Big Law Partners and Law School Ranking Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
AlanShoreDisciple

New

Big Law Partners and Law School Ranking

Post by AlanShoreDisciple » Wed May 11, 2011 2:18 am

I was wondering if there is any correlation between where an individual attended law school, and making partner in big law.

dissonance1848

Silver

Re: Big Law Partners and Law School Ranking

Post by dissonance1848 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:32 am

Are you kidding? Of course. Poor flame.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed May 11, 2011 2:45 am

AlanShoreDisciple wrote:I was wondering if there is any correlation between where an individual attended law school, and making partner in big law.
0L disclosure, but from what i've researched, i've gathered the impression that making partner is more about your work product, meeting certain levels of billable hours, and possibly how much business you bring to the firm. The law school you attend is important in getting you a job as an associate, but it's not going to make a significant impact on getting you promoted to partner.
Last edited by Knock on Wed May 11, 2011 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:46 am

Knock wrote:
AlanShoreDisciple wrote:I was wondering if there is any correlation between where an individual attended law school, and making partner in big law.
0L disclosure, but from what i've researched, i've gathered the impression that making partner is more about your work product, meeting certain levels of billable hours, and possibly how much business you bring to the firm. The law school you attend is more important in getting you a job as an associate, but it's not going to make a significant impact on getting you promoted to partner.
I'm under the impression that the bolded is the #1 factor re whether one makes partner.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:41 pm

Really? No one ITT reads ATL? Here's a recent story on school rankings by biglaw partners. --LinkRemoved--

Just keep in mind that correlation is not causation, self-selection may be a significant factor, and the school that is best for you may not correlate with these rankings.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Samara wrote:Really? No one ITT reads ATL? Here's a recent story on school rankings by biglaw partners. --LinkRemoved--

Just keep in mind that correlation is not causation, self-selection may be a significant factor, and the school that is best for you may not correlate with these rankings.
Maybe if you had let them borrow your DeLorean before they posted in this thread, McFly.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Samara wrote:Really? No one ITT reads ATL? Here's a recent story on school rankings by biglaw partners. --LinkRemoved--

Exactly. T-14 is more likely to get you into the door for a big law firm. Therefore, those schools will have the most graduates who are partners.

T-14 gets you in the door. It's up for you to earn your keep. Hence it is not uncommon to hear of someone from a non T-14 school making partner simply because they are a rain maker and bring in / bill work like mad.

I'll spoil the ending. Clients don't care where you graduate from- only your work product. Firms are the same way once you become an associate.

mommamia

New

Post by mommamia » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Looking at the article, I feel it is written to promote Loyola, L.A, where the author of the study works (TaxProfBlog). Propaganda

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:48 pm

There are a few problems with this study (I am sure there are more but this is what comes to mind):

- it favors big classes because class size is not factored in (is it really that surprising that Georgetown is #2 author?)
- it does not measure the ability to attain partner from a school, simply which school has produced the most partners
- it reports that number of BigLaw partners at one time, not the number of people from different schools who have, at one point, attained partnership over the last X years

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:51 pm

stratocophic wrote:

Maybe if you had let them borrow your DeLorean before they posted in this thread, McFly.
Haha, touche, I didn't realize this was a necroed thread.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:36 pm

- it favors big classes because class size is not factored in (is it really that surprising that Georgetown is #2 author?)
If you trust the math of the comment posters, Georgetown is #3 per capita:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/law-scho ... s#comments

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:41 pm

nealric wrote:
If you trust the math of the comment posters, Georgetown is #3 per capita:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/law-scho ... s#comments
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=162542

Wonder whose math is better....

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:56 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=162542

Wonder whose math is better....
To do it right, you would also need historic class size data.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”