Law Student Inquiry

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
csbcsb

Law Student Inquiry

Postby csbcsb » Tue May 24, 2011 3:26 pm

This is directed to students at top law schools: How would you characterize your peers? What qualities/traits do you find that most students/professors have? Are there virtues/abilities that many seem to lack? How do the law students compare to the business school students at your school (in your experience)? In your unbiased opinion, does the field of law attract the brightest minds? Or is it considered a less desirable fallback option?

I'm an undergraduate and am trying to get a sense of the type of personalities/skills/predilections that law school tends to attract. Before ranting about the inadequacy of generalizations, know that I'm only looking for anecdotes about the type of people (as perceived by contributors of this site) at the top LSchools and will not use them in isolation to inform my decision to apply or not to apply to LS. When asking seemingly knowledgeable/successful people, I've gotten very mixed perspectives as to the type of people that law attracts (ranging roughly from the most intelligent/intellectual in society to self-loathing, introverted wannabe investment bankers). I only ask because I find the law very interesting, and am very fond of debate or intellectually spirited discussion on almost any topic. I also like mathematics and economics; and ultimately will have to make a personal choice between finance and law down the road. Oddly enough, finding reliable information about law students/school is difficult; and I appreciate your insights.

sambeber

Re: Law Student Inquiry

Postby sambeber » Tue May 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Last edited by sambeber on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue May 24, 2011 3:35 pm

sambeber wrote:0L here, but I guess it's a pretty safe bet to say that law students do in fact "range roughly from the most intelligent/intellectual in society to self-loathing, introverted wannabe investment bankers."

You seem to overestimate your peers. You've described two very intelligent groups of people, you don't have to be intellectual to get into a top law school.

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Tue May 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Last edited by sambeber on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mths

Postby mths » Tue May 24, 2011 4:05 pm

Cupidity wrote:
sambeber wrote:0L here, but I guess it's a pretty safe bet to say that law students do in fact "range roughly from the most intelligent/intellectual in society to self-loathing, introverted wannabe investment bankers."

You seem to overestimate your peers. You've described two very intelligent groups of people, you don't have to be intellectual to get into a top law school.

bankers aren't intelligent

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue May 24, 2011 4:28 pm

I don't know why that wasn't clear to me. Withdrawn.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue May 24, 2011 4:30 pm

I guess none of the above posters recognize this from last year, and the meme-induced hilarity that resulted.

Also, IBTL

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Tue May 24, 2011 4:32 pm

IBTL/B

Mods: Can there be some sort of award for highest rate of IBTLs?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue May 24, 2011 4:50 pm

The dude's an incoming 1L at American in a different thread, too. :roll:

Return to “Law School FAQ”