Schools asking you to apply

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Roxybsr
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:38 pm

Schools asking you to apply

Postby Roxybsr » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:02 pm

The email could just be general 'mass email' to prospective law students but if a school sends you an email asking you to apply and they have rolling admission does this indicate that you have a great chance of being accepted or is this just a way to build up their status? The school I'm referring to is a Tier 2 school and there are people on their waiting list.

Thanks for any info!

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:13 pm

Schools asking you to apply....

Generally want your money.

But seriously, I wouldn't put so much stock in an invitation to apply unless it is carefully tailored. For example, a certain school asked me to apply and claimed that it needed someone from Mississippi. However, I am also URM and the school is notorious for not having URMs. By notorious, I mean that at any given moment it may have none in the whole school. Either way, it was more tailored than "hey we know your name and like your numbers, thus you should apply (so that we can reject you and look more selective)."

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:21 pm

It might be of help to others if you named the schools.

socraticmethodman
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby socraticmethodman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Schools asking you to apply....

Generally want your money.


But seriously, I wouldn't put so much stock in an invitation to apply unless it is carefully tailored. For example, a certain school asked me to apply and claimed that it needed someone from Mississippi. However, I am also URM and the school is notorious for not having URMs. By notorious, I mean that at any given moment it may have none in the whole school. Either way, it was more tailored than "hey we know your name and like your numbers, thus you should apply (so that we can reject you and look more selective)."


+1

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Usually they are schools that will reject you because of a full class or low numbers, or really lowly schools that are taking a shot in the dark way outside their range

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:32 pm

Some schools--such as John Marshall in Atlanta--send out invitations to apply with expected scholarship awards based on the student's LSAT score. They probably just need more students and/or want to raise their medians.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:34 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Schools asking you to apply....

Generally want your money.

But seriously, I wouldn't put so much stock in an invitation to apply unless it is carefully tailored.
For example, a certain school asked me to apply and claimed that it needed someone from Mississippi. However, I am also URM and the school is notorious for not having URMs. By notorious, I mean that at any given moment it may have none in the whole school. Either way, it was more tailored than "hey we know your name and like your numbers, thus you should apply (so that we can reject you and look more selective)."


+1

All it really means is that you have a number somewhere near their medians and have a shot of getting in.

alexanderhamilton
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby alexanderhamilton » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:11 pm

.
Last edited by alexanderhamilton on Mon May 09, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:05 pm

alexanderhamilton wrote:I keep getting emails from Regent and Akron telling me they've extended their deadline and that an application would be processed within a week and what a fantastic opportunity this is! :roll:

Do these types of schools have trouble filling their classes?



I would guess that they are trying to up the number of people who apply so they can turn them down. This ups their selectivity, giving them a boost with US News.

User avatar
almightypush
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby almightypush » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:16 pm

protip: if a school is still asking you to apply AT THE END OF APRIL (McGeorge, i'm looking at you), don't; it cannot end well.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:43 pm

Many law schools extended their application deadlines this year--including some that are very highly ranked. Oddly, some law schools (Colorado, for example) saw a surge in applications in this down year.

Stetson extended their deadline to July first. Duke & Yale had significant drops in the number of applications received.

alexanderhamilton
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby alexanderhamilton » Sun May 01, 2011 4:17 pm

.
Last edited by alexanderhamilton on Mon May 09, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:30 pm

Isn't regent the school that will have a decision within like 5 days no matter when you apply? I remember them sharing that with me two cycles ago.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13912
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:31 pm

almightypush wrote:McGeorge, i'm looking at you


I'm getting DAILY emails from McGeorge, which couldn't get me to matriculate if they gave me a pet unicorn and $90K/year stipend. How can they possibly think this makes them look good?

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby tooswolle » Sun May 01, 2011 4:39 pm

I've gotten a few solicitation emails. It seems to me that some schools may not have gotten the kind of applicants they wanted so they're emailing people to apply and extending their deadline. For example I got an email to apply to a highly ranked t1 and t2 which is weird. The cynic in me just thinks it's to boost selectivity since their class is probably full and there are waitlists.
Last edited by tooswolle on Sun May 01, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2820
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby haus » Sun May 01, 2011 4:42 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
almightypush wrote:McGeorge, i'm looking at you


I'm getting DAILY emails from McGeorge, which couldn't get me to matriculate if they gave me a pet unicorn and $90K/year stipend. How can they possibly think this makes them look good?



...well, a pet unicorn would be pretty cool.

alexanderhamilton
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby alexanderhamilton » Fri May 06, 2011 3:08 am

.
Last edited by alexanderhamilton on Mon May 09, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
VinceIrons
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby VinceIrons » Fri May 06, 2011 12:25 pm

I planned to take a year off between undergrad and law school, got some late second semester fee waiver applications from a few of the lower ranked tier 1 schools, said fuck it, applied, got in with nice scholarships, and now I can't wait to transfer. In all honesty I probably should have taken that year off and gone to a better school to start. Though now I do stand a chance to get in to a much better school than I ever could have with my undergrad GPA...

tl;dr, I have heard of some places sending fee waivers simply so you apply and they reject to make themselves look better. On the other hand, they could be trying to head-hunt students who score well outside their average numbers. Over all though, you're probably much better off going to the best school you can get in to. Fee waivers and feeling wanted is nice, but not really worth it imo.

User avatar
YaSvoboden
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby YaSvoboden » Sun May 08, 2011 4:35 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
almightypush wrote:McGeorge, i'm looking at you


I'm getting DAILY emails from McGeorge, which couldn't get me to matriculate if they gave me a pet unicorn and $90K/year stipend. How can they possibly think this makes them look good?


Hell, I keep getting emails from McGeorge and I haven't even taken the LSAT or submitted transcripts. I talked to someone from there at a meet the deans night or something like that and gave them my info before I started looking into rankings, job prospects and the likes.

But really, a pet unicorn. I am pretty sure that they are immortal, so you would have a ride for life, not to mention the protection from evil. Sounds worth it to me, but I've never been to Sacramento.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby Grizz » Sun May 08, 2011 10:20 am

VinceIrons wrote:I planned to take a year off between undergrad and law school, got some late second semester fee waiver applications from a few of the lower ranked tier 1 schools, said fuck it, applied, got in with nice scholarships, and now I can't wait to transfer. In all honesty I probably should have taken that year off and gone to a better school to start. Though now I do stand a chance to get in to a much better school than I ever could have with my undergrad GPA...

tl;dr, I have heard of some places sending fee waivers simply so you apply and they reject to make themselves look better. On the other hand, they could be trying to head-hunt students who score well outside their average numbers. Over all though, you're probably much better off going to the best school you can get in to. Fee waivers and feeling wanted is nice, but not really worth it imo.


Bad use of tl;dr

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby arvcondor » Mon May 09, 2011 6:09 am

rad law wrote:
VinceIrons wrote:I planned to take a year off between undergrad and law school, got some late second semester fee waiver applications from a few of the lower ranked tier 1 schools, said fuck it, applied, got in with nice scholarships, and now I can't wait to transfer. In all honesty I probably should have taken that year off and gone to a better school to start. Though now I do stand a chance to get in to a much better school than I ever could have with my undergrad GPA...

tl;dr, I have heard of some places sending fee waivers simply so you apply and they reject to make themselves look better. On the other hand, they could be trying to head-hunt students who score well outside their average numbers. Over all though, you're probably much better off going to the best school you can get in to. Fee waivers and feeling wanted is nice, but not really worth it imo.


Bad use of tl;dr

Was wondering if anyone else caught that.

I eventually had to unsubscribe from Regent's mailing list because of the deluge.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby niederbomb » Mon May 16, 2011 12:32 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Schools asking you to apply.... Generally want your money.

But seriously, I wouldn't put so much stock in an invitation to apply unless it is carefully tailored. For example, a certain school asked me to apply and claimed that it needed someone from Mississippi. However, I am also URM and the school is notorious for not having URMs. By notorious, I mean that at any given moment it may have none in the whole school. Either way, it was more tailored than "hey we know your name and like your numbers, thus you should apply (so that we can reject you and look more selective)."

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7161
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon May 16, 2011 11:32 pm

haus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
almightypush wrote:McGeorge, i'm looking at you


I'm getting DAILY emails from McGeorge, which couldn't get me to matriculate if they gave me a pet unicorn and $90K/year stipend. How can they possibly think this makes them look good?



...well, a pet unicorn would be pretty cool.


You could sell a pet unicorn for so much money that you could easily afford to pay sticker at any law school (and possibly retire. It's a UNICORN). St. Thomas e-mailed me today to say "we see you're signed up for the June LSAT. After you take it, there's still time to apply for fall 2011!" Can it be true? The school of my dreams?!

OP, they usually want your money.

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby Corwin » Tue May 17, 2011 10:44 pm

This sort of thing happens before undergrad as well. Generally schools that have to market themselves through email/post aren't worth looking at.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Schools asking you to apply

Postby niederbomb » Tue May 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Corwin wrote:This sort of thing happens before undergrad as well. Generally schools that have to market themselves through email/post aren't worth looking at.


Dunno. Got my share of UVA emails and brochures even before I had competitive stats. So this isn't necessarily the case.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawlessmd, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests