Withdraw - will it hurt?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Palavra

Withdraw - will it hurt?

Postby Palavra » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:02 pm

I have one W on my transcript. I basically chose to withdraw because my professor was an idiot. I have a 3.97 GPA (one B+ in my first semester and all straight A's after that). Haven't taken the LSAT yet. How significant is the W on my transcript and should I write an addendum and explain that my professor was an idiot?

Palavra

Knock

Re: Withdraw - will it hurt?

Postby Knock » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:03 pm

Palavra wrote:I have one W on my transcript. I basically chose to withdraw because my professor was an idiot. I have a 3.97 GPA (one B+ in my first semester and all straight A's after that). Haven't taken the LSAT yet. How significant is the W on my transcript and should I write an addendum and explain that my professor was an idiot?

Palavra

No, it won't hurt you, as long as it was just a withdrawal and not a withdrawal/fail: http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript ... zation.asp. It's not worth writing an addendum over a lone withdrawal.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:06 pm

Knock wrote:
Palavra wrote:I have one W on my transcript. I basically chose to withdraw because my professor was an idiot. I have a 3.97 GPA (one B+ in my first semester and all straight A's after that). Haven't taken the LSAT yet. How significant is the W on my transcript and should I write an addendum and explain that my professor was an idiot?

Palavra

No, it won't hurt you, as long as it was just a withdrawal and not a withdrawal/fail: http://www.lsac.org/policies/transcript ... zation.asp. It's not worth writing an addendum over a lone withdrawal.

/thread

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:06 pm

Usually one withdraw is not a big deal, though HYS might have a different opinion, and with a solid LSAT score, those are the schools you'll be looking at. I don't think that you need to write an addendum, but if you do, just clarify that you weren't failing the class or anything. Also, how late in the semester was the W?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:14 pm

No don't listen to these guys. You should definitely write a letter to deans calling your professor an idiot.

Palavra

Postby Palavra » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:16 pm

The withdrawal was quite early in the semester. I was sick and tired of listening to some guy who had no idea what he was talking about so I basically withdrew because I felt I was wasting my time. I had to retake the course one or two semester later because it is a core course for my major and got an A. So, I have one W and one A for the same course on my transcript. I'm definitely aiming at HYS, will they care a lot about the W you think?

JamMasterJ wrote:Usually one withdraw is not a big deal, though HYS might have a different opinion, and with a solid LSAT score, those are the schools you'll be looking at. I don't think that you need to write an addendum, but if you do, just clarify that you weren't failing the class or anything. Also, how late in the semester was the W?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Palavra wrote:The withdrawal was quite early in the semester. I was sick and tired of listening to some guy who had no idea what he was talking about so I basically withdrew because I felt I was wasting my time. I had to retake the course one or two semester later because it is a core course for my major and got an A. So, I have one W and one A for the same course on my transcript. I'm definitely aiming at HYS, will they care a lot about the W you think?

JamMasterJ wrote:Usually one withdraw is not a big deal, though HYS might have a different opinion, and with a solid LSAT score, those are the schools you'll be looking at. I don't think that you need to write an addendum, but if you do, just clarify that you weren't failing the class or anything. Also, how late in the semester was the W?

No.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:31 pm

It can. Definitely not as much as penetration, but you'll still want your gentleman caller to take it slow.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:24 am

I had a bunch of W's on my transcript. Don't wanna knock anyone up.

quixotical

Postby quixotical » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:No don't listen to these guys. You should definitely write a letter to deans calling your professor an idiot.

:D :D :D

OP: As long as your W's aren't regarded as F's by LSAC (which, from the sounds of it, they shouldn't be) then it would be ridiculous to write an addendum for one W. People withdraw from classes for many reasons, and it's not looked at as a negative (unless you have a pattern of W's or a low GPA, neither of which apply to you).

Palavra

Postby Palavra » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:44 am

Thanks! I'm not proud of my W but I just couldn't stand wasting my time in that ridiculous class.

quixotical wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:No don't listen to these guys. You should definitely write a letter to deans calling your professor an idiot.

:D :D :D

OP: As long as your W's aren't regarded as F's by LSAC (which, from the sounds of it, they shouldn't be) then it would be ridiculous to write an addendum for one W. People withdraw from classes for many reasons, and it's not looked at as a negative (unless you have a pattern of W's or a low GPA, neither of which apply to you).

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:46 am

Withdrawl always hurts.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:32 am

Are W's some huge deal at some schools? I could withdraw from a class up until late Oct at my undergrad. I did it once a semester. I'd take 5 classes and drop the one where I did the worst on the midterm. They wouldn't even put that shit on my transcript.

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Are W's some huge deal at some schools? I could withdraw from a class up until late Oct at my undergrad. I did it once a semester. I'd take 5 classes and drop the one where I did the worst on the midterm. They wouldn't even put that shit on my transcript.

I did the same thing although not quite every semester. I didn't think non-punitive Ws even showed up.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:31 pm

I really don't think they care. I had worse than a withdrawal and it didn't seem to hurt me at all.

Lingon

Postby Lingon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks, that helps. Did you get in to HLS?

acrossthelake wrote:I really don't think they care. I had worse than a withdrawal and it didn't seem to hurt me at all.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:58 pm

f7 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Withdrawl always hurts.

Not always.

nefarious facial trolling.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:59 pm

f7 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Withdrawl always hurts.

Not always.

I stand corrected.

Return to “Law School FAQ”