So what's the real measure of whether or not LS is for me?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
AlabamaIceman

So what's the real measure of whether or not LS is for me?

Postby AlabamaIceman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:18 am

I've read the article on this site, browsed various forum topics, and read blurbs in books. It seems that the majority of books and sterilized info on the subject tends to gloss over the details, while the anecdotal examples on this site either stem from persons who are not exactly like me, or already disillusioned with the idea of school.

I mean, let me be straight. I know law school is NOT your first three years of undergrad set on "repeat," and then waltz into a sweet gig with a trip-figure paycheck and hot babes. I know it's hell in the studying time vs. boozing it up department. I have a good friend and previous roommate who is a 1L at Vanderbilt Law, I can just ring him up and figure that much out.

But as for the personal aspect of "Is law the right choice for ME," I'm still more or less stumped. I don't shirk academic challenges, I have a 3.98 GPA here in the end of my Junior year, and I plan on writing an extensive thesis along with my normal coursework during my senior year, which would mean graduating with honors. I also will be competing on a competitive mock trial team next year as well. And I enjoy all this stuff, I really do. The Mock Trial is intellectually stimulating and entertaining for me, and I get stressed out over analysis and research-heavy papers like anyone, but I know I'm capable.

How any of this applies to law school, however, (if at all) is something that I haven't the foggiest about. I know the recommendation is to ask attorneys about their practice and what they do, but the only one I know personally is something of a nihilist and would tell you that the whole world sucks including law school and what follows, and based on the geographic area I'm from, there are no larger firms to ask someone at, much less someone I know, just the run-of-the-mill litigation and criminal representation smaller 2-5 person firms. Which I'm not sure would appeal to me over a BigLaw job.

So at this point I'm studying for the LSAT, and fantasizing about using law school as a lifestyle advancement and change (in the sense that I can move up in the world and maybe even go somewhere else warm and nice to live, like CA or the southwest). I feel like I'm capable of getting there and surviving, but I'm being told that I still havce the potential to be incredibly miserable. Do I have to be a glutton for punishment and actually ENJOY the idea of the crazy hours and work ethic abuse necessary for law school and the practice? Or is that even possible?

- Signed, The Kid Who Once Dreamed of Being a Movie Star and Enjoying His Job

romothesavior

Re: So what's the real measure of whether or not LS is for me?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 am

Law school, and the practice of law, can be very fun and interesting. Not all law students are miserable, and not all lawyers are miserable. I'd say most really do enjoy it. I think your best bet is to talk to some lawyers in your area, even if they aren't biglaw lawyers. Even the smaller firm people can offer you insight, and many of them worked for big firms or know people who did. Shoot them an email and ask to have coffee.

You have a great GPA, and the sky is the limit if you can get a great LSAT. It is good that you are considering all the pros and cons of working in the law, you are a huge step ahead of most people who just jump into it without giving it much thought. Of course, you have the potential to be miserable, and working as a lawyer is likely to require a lot of hours no matter what you do. But a lot of lawyers love the work, the hours, and the experience. Keep all of this in the back of your mind as you go forward, but don't let the fear of being unhappy paralyze your decision.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:14 am

There's kind of an inverse relationship between how good your LSAT is (needs to be) and how high your certainty/motivation is (needs to be). The better a school you can attend, the more options you'll have. The fewer options you have, the more certain you have to be. With a 3.98 GPA, a mid 170s LSAT will probably land you at least one of Harvard/Yale/Stanford and/or a full-ride at some very good schools. But you may have to work your ass off for months to get that mid-170s score, if you can get it. What I'm saying is, whether you're sure or not, work your ass off for the LSAT.

123xalady

Postby 123xalady » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:42 am

romothesavior wrote:Law school, and the practice of law, can be very fun and interesting. Not all law students are miserable, and not all lawyers are miserable. I'd say most really do enjoy it. I think your best bet is to talk to some lawyers in your area, even if they aren't biglaw lawyers. Even the smaller firm people can offer you insight, and many of them worked for big firms or know people who did. Shoot them an email and ask to have coffee.

You have a great GPA, and the sky is the limit if you can get a great LSAT. It is good that you are considering all the pros and cons of working in the law, you are a huge step ahead of most people who just jump into it without giving it much thought. Of course, you have the potential to be miserable, and working as a lawyer is likely to require a lot of hours no matter what you do. But a lot of lawyers love the work, the hours, and the experience. Keep all of this in the back of your mind as you go forward, but don't let the fear of being unhappy paralyze your decision.

hear, hear! well said.

Return to “Law School FAQ”