Is it even worth it now? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
swc65

Silver

Re: Is it even worth it now?

Post by swc65 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Bartlebee06 wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
ahduth wrote: Well... the reasons why the US went to war against the Confederacy is open to debate. I don't think it was an aching liberal need to free the slaves however.
Lincoln didn't even give two shits about the slaves
Wrong. Slavery was rampant durring his time and this was so throughout the world. It bothered him though. He was raised to think of slaves as less than human but he knew this was wrong.

1855: AL wrote to Joshua Speed, a slave-owning friend.“I confess I hate to see the poor creatures hunted down, and caught, and carried back to their stripes, and unrewarded toils; but I bite my lip and keep quiet… In 1841 you and I had together a tedious low-water trip, on a Steam Boat from Louisville to St. Louis. You may remember, as I well do, that from Louisville to the mouth of the Ohio there were, on board, ten or a dozen slaves, shackled together with irons. That sight was a continual torment to me; and I see something like it every time I touch the Ohio (River), or any other slave-border.It is hardly fair for you to assume, that I have no interest in a thing which has, and continually exercises, the power of making me miserable.”(Lincoln, 1953, v2, p 320)
True Lincoln did not like slavery. But, he was not at all accepting of blacks in any sense. see, attempts at colonization, emigration bureau, Il a Vache, etc. he was certainly no bleeding heart liberal with respect to racial diversity/equality.

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:04 pm

ahduth wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote:A living breathing document. Well that my friend means it can one day die. Its the same reason for certain unalienable rights endowed by god. If your rights are given to you by the government instead of your god (whoever that may be) then the govt. can take them away.
If everything is open for interpretation then lets just have true democracy which equals mob-rule.
Sorry dude, I have to take exception to that. If you and your crazies don't have room for my atheism, sorry. We're going to shove government run medicine down your throat and you're going to enjoy it.
Its ok to be Atheist according to the constitution. In the case of your unalienable rights we will say for the sake of argument that you are your own god.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun May 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Bartlebee06 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote:A living breathing document. Well that my friend means it can one day die. Its the same reason for certain unalienable rights endowed by god. If your rights are given to you by the government instead of your god (whoever that may be) then the govt. can take them away.
If everything is open for interpretation then lets just have true democracy which equals mob-rule.
Sorry dude, I have to take exception to that. If you and your crazies don't have room for my atheism, sorry. We're going to shove government run medicine down your throat and you're going to enjoy it.
Its ok to be Atheist according to the constitution. In the case of your unalienable rights we will say for the sake of argument that you are your own god.
I'd rather not have you arguing for me. I'll handle it myself, thanks.

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:07 pm

swc65 wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
ahduth wrote: Well... the reasons why the US went to war against the Confederacy is open to debate. I don't think it was an aching liberal need to free the slaves however.
Lincoln didn't even give two shits about the slaves
Wrong. Slavery was rampant durring his time and this was so throughout the world. It bothered him though. He was raised to think of slaves as less than human but he knew this was wrong.

1855: AL wrote to Joshua Speed, a slave-owning friend.“I confess I hate to see the poor creatures hunted down, and caught, and carried back to their stripes, and unrewarded toils; but I bite my lip and keep quiet… In 1841 you and I had together a tedious low-water trip, on a Steam Boat from Louisville to St. Louis. You may remember, as I well do, that from Louisville to the mouth of the Ohio there were, on board, ten or a dozen slaves, shackled together with irons. That sight was a continual torment to me; and I see something like it every time I touch the Ohio (River), or any other slave-border.It is hardly fair for you to assume, that I have no interest in a thing which has, and continually exercises, the power of making me miserable.”(Lincoln, 1953, v2, p 320)
True Lincoln did not like slavery. But, he was not at all accepting of blacks in any sense. see, attempts at colonization, emigration bureau, Il a Vache, etc. he was certainly no bleeding heart liberal with respect to racial diversity/equality.
Agreed. The world has an ugly past when it comes to slavery. And invasions. And ..............................................

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:09 pm

ahduth wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
I'd rather not have you arguing for me. I'll handle it myself, thanks.
Not sure if that means you agree or disagree.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Back to OP. Its totally worth it!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun May 01, 2011 8:18 pm

This thread has gotten considerably better from that old doctors/AMA debate. Please continue.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Sun May 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Sorry I went to get pizza. Is papa johns worth it? Or Dominos or bust?

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:30 pm

aliarrow wrote:Sorry I went to get pizza. Is papa johns worth it? Or Dominos or bust?
I always say.

Pappa John's or Retake(the order that is)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:19 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:
aliarrow wrote:Sorry I went to get pizza. Is papa johns worth it? Or Dominos or bust?
I always say.

Pappa John's or Retake(the order that is)
No way either of these are T14

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun May 01, 2011 9:48 pm

T14 = Your local favorite pizza places, Round Table
Phoenix = Papa Murphys
Cooley = Little Caesar

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Sun May 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Hannibal wrote:T14 = Your local favorite pizza places, Round Table
Phoenix = Papa Murphys
Cooley = Little Caesar in a kmart
HYS = Ray's Pizza

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Phoenix = Papa Murphys
Cooley = Little Caesar
If only Cooley ran you $4.99 for a JD

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:49 pm

Phoenix = Papa Murphys
Cooley = Little Caesar

Round Table is awesome. Havnt had it in years but I like the white.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:56 am

how do you get into harvard if you're a bad student?

wtf obama.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:57 am

dkt4 wrote:how do you get into harvard if you're a bad student?

wtf obama.
:?:

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Mon May 02, 2011 1:58 am

dkt4 wrote:how do you get into harvard if you're a bad student?

wtf obama.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Mon May 02, 2011 2:17 am

Bartlebee06 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
There doesn't have to be some created god. Right-wing wackos have a terribly difficult time wrapping their arms around this concept.

Bartlebee06

Bronze

Post by Bartlebee06 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:48 am

Ty Webb wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
There doesn't have to be some created god. Right-wing wackos have a terribly difficult time wrapping their arms around this concept.

Again, if you do not receive your rights from your creator, then you must have been granted those basic rights by man. The problem is that if man can grant you those rights, he can also take them away. No one is asking you to worship their god. Just beware of the elimination of god as it leaves only mankind as the end all and say all. I don't care if you are Atheist, Muslim, Buddhist, Satanist, or you worship the flying spaghetti monster. Personal beliefs are part of your rights.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 am

Bartlebee06 wrote: Again, if you do not receive your rights from your creator, then you must have been granted those basic rights by man. The problem is that if man can grant you those rights, he can also take them away. No one is asking you to worship their god. Just beware of the elimination of god as it leaves only mankind as the end all and say all. I don't care if you are Atheist, Muslim, Buddhist, Satanist, or you worship the flying spaghetti monster. Personal beliefs are part of your rights.
babyhandjerb.jpg

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:32 pm

Bartlebee06 wrote:Again, if you do not receive your rights from your creator, then you must have been granted those basic rights by man. The problem is that if man can grant you those rights, he can also take them away. No one is asking you to worship their god. Just beware of the elimination of god as it leaves only mankind as the end all and say all. I don't care if you are Atheist, Muslim, Buddhist, Satanist, or you worship the flying spaghetti monster. Personal beliefs are part of your rights.
Read about the first 3 pages. You should really change your avatar to something other than that dog. Whenever I read your posts, I picture the dog speaking them, making it almost impossible to take them seriously. But maybe its just finals week sleep deprivation getting to me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon May 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote: What turns you off with Bachmann. Seriously Im curious and maybe not well enough informed.
Let's see.
  • She was against the student loan bill in 2007 that created PSLF.

What's wrong with being against PSLF? I think it is stupid and pretty arbitrary that someone who works for the government can get their loans forgiven with substantially better terms than someone working in the private sector.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon May 02, 2011 2:17 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:What's wrong with being against PSLF? I think it is stupid and pretty arbitrary that someone who works for the government can get their loans forgiven with substantially better terms than someone working in the private sector

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Because serving your country, often by taking a much lower salary than you otherwise would receive in the private sector, is "stupid" and "arbitrary" in comparison to other forms of public service. It's not like you're doing anyone a service by prosecuting crime and attempting to protect the public from malfeasance. Hell why do we even need government groups like the SEC and the Justice Department? Corporations, bankers, and CEO's are very benevolent groups that don't need any oversight; they overwhelmingly make decisions with the benefit of the American public in mind.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Mon May 02, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Mon May 02, 2011 2:17 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote: What turns you off with Bachmann. Seriously Im curious and maybe not well enough informed.
Let's see.

What's wrong with being against PSLF? I think it is stupid and pretty arbitrary that someone who works for the government can get their loans forgiven with substantially better terms than someone working in the private sector.
Wait...
does PSLF = Private Sector or Public Sector loan forgiveness?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon May 02, 2011 2:20 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Let's see.

Wait...
does PSLF = Private Sector or Public Sector loan forgiveness?
Lol public.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”