Help my Harvard-bound girlfriend with a housing issue!

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
splitterfriendly

Help my Harvard-bound girlfriend with a housing issue!

Postby splitterfriendly » Tue May 24, 2011 12:43 am

*Posted this on the current students board, too. Hope that doesn't irk people.

For whatever reason, she neglected to check the proper email account for notices about housing for the past few weeks, expecting it to be forwarded to gmail, or something.. Today, she logs into the account and sees a bunch of notices / final notices / removals from consideration for housing, and even the waitlists for housing.. She's emailed the dean and the housing administration but hasn't yet received word back. She's really down about the whole situation and thinks she'll miss out on a big portion of 'the experience' by living off campus, with strangers.

Is there anything she can do to get back 'in' with housing?

If you've had any similar experience with housing at your school, please share it.

If you started 1L living off campus, how do you think you live(d) differently than students who live(d) on campus? Is it difficult to adjust? Is it harder to become involved in extra curriculars?

*Also, it seems relevant to tell you she'll be turning 21 in the Fall.

Thanks!

TL;DR; Harvard bound GF just discovered that she missed the housing deadline by ~2 weeks and is really down about potentially not living on campus. Any pertinent advice / insight, TLS?

Edit: Reddit TLS (fuck.. sorry..)
Last edited by splitterfriendly on Tue May 24, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Re: Help my Harvard-bound girlfriend with a housing issue!

Postby Knock » Tue May 24, 2011 12:44 am

splitterfriendly wrote:*Posted this on the current students board, too. Hope that doesn't irk people.

For whatever reason, she neglected to check the proper email account for notices about housing for the past few weeks, expecting it to be forwarded to gmail, or something.. Today, she logs into the account and sees a bunch of notices / final notices / removals from consideration for housing, and even the waitlists for housing.. She's emailed the dean and the housing administration but hasn't yet received word back. She's really down about the whole situation and thinks she'll miss out on a big portion of 'the experience' by living off campus, with strangers.

If you've had any similar experience with housing at your school, please share it.

If you started 1L living off campus, how do you think you live(d) differently than students who live(d) on campus? Is it difficult to adjust? Is it harder to become involved in extra curriculars?

Thanks!

TL;DR; Harvard bound GF just discovered that she missed the housing deadline by ~2 weeks and is really down about potentially not living on campus. Any pertinent advice / insight, Reddit?

1. This isn't Reddit.
2. Don't post this in multiple forums: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156159.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:46 am

She should suck it up and live off-campus... Not getting on-campus housing isn't the end of the world.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Tue May 24, 2011 12:56 am

What's the cost of campus housing? Depending on how much your GF is willing to spend, she can still probably live close to campus. Post here or PM me her budget and I can tell you where she'll be able to live.

splitterfriendly

Postby splitterfriendly » Tue May 24, 2011 12:57 am

@knock - 1. my bad; 2. next time.

splitterfriendly

Postby splitterfriendly » Tue May 24, 2011 1:10 am

bhan87 wrote:She should suck it up and live off-campus... Not getting on-campus housing isn't the end of the world.

When someone's worked so hard for something, and for so long, a relatively minor setback can turn out, in that moment, to feel like the end of the world. She's not by any means about to slit her wrists, but she's upset and I'd like to put her at ease. Telling her to 'suck it up' won't do that. (But thank you for allowing me to make that innuendo.)

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue May 24, 2011 1:14 am

Since the other thread was locked, i'll copy my response over here:

Thanks!

TL;DR; Harvard bound GF just discovered that she missed the housing deadline by ~2 weeks and is really down about potentially not living on campus. Any pertinent advice / insight, Reddit?

Close enough ;). I'm sure living off campus will be fine, seeing as the majority of HLS students, including 60% of 1Ls live off campus. She could try living in HRES University Housing. She would be off-campus, but living in the same building with other HLS students.

Tell her to set up her Harvard email account to forward her emails to Gmail, and then send a test email to confirm you set it up properly.

splitterfriendly

Postby splitterfriendly » Tue May 24, 2011 1:20 am

^

She's fixed her emails.
And I told her about as much, about ~half of students living off campus. Still, she'll only be 21 and is big on the communal / social aspect of on campus housing. Also, she's lived in LA for most of her life.. Walking to and from class in the snow from a distance may prove to be a problem..

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue May 24, 2011 1:22 am

splitterfriendly wrote:^

She's fixed her emails.
And I told her about as much, about ~half of students living off campus. Still, she'll only be 21 and is big on the communal / social aspect of on campus housing. Also, she's lived in LA for most of her life.. Walking to and from class in the snow from a distance may prove to be a problem..

Did she apply for HRES? She can live with law students off-campus, and some of the properties are in pretty easy walking distance. And it's more like 75% of JD students overall living off campus.

Approximately 25% of all HLS students live in on-campus housing (nearly 40% of the 1L class and 50% of the LL.M. program).

Postby 20121109 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:29 am

Knock wrote:

She's fixed her emails.

Did she apply for HRES? She can live with law students off-campus, and some of the properties are in pretty easy walking distance. And it's more like 75% of JD students overall living off campus.

Approximately 25% of all HLS students live in on-campus housing (nearly 40% of the 1L class and 50% of the LL.M. program).

+1

Seriously. Most people actually avoid living on campus because the dorms are simply...underwhelming.

I live in HRES housing. It's pretty awesome. She still has a ton of time to secure housing. Tell your gf not to worry.

splitterfriendly

Postby splitterfriendly » Tue May 24, 2011 1:32 am

^

She hasn't applied for anything yet, that I know of.. I think she's hoping to hear back from Housing / dean before she does anything else. Do you happen to know if they take age into account when grouping people together for off campus housing?
Thanks.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue May 24, 2011 1:34 am

She hasn't applied for anything yet, that I know of.. I think she's hoping to hear back from Housing / dean before she does anything else. Do you happen to know if they take age into account when grouping people together for off campus housing?
Thanks.

Well, you could use the HRES Roommate Center (LinkRemoved) to find a roommate of a similar age. But the people in the building will be a variety of ages i'm sure. She might as well apply for HRES housing and look at properties and see if there are any that she likes. It's not binding or anything.

splitterfriendly

Postby splitterfriendly » Tue May 24, 2011 1:36 am

Seriously. Most people actually avoid living on campus because the dorms are simply...underwhelming.

I live in HRES housing. It's pretty awesome. She still has a ton of time to secure housing. Tell your gf not to worry.

Could you explain what you mean by 'underwhelming'?

How is it different than / similar to traditional on campus housing? More specifically, how is it awesome(r)?

Thanks.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:37 am

splitterfriendly wrote:
bhan87 wrote:She should suck it up and live off-campus... Not getting on-campus housing isn't the end of the world.

When someone's worked so hard for something, and for so long, a relatively minor setback can turn out, in that moment, to feel like the end of the world. She's not by any means about to slit her wrists, but she's upset and I'd like to put her at ease. Telling her to 'suck it up' won't do that. (But thank you for allowing me to make that innuendo.)

But this ISN'T a setback in any way. Especially considering that more than half of Harvard's students live off-campus... This also makes it more likely that the housing dean will be less flexible about allowing someone into the housing system past the deadline. If you really want to comfort her, you could find some nice housing options in the area for her.

splitterfriendly

Postby splitterfriendly » Tue May 24, 2011 1:41 am

But this ISN'T a setback in any way. Especially considering that more than half of Harvard's students live off-campus... This also makes it more likely that the housing dean will be less flexible about allowing someone into the housing system past the deadline.

That's what I was looking for. Thank you.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:50 am

On campus housing is a scam, I bet itll be cheaper to just rent a place off campus.

Postby 20121109 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:42 am

splitterfriendly wrote:

Could you explain what you mean by 'underwhelming'?

How is it different than / similar to traditional on campus housing? More specifically, how is it awesome(r)?

Thanks.

Well Gropius...as you can tell from its name, is kinda ugly. Small sized rooms, shared bathrooms and kitchens.

Hastings is nicer...but you still have to share bathrooms and kitchens. There is a living room to share between the two suitemates, however. And of course, when finals goes down, you won't be able to get away from all the tension in the dorms. Sometimes it's nice to be away from it all.

Off campus is better because you get a place that could be insanely close to campus (seriously, a bunch of people from my section live on Everett Street which is right next to Gropius) with your own private kitchen and bathroom. Most of these apartments are in better condition than either Gropius or Hastings.

She should also try for either the HLS Apartments on Mellen Street, or North Hall. In North Hall, you have your own room and your own bathroom. There is a kitchen on every floor.

On-campus living is just not that serious, and like Knock said, most people live off-campus anyway. I know she wants to experience dorm life but this is not college. She's not missing out on anything by not living on-campus.

There is 10 Garden Street, several places up Mass Ave, and many more. Your gf has so many choices for convenient accommodation. Search the HRES database and just find something that is close to campus. She'll be fine.

Return to “Law School FAQ”