LF Advice. Possibility of raising GPA with costs.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Johnathanrs

LF Advice. Possibility of raising GPA with costs.

Postby Johnathanrs » Wed May 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Hello, I have been reading a lot of forums/articles but can’t seem to find anything pertaining to this situation. An interesting topic, was wondering if I could get some thought process on how you would handle this situation, or what you would do.

I transferred from a crappy regionally accredited college (UMUC) which I partook in during my time with the military as a part time student to a national university (WSU).

From this regional: A = 4 B = 3 C= 2 D-F = 0. C and below can re-take a class to raise GPA.
From this national: A+ = 4 A- = 3.7 B+= 3.3 B = 3 B- = 2.7 C+ = 2.4 C = 2 C- = 1.7 D/F = 0 C – and below can retake a class to raise GPA.

WSU stance is you are not allowed to re-take classes unless you have received a C- or worst. However, UMUC allows you to do it with simply a “C.” However it clearly states on your transcript for both colleges that you did in fact re-take classes. (Even though you passed originally)(Yet from what I am reading, even elite schools don't seem to weigh this, they only seem to care what your GPA is.)

I am about to finish my undergrad degree from WSU.(3.2) However, WSU will not allow me to re-take classes to raise my GPA; yet, I can transfer back to UMUC and exploit the loop hole and graduate from the crappy college with a 3.5-.6 GPA. My dream college Is Harvard/Cornell which I have a slight possibility of getting in based on pure GPA merits (with a 3.6 GPA + 178 LSAT)

So what to do? Go back and have a degree forever haunting me that I have any affiliation from this college just to better my chances at law school? Or, stay with WSU and simply pray for the long-shot with NYU/Penn, but knowing I have at least a decent undergrad degree. (3.2 + 178 LSAT very slim chance, but possible.)

(I haven’t taken the LSAT yet, only practice tests, and I am averaging 175-180 range. I am confident however that I will do well on the test.)

Thanks for any help.

paratactical

Re: LF Advice. Possibility of raising GPA with costs.

Postby paratactical » Wed May 11, 2011 5:57 pm

1) This is the wrong forum. Hopefully a mod will move it for you.

2) Are you listing your LSAC GPA or your UG GPA in your post? Just wanted to make sure you know they're not the same, so this might be an even less valuable idea than you think. The GPA law schools use is not the GPA your UG reports, it is one calculated by LSAC.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4823316_calcula ... sions.html

Johnathanrs

Postby Johnathanrs » Wed May 11, 2011 6:02 pm

Ah thanks, that pretty much summed it up for me. It doesn't honor academic forgiveness, so I am forever haunted with those freshman C's I got. Oh well, it seems that is settled. Thanks, my questions have been answered.

One note: That does raise a question based on the article. It clearly states for the scales they list, but what if your community college went by a basic scale of (4.0 = A 3.0 = B and doesn't hold that distinction?)

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed May 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Johnathanrs wrote:Ah thanks, that pretty much summed it up for me. It doesn't honor academic forgiveness, so I am forever haunted with those freshman C's I got. Oh well, it seems that is settled. Thanks, my questions have been answered.

One note: That does raise a question based on the article. It clearly states for the scales they list, but what if your community college went by a basic scale of (4.0 = A 3.0 = B and doesn't hold that distinction?)

LSAC really doesn't care what your college used. If it says A+ on the transcript, it equals 4.33; if it says A it equals 4.0, even if it says 99% next to the A.

Return to “Law School FAQ”