Retake LSAT 3rd time or T4?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
aclaw55

Retake LSAT 3rd time or T4?

Postby aclaw55 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Last edited by aclaw55 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckilaw

Re: Retake LSAT 3rd time or T4?

Postby buckilaw » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:49 pm

First off, don't be so glum, an 11 point improvement is nothing to sneer at. You also have a fairly realistic handle on your situation. That being said, most TLS posters strongly believe that anyone can score a 160 with sufficient time and prep. Moving your score will not be easy but you can do it. If you want to practice law retake so you can attend a local NY school with a scholarship.

Also, seriously ask yourself what you expect to get out of practicing law. Compare your expectations with the schools you are aiming for, CUNY and NYLS, and determine if going at all is actually worth it.

Good luck.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Okay, I am not one of the "RETAKE OR DON'T GO" disciples...but retake or don't go. :oops:

Honestly. My LSDAS GPA is lower than yours, and with a 164 I was able to break into the T1 with $. Both Florida Coastal and St. Thomas are pretty terrible schools, very, VERY solidly TTTT. You will not be able to make it back to NY with a degree from either of those schools and be able to get even a semi-respectable job.

Although it varies from school to school, a lot of school's will just take your highest LSAT score. If you're serious about going to school and making it back to NY, spend a year studying your booty off for the LSAT. Get serious about the test, make the commitment, and go for it. If you can't score in the mid-150s then, maybe you should reevaluate this decision (I hate to say that, I do, but it might be true). The only thing that going to either of those schools will do for you is score you some serious debt with little-to-no chance of paying it back in a timely fashion.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:32 pm

I also vote for you to retake. Schools like St. Thomas are the kind that will shackle you with so much debt and so few job prospects that it could literally ruin your life. I would have trouble recommending someone go there even with a full ride because the likelihood of ever getting a legal job is so low. There's no way anyone should ever pay a dime to attend.

Especially since you have a job, you have absolutely nothing to lose by retaking, and you have everything to gain. You seem understand how important this choice is and have the motivation to put yourself in the best position possible. Don't through away all of your hard work so far on some of the worst schools in the country. There are excellent study tips in the LSAT subforum that I highly recommend you try out. Spend a year studying and retake once you're really prepared. Taking a year (or two or three) off will not only give you time to bring your LSAT score up, but will also give you more distance from your GPA, which is admittedly not very good. If you can also save up some money to help defray the costs of school, even better.

I have to be honest, though, unless you can break 160, you're unlikely to get into any schools that will give you any reasonable chance at getting a legal job and paying off your debt. While scoring in the 150's would be an accomplishment, it won't be enough to over come your GPA and your options will not be good enough to justify going to law school. I'm not saying this to be mean or elitist, I'm just being realistic.

aclaw55

Postby aclaw55 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:31 pm

Last edited by aclaw55 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:07 pm

"I want to practice law in NY and some people are telling me to just start law school now and come back to NY and practice, but I am not ready to lock into a shitload of debt for a poorly ranked school in a different state."

TITCR. You will have a hell of a time getting back to NY from a poorly regarded school in a different region.

None of the schools you are looking at, or the schools that a 155 would give you a shot at, average scores. This really only occurs at some of the T14 and a select few of other schools. TTTTs and TTTs will focus almost entirely on your top score, especially if it helps their median

cigarman

Postby cigarman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Hey, Since I go to St Thomas, you guys want me to off myself now or later? :roll:

Return to “Law School FAQ”