Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Its the gel man
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby Its the gel man » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:29 pm

That is, while getting licensed in the US as well. Does being boarded in both Europe and Florida, for example, have any advantages? Will employers look on this as a good thing? Is it worth the extra year of law school?

shoot.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby firemed » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Do you mean getting admitted to a bar in europe?

Cuz your only choice there will be england or ireland (or scotland, who has their own special bar).... though I suppose you could use that to work in the EU.... sort of. I mean, they have entirely different justice system over there.

And even if you do apply in the UK/Ireland, I don't think it is very easy. They would probably require an LLM or something similar.

It would be advantageous if you could do it, though, I would guess.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:45 pm

I saw a program like this at a school. I just couldn't think of a reason how that would help me professionally.

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby mrtoren » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Its the gel man wrote:That is, while getting licensed in the US as well. Does being boarded in both Europe and Florida, for example, have any advantages? Will employers look on this as a good thing? Is it worth the extra year of law school?

shoot.

What area of law are you interested in?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Seems like it would be a massive waste of time, effort, and money. If people have a French problem, they hire French lawyers. If their problem is in America, they'll get American lawyers. This is a huge waste.

Its the gel man
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby Its the gel man » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:04 am

I'm talking about taking the bar in a European country as well. And it is not a country that follows the case law system. I figure it can't hurt, but something tells me this could be a waste of time.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby Grizz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:17 am

Its the gel man wrote:I'm talking about taking the bar in a European country as well. And it is not a country that follows the case law system. I figure it can't hurt, but something tells me this could be a waste of time.


The reason it might hurt is because people will have no idea how to treat you when hiring.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:43 am

Its the gel man wrote:I'm talking about taking the bar in a European country as well. And it is not a country that follows the case law system. I figure it can't hurt, but something tells me this could be a waste of time.



If it isn't common law based... um, why would they even let you sit for the bar? Every common law system requires you to have been educated in it. I am surprised any civil law system wouldn't have the same requirements for their bar.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:46 am

rad law wrote:
Its the gel man wrote:I'm talking about taking the bar in a European country as well. And it is not a country that follows the case law system. I figure it can't hurt, but something tells me this could be a waste of time.


The reason it might hurt is because people will have no idea how to treat you when hiring.

I disagree. What about a firm that represents some French clients?

I've got to imagine that if you were house counsel for Ikea, for example, knowing Swedish law would be useful.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby Grizz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:48 am

flexityflex86 wrote:
rad law wrote:
Its the gel man wrote:I'm talking about taking the bar in a European country as well. And it is not a country that follows the case law system. I figure it can't hurt, but something tells me this could be a waste of time.


The reason it might hurt is because people will have no idea how to treat you when hiring.

I disagree. What about a firm that represents some French clients?

I've got to imagine that if you were house counsel for Ikea, for example, knowing Swedish law would be useful.


Image

Its the gel man
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby Its the gel man » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:53 am

There's a program at a law school where its half in a European country and half in the US. After 4 years, you can sit for the bar in both countries. Do it? why?

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby flexityflex86 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Its the gel man wrote:There's a program at a law school where its half in a European country and half in the US. After 4 years, you can sit for the bar in both countries. Do it? why?

might be a cool thing to say to a girl in a bar.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby Sandro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:06 pm

oh come on. COME ON !!

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby mrtoren » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Its the gel man wrote:There's a program at a law school where its half in a European country and half in the US. After 4 years, you can sit for the bar in both countries. Do it? why?

No. Waste of time and money.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby Sandro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 pm

OP - do you speak European ?

antonin
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby antonin » Mon May 02, 2011 8:57 pm

If you look at some of the big firms, they have American trained lawyers in places like London and even Asia. So not know in what capacity they work though. Probably, they cannot go to court, but maybe advice on international deals?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Advantages of getting licensed in Europe?

Postby Grizz » Mon May 02, 2011 9:01 pm

antonin wrote:If you look at some of the big firms, they have American trained lawyers in places like London and even Asia. So not know in what capacity they work though. Probably, they cannot go to court, but maybe advice on international deals?


That's what they do.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PrezRand and 2 guests