IP law and hard science degree question

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
huttom84

IP law and hard science degree question

Postby huttom84 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:53 am

I realize that hard science degrees are at least preferred, if not necessary for most IP positions, but by hard science degree is it MS's they are talking about or simply B.S.? Im a 0L hoping to get into an IP firm once out of school, but my degree is a B.S. in Human Biology (and a minor in chem and psych), no Masters. Am I at a pretty big disadvantage since all i have is a bachelors?

Gideon Strumpet

Re: IP law and hard science degree question

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Fri May 20, 2011 2:04 am

The letters they're looking for are: P. H. D. Either that, or significant work experience that will clearly equate to it.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:23 am

No patent prosecution firm is going to hire you without at least a masters. And even that is shaky. And human bio sounds even more shitty than regular bio.

You might be able to land a patent litigation job, but it'll be harder than finding a regular big law job. And coming from UW-madison, you are going to have to do very well.

If you are set on IP, don't go to law school. If you want to be a lawyer anyway, then you should sign up for the loyola patent fair. You probably won't get any interviews, but you might.

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:33 pm

DF, what about someone with a BS in Physics and going to Columbia? Is patent lit a viable option for me?

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Ship87 wrote:DF, what about someone with a BS in Physics and going to Columbia? Is patent lit a viable option for me?

I'm not sure how firms treat BS Physics. But I think you have a good shot. Definitely go to the loyola patent fair.

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Ship87 wrote:DF, what about someone with a BS in Physics and going to Columbia? Is patent lit a viable option for me?

I'm not sure how firms treat BS Physics. But I think you have a good shot. Definitely go to the loyola patent fair.

Thanks for the quick reply and the reference. I'll def czech it out when I start at CLS in the fall. In regards to how firms treat Physics, I've read elsewhere firms prefer engineering majors since physics tends to be more theoretical. Do you think the same preference holds for litigation?

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Ship87 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply and the reference. I'll def czech it out when I start at CLS in the fall. In regards to how firms treat Physics, I've read elsewhere firms prefer engineering majors since physics tends to be more theoretical. Do you think the same preference holds for litigation?

I'd imagine for some firms, but you can spin your degree as being able to understand EE and MechE designs.

Return to “Law School FAQ”