So why are you going to law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
krasivaya

Bronze

So why are you going to law school?

Post by krasivaya » Mon May 09, 2011 12:09 am

Serious question.

What motivated you? What do you want to do post-grad?

I like TLSers, I'm curious to know what brought you all to the same conclusion.

TheFactor

Silver

Re: So why are you going to law school?

Post by TheFactor » Mon May 09, 2011 12:46 am

This a really new and original thread topic. Thanks!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon May 09, 2011 12:50 am

Uh....I'm not smart enough to be a doctor.

krasivaya

Bronze

Post by krasivaya » Mon May 09, 2011 1:00 am

TheFactor wrote:This a really new and original thread topic. Thanks!
New members, new answers.

Plus, couldn't find anything with the search function.

@yngblkgifted: I'd take 80 hours behind a desk over 80 hours with sick/crazy people any day.

amers73

Bronze

Post by amers73 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:10 am

Because my parents did?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Mon May 09, 2011 1:17 am

Yeah...this is an old topic.
I got burned out on working for the "man" on Wall Street.
I decided a law degree might be slightly more honest and a bit more prestigious but still allow me the latitude to return to my roots in corporate servitude.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon May 09, 2011 1:35 am

3 more years of partying

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon May 09, 2011 1:36 am

An unoriginal answer for an unoriginal thread

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon May 09, 2011 1:43 am

rad law wrote:An unoriginal answer for an unoriginal thread

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

These aren't just reasons why I am going to law school, they are reasons why I exist.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:48 am

krasivaya wrote: @yngblkgifted: I'd take 80 hours behind a desk over 80 hours with sick/crazy people any day.
Considering the disparity in income between the average doctor and the average lawyer, that would be economically stupid.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon May 09, 2011 1:50 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
krasivaya wrote: @yngblkgifted: I'd take 80 hours behind a desk over 80 hours with sick/crazy people any day.
Considering the disparity in income between the average doctor and the average lawyer, that would be economically stupid.

krasivaya

Bronze

Post by krasivaya » Mon May 09, 2011 2:33 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Lawyer Stress seems way easier to deal with than doctor stress.

I know a lot of doctors, the stories they tell me about what they see on a daily basis are horrible. They make a lot of money, but I wouldn't do what they do.

Then again, they're surgeons and neuropsychologists. Being a dermatologist or something would be different.

Also, TLS I am disappoint.

You tell people to think about why they really want to go to law school and yet all you can give are troll answers when asked the same question :(

Topic may be redundant, but help a misguided and soon-to-be graduating 0L try to figure out if law school is right for her will ya? Or link to threads that will.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 09, 2011 2:38 am

I'm going to law school because I want to become a lawyer. I want to become a lawyer because I think I'll be good at it and will be able to bear spending the rest of my working life in the profession.
krasivaya wrote:Being a dermatologist or something would be different.
Being a dermatologist might well be the most disgusting choice for a doctor, in terms of what you'll be exposed to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Mon May 09, 2011 7:33 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Being a dermatologist might well be the most disgusting choice for a doctor, in terms of what you'll be exposed to.
I'll take OB/GYN ftw.

Kimchi_smile

New

Post by Kimchi_smile » Mon May 09, 2011 8:08 am

krasivaya wrote:
@yngblkgifted: I'd take 80 hours behind a desk over 80 hours with sick/crazy people any day.
Before that, you would need to survive 110+ hours of residency.

Kimchi_smile

New

Post by Kimchi_smile » Mon May 09, 2011 8:10 am

Bildungsroman wrote: Being a dermatologist might well be the most disgusting choice for a doctor, in terms of what you'll be exposed to.
Next to that is dentists. Ugh...

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Mon May 09, 2011 8:34 am

I'm going to law school to pursue a new career path. I have spent 12 years selling enabling technology to biotech and pharma companies. This was fulfilling financially and intellectually and I enjoyed negotiating and closing multi-million dollar deals; however, I did not 100% enjoy the day to day sales duties required. I want to go into patent litigation because I like and understand technology. I want to be involved in big tech deals, but not on the sales front anymore. I am excited at the prospect of going back to school. I enjoy studying and learning.

I think OP and others for that matter should be certain that 'I want to make money' is not the driving force behind a decision to become a lawyer. I was in a career where I made plenty of money (more than I'm apt to make for years to come even in big law), but I am moving on from that experience to follow a new path because I want to like what I do day to day. That will be the number one factor affecting whether you are happy with your choice to be a lawyer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon May 09, 2011 9:42 am

skw wrote: I think OP and others for that matter should be certain that 'I want to make money' is not the driving force behind a decision to become a lawyer. I was in a career where I made plenty of money (more than I'm apt to make for years to come even in big law), but I am moving on from that experience to follow a new path because I want to like what I do day to day. That will be the number one factor affecting whether you are happy with your choice to be a lawyer.
This. I could have written this. I, too, am going to law school to change careers - or more accurately, to expand a specific aspect of my current job into a new career. Only difference is that I love my current job, but I've been in it for a long time and really want new challenges and opportunities. I've wanted to go to law school for many years; this was the right time for me to do so.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Mon May 09, 2011 9:49 am

TheFactor wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Being a dermatologist might well be the most disgusting choice for a doctor, in terms of what you'll be exposed to.
I'll take OB/GYN ftw.
Seriously? Think of all the diseased vaginas you would be looking at. Yeast infections, STDs, child birth...OBGYN would definitely be the most disgusting MD position.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon May 09, 2011 11:14 am

NCtoDC wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
I'll take OB/GYN ftw.
Seriously? Think of all the diseased vaginas you would be looking at. Yeast infections, STDs, child birth...OBGYN would definitely be the most disgusting MD position.
Nah, the shit that happens on people's skin is nasty, and it has a far greater sense of immediacy than other medical specialties because the problems are visible, palpable, and infect an area already open to societal scrutiny; something that would look gross if it happened to an internal organ looks absolutely unbearable on your skin.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Mon May 09, 2011 5:07 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
I'll take OB/GYN ftw.
It's funny that you listed child birth next to yeast infections and STDs :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Mon May 09, 2011 5:10 pm

Started my MSW and worked as a victim advocate but realized that I wanted to be the one in the court room prosecuting the cases.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Mon May 09, 2011 5:16 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
I'll take OB/GYN ftw.
My interpretation of his post was that he meant OB/GYN is the most disgusting thing to specialize in, so he'd agree with you.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Mon May 09, 2011 5:48 pm

cubswin wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
I'll take OB/GYN ftw.
My interpretation of his post was that he meant OB/GYN is the most disgusting thing to specialize in, so he'd agree with you.
this

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon May 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I'm going to law school because I want to become a lawyer. I want to become a lawyer because I think I'll be good at it and will be able to bear spending the rest of my working life in the profession.
krasivaya wrote:Being a dermatologist or something would be different.
Being a dermatologist might well be the most disgusting choice for a doctor, in terms of what you'll be exposed to.
+1 to both of these.

Also, have you seen some of the $#!^ people grow on their skin? It makes you never want to get close to another human being for any reason ever again.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”