Visiting student?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
alexanderhamilton

Visiting student?

Postby alexanderhamilton » Sun May 01, 2011 6:15 pm

What is the purpose of the visiting student program that some law schools offer? Is there any advantage to it? It actually seems more troublesome to be away from your home-market for a semester.

JamMasterJ

Re: Visiting student?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun May 01, 2011 7:08 pm

If there's an awesome prof/class/clinic you want to experience, or that isn't offered by your school, it's a way of doing this while graduating from the school you actually go to.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Mon May 02, 2011 3:30 pm

some people visit schools for a semester or two:
significant others
family
change of scenery
a certain course/professor/clinic offered
explore a different legal market
maybe the visiting school is where you went to UG
or you could be trying to get away if your current school is the same school you went to for UG
and so on

rvill7

Postby rvill7 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi I just got accepted to complete my last year as a visiting student. I have some family reasons, but I also realized that I want to practice near home in CA, so for me this was a very important decision. Plus, no more snow in my winters!!

alexanderhamilton

Postby alexanderhamilton » Tue May 03, 2011 8:09 pm

rvill7 wrote:Hi I just got accepted to complete my last year as a visiting student. I have some family reasons, but I also realized that I want to practice near home in CA, so for me this was a very important decision. Plus, no more snow in my winters!!

Are you not at a disadvantage in the California market since your JD will be from your home institution regardless of if you visit at a California school?

rvill7

Postby rvill7 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:55 pm

I don't think so, ultimately passing the bar and establishing a good network is really what matters.

Return to “Law School FAQ”