Female Law School Wardrobe Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Renne Walker

Silver

Female Law School Wardrobe

Post by Renne Walker » Sat May 14, 2011 12:23 pm

As a 1L, what should be in our closet when we are expected to “dress up?”

Pant Suit ― Skirted Suit ― pinned or solid.
Shoes.
Jewelry.
Handbag.
Briefcase.
Other. . . chime in.
Last edited by Renne Walker on Sat May 14, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

viking138

Bronze

Re: Female Law School Wardrobe

Post by viking138 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Renne Walker wrote:As a 1L, what should be in our closet when we are expected to “dress up?”

What is your take on. . .
Pant Suit ― Shirted Suit ― pinned or solid.
Shoes.
Jewelry.
Handbag.
Brief Case.
Other. . . chime in.
No need for a briefcase. Have a nice black tote (something likethis without the giant logo: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tory-burch- ... 1517B1882A

Some firms are very conservative and prefer the skirt suit from what I've heard. As for jewelry, just pearl bobs if you have pierced ears, otherwise I can't think of anything.

This is all for interviewing. You won't need this kind of thing for law school, but I would recommend at least one nice cocktail dress for receptions and things.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Sat May 14, 2011 1:03 pm

You don't need a "briefcase" per se. Just have a decent handbag-style laptop bag or fancy tote that will fit your laptop and/or a portfolio thing.

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Sat May 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks for the briefcase advice! You just saved me a few hundred dollars since I was looking at something like this. . .

http://www.hartmann.com/shop/products-t ... ief%5ECase

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sat May 14, 2011 1:19 pm

silly girl, SLUT UP!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sat May 14, 2011 3:51 pm

I think 1 staple is having black pumps that you can walk in semi-comfortably (less than 3'' heel).

Had a ? for you girls:
- What are the most classic/conservative suit colors in law?
Black, charcoal, lighter grey, brown (dark), navy .. am I on the right track?

And only completely matching suits are considered business attire right? (meaning no lighter and darker shades of the same color in pants/jacket) for any alumni reception type events.

Thanks.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat May 14, 2011 5:24 pm

This is sort of related if you also wanted to ask there too, JJ: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=111974

I'd probably go with black or charcoal, but some of that is personal preference.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 7:24 pm

Renne Walker wrote:As a 1L, what should be in our closet when we are expected to “dress up?”

What is your take on. . .
Pant Suit ― Shirted Suit ― pinned or solid.
Shoes.
Jewelry.
Handbag.
Brief Case.
Other. . . chime in.
Full disclosure - I'm a guy, so... yeah. Take this for less or more valuable.

Another thread where this was argued out a bit was: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=151115

I'm 100% pro-pant suit. But I think what we settled on was just that I thought they looked hot, whereas skirts couldn't look hot without looking slutty. Man or woman, you want to disarm people with how good looking you are, but if you can't come off in a bad way. Also, you don't want a lot of jewelry, or any really. Men don't wear jewelry.

The only absolute rule is no open-toed shoes. Do not wear them to anything professional, ever. Once you're a partner, I guess you're probably fine to do what you want. Partners get dinged out too, however.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sat May 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Look professional but sort of plain - no flashy accesories - no scarves/chunky jewellery etc. stick to studs or pearls.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

verdandi

New

Post by verdandi » Sat May 14, 2011 8:13 pm

Two staples I love love love, and worth investing in or waiting to go on sale:

--LinkRemoved--

You will just simply need a handbag you can drag stuff around in, especially during OCI/callbacks. Spending a little money now is a fine investment because you are going to use it for years. Definitely stick to black, though -- it's the easiest to match to other pieces and doesn't draw too much attention to itself.

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalo ... &scrY=1957

Cole Haan used to make a pointed toe version called Air Miranda which I just LOVE - I own two pairs - but it looks like they discontinued those. The talias I think are fine rounded-toe replacements. I haven't seen these in person but they might be too shiny. You don't want shoes to draw attention; rather, you want your whole wardrobe to recede into the background when you are interviewing for jobs. But if these aren't too shiny I think they are beautiful options for beginning a professional wardrobe. The Mirandas also are super comfortable.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat May 14, 2011 9:01 pm

Wow those shoes are expensive.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:05 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Because the job market is that bad

verdandi

New

Post by verdandi » Sat May 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Dany wrote:Wow those shoes are expensive.
True. But 1) expensive from a good company generally means they are well made and will last a long time; and 2) Cole Haan shoes go on sale all the time. Find the ones you like and google them; you'll find lots of discount sites selling the same shoes or slightly different styles from other seasons for a very reasonable price (I just snagged a pair of black pumps similar to those listed for $90).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KeepitKind

Bronze

Post by KeepitKind » Sat May 14, 2011 11:13 pm

silly girl, SLUT UP!!

wow, dood, thanks for reminding me how bad network sitcom's are..

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 11:22 pm

Dany wrote:Wow those shoes are expensive.
If it's anything like men's shoes... that's not really that outrageous. Good shoes are worth it.

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Sat May 14, 2011 11:23 pm

JJDancer wrote:I think 1 staple is having black pumps that you can walk in semi-comfortably (less than 3'' heel).

Had a ? for you girls:
- What are the most classic/conservative suit colors in law?
Black, charcoal, lighter grey, brown (dark), navy .. am I on the right track?

And only completely matching suits are considered business attire right? (meaning no lighter and darker shades of the same color in pants/jacket) for any alumni reception type events.

Thanks.
Colors need to match I believe, but it does not have to be a suit. And for alumni receptions, it's typically business casual in my experience, so a nice pencil skirt, blouse, and cardigan or an appropriate length sheath dress are both fine.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sun May 15, 2011 12:30 am

Thanks. Would dress pants, blouse, cardigan or pants, button-down, cardigan be similarly appropriate as well?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:52 am

JJDancer wrote:Thanks. Would dress pants, blouse, cardigan or pants, button-down, cardigan be similarly appropriate as well?
If you're referring to law firm receptions at your school or alumni gatherings, then certainly that should be appropriate. I saw plenty of women wearing things like that at my 1L law firm receptions.

OH and fyi, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, and J.Crew all have ~15% discounts for students in-store. Just bring in your student ID. At BR, they combined a 30% sale with the 15% discount and I got a suit and non-iron shirt for $200 (great for BR).

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Sun May 15, 2011 2:30 am

After reading your advice, I went internet shopping. . .see what you think? Skirt rather than pants, good? Possibly too much black. . .perhaps best offset by pinstripe? Little heavy on the necklace?

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Renne Walker on Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 am, edited 9 times in total.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun May 15, 2011 4:48 am

Picture isn't working :(

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sun May 15, 2011 10:27 am

You're going to want to have at least one of these in your wardrobe.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:11 am

I would suggest having a nice pair of khakis. Whether they are the traditional tan or a darker brown or gray, they are nice to have for a really casual event. They can easily be paired with any blouse for business casual. I also suggest having some knee-length skirts and even a few that are in some prints. Depending on the occasion and how casual your employer's office is, you may need a decent array of business casual clothing (my office for the summer is business casual -- sundresses/cardigans, skirts/short sleeve tops, khakis/blouses all ok and encouraged).

Please, please, please, please do not wear stiletto heals or skirts that are more than a FEW inches above the knee. It only takes dressing inappropriately once for everyone to remember you as "the girl at orientation whose skirt was so short we could see her panties." Yeah, we have that girl at my school.

On a daily basis for class, wear whatever you are comfortable in. Some people wear sweats, some dress business casual or nicer on a daily basis. It all depends on your style.

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Renne Walker wrote:After reading your advice, I went internet shopping. . .see what you think? Skirt rather than pants, good? Possibly too much black. . .perhaps best offset by pinstripe? Little heavy on the necklace?

--ImageRemoved--

Edit for image.
Couldn't see the images, but for women a black suit is what you want, NOT pinstripes.

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:22 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:23 pm

or this

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.