little harder while in law school, as the connections I could make hold more potential.
(I've been out of school for a few years, but I'm just interested in the difference between the social life in law school and undergrad for different people)

El_Gallo

Re: Undergrad social live vs law school social life

Postby El_Gallo » Wed May 25, 2011 1:33 pm

downing wrote: I did make a few friends, but only ever hung out outside of school with two of them, and they were both named Chris.

This made me LOL

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:34 pm

El_Gallo wrote:
downing wrote: I did make a few friends, but only ever hung out outside of school with two of them, and they were both named Chris.

This made me LOL

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed May 25, 2011 2:03 pm

Wow. I can't imagine only having 2 friends at school. I'm glad I felt a compelling reason to acquire a vast social network.

I would imagine it would be a little easier to make friends 1L - you are in class with the same 70 odd people everyyyy day ?

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:15 pm

People on TLS are either huge exaggerators, huge gunners, or my law school is just a bunch of slackers because the amount of hours thrown around on TLS is probably twice the amount the average student does.

It's harder than a poli sci degree, but so is tying a shoe.

The first couple weeks it'll take you a bit longer to read than you should. You'll brief despite everyone saying you shouldn't, and after three weeks you won't anymore. But my professors were pretty easy on us the first month.

You'll have 150-300 pages of reading a week. It's really not super dense. This should really take no more than 20 hours. It probably should only take 8-10.

You'll have probably 15 hours of class time.

And every thirdish week you'll have a memo/brief due. Most people I know spend two days straight on them. These suck ass.

If you are fairly good with time management it's a 40/hour a week job, with a heavy week every three weeks.

But then finals happen. They suck. You pretty much work hard for a week then frantically for three.

Anyone who can't have a social life is doing it wrong. A lot of people make it to every social event and do very well.

V811

Postby V811 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:People on TLS are either huge exaggerators, huge gunners, or my law school is just a bunch of slackers because the amount of hours thrown around on TLS is probably twice the amount the average student does.

The first couple weeks it'll take you a bit longer to read than you should. You'll brief despite everyone saying you shouldn't, and after three weeks you won't anymore. But my professors were pretty easy on us the first month.

You'll have 150-300 pages of reading a week. It's really not super dense. This should really take no more than 20 hours. It probably should only take 8-10.

And every thirdish week you'll have a memo/brief due. Most people I know spend two days straight on them. These suck ass.

If you are fairly good with time management it's a 40/hour a week job, with a heavy week every three weeks.

But then finals happen. They suck. You pretty much work hard for a week then frantically for three.

Anyone who can't have a social life is doing it wrong. A lot of people make it to every social event and do very well.

Thank god for you desert fox...I needed this to let me chill the fuck out before i start out at usc law. Having a social life is definitely important to me

ladylegale

Postby ladylegale » Wed May 25, 2011 2:36 pm

I went to community college for 2 years before transferring to a 4 year college. During that time I mainly hung out with people I already knew outside of class, and only made 2 friends from my sprawling campus - neither of whom I speak to much anymore, though I occasionally spy their status updates. However, I was out quite often and didn't focus with any intensity in any of my classes.
While pursuing my BA I cut down on the socializing, and still mainly hung out with a handful of people I knew outside my school. Perhaps I missed out on the bonding that I'm assuming takes place during the 1st two years in a 4 year university. I did make a few friends, but only ever hung out outside of school with two of them, and they were both named Chris. Since I enjoyed what I was studying and I lived off campus, I felt no compelling reason to acquire a vast social network, so I didn't. I'll probably try a little harder while in law school, as the connections I could make hold more potential.
(I've been out of school for a few years, but I'm just interested in the difference between the social life in law school and undergrad for different people)[/quote]

Wow this was exactly what my undergrad experience was like. I was a transfer to & made practically no real friends in college. I mean of course I had the typical buddies that I might eat lunch with (on campus only) or even a couple that I might attend an on campus event with, but thats about it. Now that I've graduated we don't talk anymore (we just "like" eachothers Facebook posts). I was actually hoping to make some life long connections during law school, not just the superficial acquaintances that I have from college now. I know law school is about more than just a social experience, but it would be nice

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:37 pm

Don't worry law school is filled with asperger's cases like yourselves.

ladylegale

Postby ladylegale » Wed May 25, 2011 2:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Don't worry law school is filled with asperger's cases like yourselves.

LOL! So there is hope.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:41 pm

A social life is for the weak. HTH

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed May 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Law school is a party.

DavidYurman85

Postby DavidYurman85 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:46 pm

my g/f was an ee major in ug and most of her friends were from the engineering department. after graduation, most of them headed out west to work for big tech companies and they pretty much lost touch (this was before the fb generation) after ug. however, her social life picked back up and seemed fulfilling in law school. by that i mean, she did well in her classes and still had time for our relationship, to hang out with her parents, and to maintain relationships with the friends she made in law school. most of these were friendships that were formed because they were her study buddies and they had similar interests. it also helped that, unlike my g/f, two of the people weren't from the area/didn't have family nearby and so they were eager to make friends too. when everyone started studying for the bar there was some lapse in how much they all hung out, but it has since picked back up. it's even to the point where i'm comfortable calling them to hang out as well. i will say that it helped that they all ended up working in the same city after law school. so yeah, i think it's possible to make "life long" friendships in law school.

*this is totally from the perspective of a non-law school student who's dating one.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed May 25, 2011 3:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Don't worry law school is filled with asperger's cases like yourselves.

lol, I didnt want to say it....thanks

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed May 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:People on TLS are either huge exaggerators, huge gunners, or my law school is just a bunch of slackers because the amount of hours thrown around on TLS is probably twice the amount the average student does [. . .] Anyone who can't have a social life is doing it wrong. A lot of people make it to every social event and do very well.

Thank you, this is good to know.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed May 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone who can't have a social life is doing it wrong.

downing

Postby downing » Thu May 26, 2011 12:23 am

Desert Fox wrote:People on TLS are either huge exaggerators, huge gunners, or my law school is just a bunch of slackers because the amount of hours thrown around on TLS is probably twice the amount the average student does.

This is good to know.
When people say they study 8-10 hours a day, do they include the time spent in class?
I can see myself studying up to 6-7 hours a day, but 8 seems like it's approaching excessive.

BeaverHunter

Postby BeaverHunter » Thu May 26, 2011 10:17 am

How is the hookup scene? Easy to dominate?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:21 am

downing wrote:

This is good to know.
When people say they study 8-10 hours a day, do they include the time spent in class?
I can see myself studying up to 6-7 hours a day, but 8 seems like it's approaching excessive.

The extra hour just too much?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu May 26, 2011 10:22 am

BeaverHunter wrote:How is the hookup scene? Easy to dominate?

Kinda gives new meaning to "BeaverHunter," doesn't it?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu May 26, 2011 10:25 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

There's a different meaning?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Thu May 26, 2011 10:27 am

Don't hook up with other law students.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu May 26, 2011 10:28 am

paratactical wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Wanted to give the poster the benefit of the doubt. Or at least, not rush to judgment that he/she is as sick as I am.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu May 26, 2011 10:29 am

this thread is full of lulz- keep em coming!

you can easiy have a social life in law school. while you cant get blackout drunk 5 days a week and do well( unlike UG where you needed to go to class and pay attention and write papers- then drink like a champ, except for when you had tests), if you have any time management skills you can enjoy life and do well.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Thu May 26, 2011 10:29 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
paratactical wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Wanted to give the poster the benefit of the doubt. Or at least, not rush to judgment that he/she is as sick as I am.

His name is "BeaverHunter." And you're not particularly "sick."

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:31 am

johnnyutah wrote:....
His name is "BeaverHunter." And you're not particularly "sick."

Beaver also refers to an animal that is huntable. Trapping is usually better though.

Return to “Law School FAQ”