Is American University worth sticker price? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
babyoll7304

New

Is American University worth sticker price?

Post by babyoll7304 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:48 pm

Because I applied late in the cycle, I got wait listed at schools that I should have gotten into. I was offered a spot off the wait list to go to American today, but declined (which stung!) because there is not merit-based scholarships available. Was this a mistake??

akili

Gold

Re: Is American University worth sticker price?

Post by akili » Tue May 03, 2011 6:49 pm

no.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Tue May 03, 2011 6:49 pm

In before no.

EDIT: nevermind :oops:
Last edited by TheFactor on Tue May 03, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:49 pm

American is not worth sticker. To put this into perspective, I don't think GULC is worth sticker.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14 am

Goodness no. I'm at a T6 and there's reasonable debate about whether it's worth sticker (in a vacuum I'd say it is, but I wish I applied to more schools in the 7-14 range to get some options).

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu May 05, 2011 9:34 am

Was Hitler a good person?

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Thu May 05, 2011 9:44 am

No.

No.

No.

Please God No.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Thu May 05, 2011 10:30 am

babyoll7304 wrote:Because I applied late in the cycle, I got wait listed at schools that I should have gotten into. I was offered a spot off the wait list to go to American today, but declined (which stung!) because there is not merit-based scholarships available. Was this a mistake??
it all depends on who you ask, most people will say yes, it is a fairly well known school with a good reputation, but for people who could do better such as many posters on this board, it is not. where are you waitlisted at? if you could get scholarhips or get into a better school, then not a mistake, otherwise, might've been

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu May 05, 2011 10:41 am

I didn't even think a T6 was worth full sticker price given the large scholarship offers I had from some other schools. So you can guess what I would think about American at sticker.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Thu May 05, 2011 10:44 am

Jah'rakal wrote:
babyoll7304 wrote:Because I applied late in the cycle, I got wait listed at schools that I should have gotten into. I was offered a spot off the wait list to go to American today, but declined (which stung!) because there is not merit-based scholarships available. Was this a mistake??
it all depends on who you ask, most people will say yes, it is a fairly well known school with a good reputation, but for people who could do better such as many posters on this board, it is not. where are you waitlisted at? if you could get scholarhips or get into a better school, then not a mistake, otherwise, might've been
Most people will say yes because they think any law school = $$$. I'll be attending a comparable school in terms of ranking in the fall, but would say it's a bad idea. Tuition is high, COL is high, and your market is one where you'll be behind T14, GW, W&M, W&L, and GMU.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu May 05, 2011 10:46 am

dpk711 wrote:American is not worth sticker. To put this into perspective, I don't think GULC is worth sticker.
I think GULC can be worth sticker in plenty of situations. American definitely isn't though.

Jah'rakal

Bronze

Post by Jah'rakal » Thu May 05, 2011 10:52 am

Bill Cosby wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
Most people will say yes because they think any law school = $$$. I'll be attending a comparable school in terms of ranking in the fall, but would say it's a bad idea. Tuition is high, COL is high, and your market is one where you'll be behind T14, GW, W&M, W&L, and GMU.
what's this school u r going to attend? schollies?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Thu May 05, 2011 11:24 am

Jah'rakal wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:
what's this school u r going to attend? schollies?
In fact, looking at it, the rank is the exact same in the latest USNWR (#50). Florida State. I have a scholarship that means I'll end up effectively end up paying in-state tuition (which is half of the tuition at American), have a lower COL, and really only have strong competition in terms of employment from T14ers who want to head to Florida and, of course, UF.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu May 05, 2011 11:31 am

Jah'rakal wrote:
no

edit: to elaborate, given the OP has given no career aspirations or choice of locale, American is definitely not worth sticker. TLSers are just better informed and more risk averse (this synergizes well with being better informed) so generally American at sticker would be a mistake.
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Thu May 05, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu May 05, 2011 11:33 am

You guys are such elitists. Also, no.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu May 05, 2011 11:35 am

akili wrote:no.
YourCaptain wrote:No.

No.

No.

Please God No.
duckmoney wrote:Was Hitler a good person?
DoubleChecks wrote:
no
Curry wrote:You guys are such elitists. Also, no.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
dpk711 wrote:American is not worth sticker. To put this into perspective, I don't think GULC is worth sticker.
I think GULC can be worth sticker in plenty of situations. American definitely isn't though.
Like in which situation? Other than their LRAP I don't see any other situation.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Absolutely not

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Thu May 05, 2011 7:16 pm

Will you by any chance attend American part time while working? If so, then yes. If not, then no.

dpk711 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
You answer you own question.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu May 05, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm pissed I decided to take T6 with only a 25 buck scholarship. Hell no American isn't worth it. Get a CPA or something if you're just looking to get a job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu May 05, 2011 11:58 pm

dpk711 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
Between biglaw, pi and A3 clerkships 65-70% of the class probably aren't going to be completely debt pwned. I would personally rather have a COA of 200k at GULC than a COA of 100k-120k at a t19-50 school where a much lower % of the class has those options. It's not going to work out for everybody, but I think those are decent odds. Now if your philosophy is HYS sticker, t10 scholly or you are going to pursue something else instead (engineering, accounting, RN, etc.) I can buy that.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:47 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
Between biglaw, pi and A3 clerkships 65-70% of the class probably aren't going to be completely debt pwned. I would personally rather have a COA of 200k at GULC than a COA of 100k-120k at a t19-50 school where a much lower % of the class has those options. It's not going to work out for everybody, but I think those are decent odds. Now if your philosophy is HYS sticker, t10 scholly or you are going to pursue something else instead (engineering, accounting, RN, etc.) I can buy that.
I definitely think that number is optimistic

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 10:55 am

Yeah more like 45%-40%. 40% Biglaw + 15% Article3/Gov/Pi? Even this might be generous.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Fri May 06, 2011 11:16 am

Patriot1208 wrote:I definitely think that number is optimistic
Probably so. For some reason I was thinking they put 10% into A3 as opposed to the 5% they actually do. I think 60% for C/O 2014 is probably a semi reasonable estimation though. 40-45% biglaw, 15-20% a3 and PI.

There's is also the ability to mitigate your risk by dropping out if you bomb the first semester.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”