Phoenix School of Law (Good, Bad?)

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
walter.denham

Phoenix School of Law (Good, Bad?)

Postby walter.denham » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 pm

I am not a flamer, so please do not assume that I am just because I am about to ask your opinion about a Tier 4 law school. I am waiting to hear back from some law schools, but as of today I have been accepted to Phoenix School of Law.

I want some honest assessments/opinions about this law school. Behavior on this forum is generally deplorable when 4th Tier For-profit law schools are discussed and what I am looking for is constructive evaluation of the school. Unlike some of you out there, I have no reservations about what I believe a law school should or should not be. My elitism is non-existent and I would like an intelligent discussion that myself, and others reading this forum that may have the same questions can use in making a decision that ultimately affects our lives, not yours.

If you are merely going to reply to this post to bash me or PSL, please do so elsewhere.

-Regards

PinkCow

Re: Phoenix School of Law (Good, Bad?)

Postby PinkCow » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:32 pm

walter.denham wrote:I am not a flamer, so please do not assume that I am just because I am about to ask your opinion about a Tier 4 law school. I am waiting to hear back from some law schools, but as of today I have been accepted to Phoenix School of Law.

I want some honest assessments/opinions about this law school. Behavior on this forum is generally deplorable when 4th Tier For-profit law schools are discussed and what I am looking for is constructive evaluation of the school. Unlike some of you out there, I have no reservations about what I believe a law school should or should not be. My elitism is non-existent and I would like an intelligent discussion that myself, and others reading this forum that may have the same questions can use in making a decision that ultimately affects our lives, not yours.

If you are merely going to reply to this post to bash me or PSL, please do so elsewhere.

-Regards

Is your desire for a job non-existent as well? Seriously.

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:33 pm

walter.denham wrote:I am not a flamer, so please do not assume that I am just because I am about to ask your opinion about a Tier 4 law school. I am waiting to hear back from some law schools, but as of today I have been accepted to Phoenix School of Law.

-Regards

You should probably ask an actual question. Otherwise you will definitely hear some "honest assessments/opinions".

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:34 pm

Watch the documentary College, Inc (on Netflix). Then extrapolate to law schools. Then you'll see why the hate for for-profit law schools even more than other T4s.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:35 pm

You're probably trolling but I'll bite because there are people out there making this decision:

1. Take a look at the 2009 stats for the schools ranked 80-100 here (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681).

2. Realize that over 50% of these kids at the schools 80-100 are either unemployed or underemployed in relation to their debt level.

3. Realize that while PSoL isn't listed in that data, it in all likelihood has worse employment prospects than those schools ranked 80-100.

4. Realize that the economy is atrocious.

PSoL is bad bad bad. I wouldn't recommend it even for free with no scholarship stipulations since the majority of grads aren't able to find full time legal work.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:37 pm

Go if you have a burning desire to be an indentured servant to your federal loans for 25 years.

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:37 pm

Maybe you're interested in DentalLaw?

http://www.walterjdenhamdmd.com
Last edited by sambeber on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

esq

Postby esq » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:37 pm

walter.denham wrote:If you are merely going to reply to this post to bash me or PSL, please do so elsewhere.

No need to bash you, your post has taken care of that already.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:37 pm

sambeber wrote:Maybe you're interested in DentalLaw?

[url]walterjdenhamdmd.com/[/url]

Lol I googled him too. Wut wut wut

walter.denham

Postby walter.denham » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Is the consent of this forum to answer serious questions with unsupported responses? The fact of the matter is there are folks out there who seriously examine whether or not they should attend schools like PSL, and it is horribly disrespectful to flame them for it. I can appreciate substantiated responses that speak to a cost/benefit analysis of attending PSL vs. some other school. But it really becomes a waste of all of our time when you people Google me and make jest at my real question.

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:44 pm

walter.denham wrote:Is the consent of this forum to answer serious questions with unsupported responses? The fact of the matter is there are folks out there who seriously examine whether or not they should attend schools like PSL, and it is horribly disrespectful to flame them for it. I can appreciate substantiated responses that speak to a cost/benefit analysis of attending PSL vs. some other school. But it really becomes a waste of all of our time when you people Google me and make jest at my real question.

As I said originally, what is your real question? Please be clear about it. Is it whether it is worth attending at sticker based on a cost/benefit analysis?

If so, I think that was addressed above by bk1.

If it's something else, please ask away.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:46 pm

and the dental website shows the dental office is located in AZ.....hmm.

Anyway OP, you come off as extremely defensive about your school of choice, presumably because you know what people will say to you here. So, what did you want to hear from people who you have already decided will not agree with you? Realistically, PSOL is not a good choice but that's your decision. If you are in AZ try for ASU or U of A. Those schools will give you a better chance at legal employment in AZ.

If you're not from AZ, consider checking out your state school(s) for a lower-cost choice that could give you options in your area.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:51 pm

walter.denham wrote:Is the consent of this forum to answer serious questions with unsupported responses? The fact of the matter is there are folks out there who seriously examine whether or not they should attend schools like PSL, and it is horribly disrespectful to flame them for it. I can appreciate substantiated responses that speak to a cost/benefit analysis of attending PSL vs. some other school. But it really becomes a waste of all of our time when you people Google me and make jest at my real question.

Only reason we googled you was because you put your name out on a public forum brah. So here's a CBA:

Cost of Attendance: $62,000/yr for 3 years = $186,000. Add on interest and you're looking at easily over $200,000.
As bk1 said, your chances of getting a legal job from PSL are slim. Chances of getting a GOOD-PAYING job are even slimmer.

Dude just be a dentist.

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:52 pm

I have a friend who graduated from Phoenix School of Law last year. He has yet to find a job after 11 months of searching. He has decided to go back to his old job (in construction management) because he is not even getting call backs after interviews. He basically spent 60K (that was for living expenses since he had a full scholarship) to be in the same spot he was before he started.

A couple years ago, when he was in Law School, I would go visit him and he and his law school friends would take me out in Scottsdale on school nights. I would ask if they needed to study and they would make jokes about how easy law school was and how they were all at the top of the class. He is really regretting going now. Actually it has been hardest on his wife since she has been supporting him for the last 11 months. Last time we talked they were near getting separated over the whole situation.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:52 pm

I for one was 100% serious in my poast.

walter.denham

Postby walter.denham » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:53 pm

1. I want to know why PSL is so hated. Why should I be terrified to go there? If I do am I signing my death certificate?

2. Money: Give me a list of comparable schools that cost approx. the same but will somehow garner me a more successful career as a lawyer.

3. Its a new school, so it has a pretty short history, can somebody take an unbiased look at what the school has to offer and give me an analysis?

4. Why are Tier 4 schools hated so badly? And I don't have netflix so why are for-profits so bad?

Thats a start.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:55 pm

walter.denham wrote:1. I want to know why PSL is so hated. Why should I be terrified to go there? If I do am I signing my death certificate?

2. Money: Give me a list of comparable schools that cost approx. the same but will somehow garner me a more successful career as a lawyer.

3. Its a new school, so it has a pretty short history, can somebody take an unbiased look at what the school has to offer and give me an analysis?

4. Why are Tier 4 schools hated so badly? And I don't have netflix so why are for-profits so bad?

Thats a start.

University of Idaho. University of Alabama.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:56 pm

walter.denham wrote:1. I want to know why PSL is so hated. Why should I be terrified to go there? If I do am I signing my death certificate?

Thats a start.

1. Bad job prospects, and that's the only thing that matters.

2. None of them.

3. Bad job prospects, and that's the only thing that matters.

4. Bad job prospects, and that's the only thing that matters.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:57 pm

Thats a start.

1. Because the majority of grads end up either unemployed or underemployed.

2. What do you mean by "comparable schools that cost the same"? Most private T4 schools will cost a similar amount and offer just as poor job prospects. Most private T1 schools will cost a similar amount and offer much better job prospects.

3. PSoL offers nothing but a mountain of debt and nothing to show for it. Legal hiring is very prestige and connections based. PSoL does not offer any of those things.

4. They are hated so badly because they cost just the same as good schools yet offer much worse job prospects. If T4 schools were really cheap people would only be risking opportunity cost, but the fact is they cost just as much as the good schools which is absurd. For-profits are seen as bad because they tend to engage in very shady behavior.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:00 pm

--LinkRemoved--

LOL

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:00 pm

rad law wrote:--LinkRemoved--

LOL

LOLLLLLL

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:00 pm

Thats a start.

Gave you actual advice, as you asked. If you want to keep stirring the pot and prodding people who obviously do not have a great impression of your (possible) future school--

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:02 pm

rad law wrote:--LinkRemoved--

LOL

Pretty much this. Heck only half of their class has a job that requires passing the bar.

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:03 pm

1) Go to martindale.com.
2) search attorneys who attended "phoenix school of law"
3) see that you only get NINE results.
4)??????
5) don't attend PSoL.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:04 pm

bk1 wrote:

Thats a start.

1. Because the majority of grads end up either unemployed or underemployed.

2. What do you mean by "comparable schools that cost the same"? Most private T4 schools will cost a similar amount and offer just as poor job prospects. Most private T1 schools will cost a similar amount and offer much better job prospects.

3. PSoL offers nothing but a mountain of debt and nothing to show for it. Legal hiring is very prestige and connections based. PSoL does not offer any of those things.

4. They are hated so badly because they cost just the same as good schools yet offer much worse job prospects. If T4 schools were really cheap people would only be risking opportunity cost, but the fact is they cost just as much as the good schools which is absurd. For-profits are seen as bad because they tend to engage in very shady behavior.

Every time you refer to Phoenix I read P S.O.L. Appropriate I guess

Return to “Law School FAQ”