Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 9:56 pm

I just took my calculus final and it did not go well. It is a very real possibility I fail this course and have to take it again over the summer. A couple things contributed to this, working two jobs, being awful at math, having a very tough time communicating with my teacher who (and i hate that this is an issue) struggles speaking/writing the english language.

The problem is I have some very large scholarship offers from schools, including the one I plan on attending. Can i possibly lose my scholarship? Are there other unforeseen consequences?

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby Naked Dude » Thu May 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just took my calculus final and it did not go well. It is a very real possibility I fail this course and have to take it again over the summer. A couple things contributed to this, working two jobs, being awful at math, having a very tough time communicating with my teacher who (and i hate that this is an issue) struggles speaking/writing the english language.

The problem is I have some very large scholarship offers from schools, including the one I plan on attending. Can i possibly lose my scholarship? Are there other unforeseen consequences?


I don't know what your precise course of action should be, but you should definitely meet with your pre-law advisor and academic advisor or dean ASAP. And probably contact your schools.

If it comes to it, come clean to your Calc prof. Explain your situation and beg him/her hardcore if necessary. Dignity is a privilege sometimes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 9:59 pm

OP here. i realized i put this in the wrong thread, my bad.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just took my calculus final and it did not go well. It is a very real possibility I fail this course and have to take it again over the summer. A couple things contributed to this, working two jobs, being awful at math, having a very tough time communicating with my teacher who (and i hate that this is an issue) struggles speaking/writing the english language.

The problem is I have some very large scholarship offers from schools, including the one I plan on attending. Can i possibly lose my scholarship? Are there other unforeseen consequences?


I don't know what your precise course of action should be, but you should definitely meet with your pre-law advisor and academic advisor or dean ASAP. And probably contact your schools.

If it comes to it, come clean to your Calc prof. Explain your situation and beg him/her hardcore if necessary. Dignity is a privilege sometimes.


Am i at risk of losing my scholarships?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Freaking out.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby Naked Dude » Thu May 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just took my calculus final and it did not go well. It is a very real possibility I fail this course and have to take it again over the summer. A couple things contributed to this, working two jobs, being awful at math, having a very tough time communicating with my teacher who (and i hate that this is an issue) struggles speaking/writing the english language.

The problem is I have some very large scholarship offers from schools, including the one I plan on attending. Can i possibly lose my scholarship? Are there other unforeseen consequences?


I don't know what your precise course of action should be, but you should definitely meet with your pre-law advisor and academic advisor or dean ASAP. And probably contact your schools.

If it comes to it, come clean to your Calc prof. Explain your situation and beg him/her hardcore if necessary. Dignity is a privilege sometimes.


Am i at risk of losing my scholarships?


I'd love to reassure you, but I have no idea. I'd be far more worried about your acceptance itself being rescinded, not just scholarships. Talk to your calculus professor immediately about your worries and ask, if necessary, if there is anything, anything at all, that you can do to get at least a C or so if you failed the final. Beg, cajole, kiss ass, cook up a sob story, work up the angle of working two jobs (that's legit). Talk to your dean. Call your school. Instead of sitting in the dark worrying you need to connect with the higher ups (admissions at your law schools, your professor, your advisor, your prelaw advisor, dean if necessary). Send out emails asking for an emergency appointment as soon as possible. Now. Don't wait.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu May 12, 2011 10:24 pm

what undergrad are you at? beg for a D-

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 10:27 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:what undergrad are you at? beg for a D-


i don't want to out myself but a tier 1 business school. The problem is she is not at all receptive to this sort of thing. She's from Beijing and is completely by the book/evil.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby dr123 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Why in the fuck are you taking Calc 2nd semester senior year?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 10:32 pm

dr123 wrote:Why in the fuck are you taking Calc 2nd semester senior year?


long story/not what I'm thinking about right now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 12, 2011 10:52 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:what undergrad are you at? beg for a D-


has anyone heard of law schools rescinding offers/scholarships? I was under the impression my lsac gpa would count for my law schools USNews ranking, and so the transcript I ultimately send them won't matter much. Obviously I know F is horrible and stands out

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu May 12, 2011 11:06 pm

I've never personally heard of an acceptance/scholarship being taken away but I'm sure it has happened before. I honestly just don't get how you can know all you need is a D- to move on to law school and you slacked so much that you got an F. Then again, I haven't had a math class since my first year and took a "First Year Studies: Introduction to College" course as one of my 4 electives for this last semester so I can't exactly criticize.

Wait to get the grade back. Then, move on from there. Why worry before you even know? I'm convinced that despite what professors say, they often have to meet certain grading criteria to hit GPA medians. Better start hoping you did better than your classmates! Let us know what happens, then we will give advice.

User avatar
rocon7383
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Failing a Class Final Semester of UG

Postby rocon7383 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:06 pm

I really couldn't say definitively. Although, I don't think your grades post-LSAC grades hurt or help the law school. Maybe, if you do end up failing, you could try and explain it to the law school? Or give it to the awfully late- well after you've given them their numerous deposits? I just don't know, though.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest