Book stands?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sundance95

Re: Book stands?

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:24 pm

fatduck wrote:i'm not sure why people are flipping out about a tiny, folding, metal book stand. looks pretty handy to me, actually. i'm also not sure why everyone jumped to the conclusion that he wanted it for class...

For serious. I'm absolutely planning on buying one of these for my home office. Hunching over books for long periods can really mess with your neck and back.

Wouldn't take it to class though, obviously.

And, all that said, not sure why someone would need guidance re purchasing a book stand. Does it stand the book? Then you're good.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon May 16, 2011 3:29 pm

sundance95 wrote:
fatduck wrote:i'm not sure why people are flipping out about a tiny, folding, metal book stand. looks pretty handy to me, actually. i'm also not sure why everyone jumped to the conclusion that he wanted it for class...

For serious. I'm absolutely planning on buying one of these for my home office. Hunching over books for long periods can really mess with your neck and back.

Wouldn't take it to class though, obviously.

And, all that said, not sure why someone would need guidance re purchasing a book stand. Does it stand the book? Then you're good.

I wasn't planning on bringing it to class. I thought it might come in handy when I read otherwise, at the library, etc. I guess I only wanted advice, because I wondered if the ones I looked at seemed too small or large or whatever else for most law school books. In retrospect, I suppose it was stupid to ask.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon May 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Not to sound like a crazy 0L gunner, but I am trying to think of things that might be useful to have as a law student and I thought a book stand might be one of them. Do either of these look like they could be useful to people:
--LinkRemoved-- ... B000GFEZAK
--LinkRemoved-- ... -1-catcorr

Anyone use any others that they care to recommend? Many thanks in advance!

I think it was the assumption when gunning was mentioned (more efficient referencing in class?). Although I'm guessing the true intention for referring to gunning was just due to this level of aforethought

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Tue May 17, 2011 12:52 pm

I have the ultimate office accessory. You all don't stand a chance against me. It's a long story, but the short version goes like this:

When I was in UG, I worked at a big-box hardware retailer. For reasons I won't get into, Lee Smith was signing autographs in the store one day, so we put out this fancy leather office chair for him. After he left, the chair became a floor model. Eventually, I was able to negotiate its purchase for a mere $25.

That chair is POWERFUL! LEE SMITH SAT IN IT! And I will have it in law school! Muahahaha!

Wachtell/SCOTUS, here I come.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue May 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Hippononymous wrote:I have the ultimate office accessory. You all don't stand a chance against me. It's a long story, but the short version goes like this:

When I was in UG, I worked at a big-box hardware retailer. For reasons I won't get into, Lee Smith was signing autographs in the store one day, so we put out this fancy leather office chair for him. After he left, the chair became a floor model. Eventually, I was able to negotiate its purchase for a mere $25.

That chair is POWERFUL! LEE SMITH SAT IN IT! And I will have it in law school! Muahahaha!

Wachtell/SCOTUS, here I come.

Impressive, but it will only work if you bring it to class every day.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed May 18, 2011 12:46 am

Dude, not only does the thing cost $12, but you could make it for a couple bucks out of a coat hanger or something similar. Try it out for yourself....... are you really going to trust the feedback of random Internet strangers on something so cheap?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed May 18, 2011 12:49 am

Corwin wrote:Dude, not only does the thing cost $12, but you could make it for a couple bucks out of a coat hanger or something similar. Try it out for yourself....... are you really going to trust the feedback of random Internet strangers on something so cheap?

Umm, isn't this what we're here for?

Also, will be looking for the guy in my section using a bent up coat hanger as a book stand - I want to be friends with him.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed May 18, 2011 12:52 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Corwin wrote:Dude, not only does the thing cost $12, but you could make it for a couple bucks out of a coat hanger or something similar. Try it out for yourself....... are you really going to trust the feedback of random Internet strangers on something so cheap?

Also, will be looking for the guy in my section using a bent up coat hanger as a book stand - I want to be friends with him.

You could just balance your books on a dead rat. 8)

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Wed May 18, 2011 12:52 am

Sort of. But when we are talking about something so trivial, you probably should try it out for yourself. He's going to spend more than 12$ of his time reading this thread. It would have been a better choice just to buy it and try it. :P

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed May 18, 2011 12:54 am

What on earth are you talking about.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed May 18, 2011 12:55 am

Corwin wrote:

Sort of. But when we are talking about something so trivial, you probably should try it out for yourself. He's going to spend more than 12$ of his time reading this thread. It would have been a better choice just to buy it and try it. :P

I can be paid $12 of my time for reading these threads . . . :shock:

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed May 18, 2011 12:58 am

Dany wrote:What on earth are you talking about.

i don't know, but i'm sending him an invoice for $5.37

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed May 18, 2011 12:59 am

All the 2Ls I know on LR used them. Definitely get one.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed May 18, 2011 1:20 am

fatduck wrote:
Dany wrote:What on earth are you talking about.

i don't know, but i'm sending him an invoice for $5.37

lol

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Wed May 18, 2011 3:33 am

I have a book stand and I love it. I hate hunching over books and holding a 2000 page book upright can get legit painful.

Just make sure the back is adequately supportive and the clips don't make changing the page too much of a bitch. I had this one that kept falling over whenever I put anything that wasn't a paperback in it even though it was specifically marketed for textbooks. I was not impressed.

Return to “Law School FAQ”