Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
fastforward
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby fastforward » Tue May 03, 2011 4:31 pm

Little known fun fact: Morning dress used to be mandatory attire for counsel at oral argument before the Supreme Court of the United States. It became optional in recent years as more women entered the profession. Morning dress now rarely is seen, except: The Clerk of the Court always wears morning attire and males from the Solicitor General's office argue in morning attire.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby beachbum » Fri May 13, 2011 7:54 pm

So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

I just picked up a grey suit and black belt from Nordstrom Rack today (awesome deals, btw, and fairly inexpensive tailoring), but wasn't overly impressed by their shoe selection.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby Mike12188 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:06 pm

beachbum wrote:So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

I just picked up a grey suit and black belt from Nordstrom Rack today (awesome deals, btw, and fairly inexpensive tailoring), but wasn't overly impressed by their shoe selection.


Can't really help you on the shoes because I don't wear mine enough to tell you if they are reliable or good quality but, I am looking for another suit before I start school. What kind of suit did you get and how much, they opened a Rack about an hour from me, not sure if it is worth the trip. Thanks.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby bdubs » Fri May 13, 2011 8:16 pm

beachbum wrote:So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

I just picked up a grey suit and black belt from Nordstrom Rack today (awesome deals, btw, and fairly inexpensive tailoring), but wasn't overly impressed by their shoe selection.


Keep checking Nordstrom Rack and similar for a pair of good shoes ($200+) that are on sale. They will often have good deals on nice AE oxfords or occasionally fancier designers. I picked up a pair of classic Bruno Magli oxfords there for less than $100 once and they are amazing.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby bdubs » Fri May 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
beachbum wrote:So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

I just picked up a grey suit and black belt from Nordstrom Rack today (awesome deals, btw, and fairly inexpensive tailoring), but wasn't overly impressed by their shoe selection.


Can't really help you on the shoes because I don't wear mine enough to tell you if they are reliable or good quality but, I am looking for another suit before I start school. What kind of suit did you get and how much, they opened a Rack about an hour from me, not sure if it is worth the trip. Thanks.


You might get lucky, but generally Nordstrom Rack is someplace that you have to visit multiple times to find a good deal in your size.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby kalvano » Fri May 13, 2011 8:33 pm

beachbum wrote:So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

I just picked up a grey suit and black belt from Nordstrom Rack today (awesome deals, btw, and fairly inexpensive tailoring), but wasn't overly impressed by their shoe selection.



Go to Johnston & Murphy - good shoes that last, and won't break the bank. They have a "dress classic" series that are all-around good for work, interviews, etc. Plus, their shoes are awesomely comfortable.

User avatar
skw
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby skw » Fri May 13, 2011 8:36 pm

beachbum wrote:So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

I just picked up a grey suit and black belt from Nordstrom Rack today (awesome deals, btw, and fairly inexpensive tailoring), but wasn't overly impressed by their shoe selection.


As a woman, I'm no expert on men's shopping options, but I do shop with my husband from time to time. You may want to try Men's Warehouse for shoes. You should be able to get a nice pair of dress shoes for about $100 there. DSW is another good option. Brand does not matter as much as fit and style in shoes (men's or women's) IMO.

As an aside, I prefer square toe shoes on men, but that may just be me...

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby Perch » Fri May 13, 2011 8:39 pm

kalvano wrote:
beachbum wrote:So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

I just picked up a grey suit and black belt from Nordstrom Rack today (awesome deals, btw, and fairly inexpensive tailoring), but wasn't overly impressed by their shoe selection.



Go to Johnston & Murphy - good shoes that last, and won't break the bank. They have a "dress classic" series that are all-around good for work, interviews, etc. Plus, their shoes are awesomely comfortable.


+1 I'll add an endorsement for J&M, quality product

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby Renzo » Fri May 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Perch wrote:
kalvano wrote:
beachbum wrote:So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

I just picked up a grey suit and black belt from Nordstrom Rack today (awesome deals, btw, and fairly inexpensive tailoring), but wasn't overly impressed by their shoe selection.



Go to Johnston & Murphy - good shoes that last, and won't break the bank. They have a "dress classic" series that are all-around good for work, interviews, etc. Plus, their shoes are awesomely comfortable.


+1 I'll add an endorsement for J&M, quality product


I'll +2 it. They're top of the line are some of the best, most comfortable shoes around, and will last a lifetime. They're cheaper shoes are solid as well, and a good buy if you don't have ≈$200 to throw down right now.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby beachbum » Fri May 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
beachbum wrote:So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

I just picked up a grey suit and black belt from Nordstrom Rack today (awesome deals, btw, and fairly inexpensive tailoring), but wasn't overly impressed by their shoe selection.


Can't really help you on the shoes because I don't wear mine enough to tell you if they are reliable or good quality but, I am looking for another suit before I start school. What kind of suit did you get and how much, they opened a Rack about an hour from me, not sure if it is worth the trip. Thanks.


I picked up a solid dark grey/charcoal Joseph Abboud suit that came to a little over $400 after tailoring and taxes. I wanna say it was marked down from ~$700, and the overall quality seems great. The belt was $30, marked down from $80.

Thanks for the shoe advice, everyone. I'll definitely check out J&M.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby kalvano » Fri May 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Goddammit. I saw my hyphen in my above post and immediately thought "that's not right, that's an n-dash, not an m."

Stupid effing write-on.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby ahduth » Fri May 13, 2011 10:11 pm

beachbum wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:
beachbum wrote:So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

I just picked up a grey suit and black belt from Nordstrom Rack today (awesome deals, btw, and fairly inexpensive tailoring), but wasn't overly impressed by their shoe selection.


Can't really help you on the shoes because I don't wear mine enough to tell you if they are reliable or good quality but, I am looking for another suit before I start school. What kind of suit did you get and how much, they opened a Rack about an hour from me, not sure if it is worth the trip. Thanks.


I picked up a solid dark grey/charcoal Joseph Abboud suit that came to a little over $400 after tailoring and taxes. I wanna say it was marked down from ~$700, and the overall quality seems great. The belt was $30, marked down from $80.

Thanks for the shoe advice, everyone. I'll definitely check out J&M.


Abboud, good call.

Sub 100 shoes, maybe Kenneth Cole?

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby notanumber » Fri May 13, 2011 10:14 pm

skw wrote: As an aside, I prefer square toe shoes on men


:evil:

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby niederbomb » Sat May 14, 2011 1:43 am

I would assume that Korean-style dress shoes with the narrow shape and semi-pointed toes are out?

What are the guidelines for shoes in this profession? Narrow or wide? Pointed toes, square toes, wingtips?

http://image.dhgate.com/upload/20105/94 ... 309763.jpg

Sorry, my internet is too slow to load image shack today.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby beachbum » Sat May 14, 2011 2:04 am

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on these: http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-M ... 238&sr=1-1

Thoughts?

Edit: The pricing isn't quite clear on the site, but they'll end up at $132 for me.

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby HBK » Sat May 14, 2011 2:59 am

Sharp shoes. Price is decent. I think I may have seen them cheaper at a DSW once, but not by much.

One thing to consider with dress shoes- if you wear leather sole shoes in snow, the combination of the moisture from the snow and the salt on the sidewalks will eat your soles. As a southerner, I was unaware of this phenomena and lost a good pair of shoes during a trip to Harrisburg. A buddy of mine has some sole-covers that work well. I know some people that have leather dress shoes for non-snow times and some decent looking rubber soles for the contingency.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby Renzo » Sat May 14, 2011 9:29 am

beachbum wrote:I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on these: http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-M ... 238&sr=1-1

Thoughts?

Edit: The pricing isn't quite clear on the site, but they'll end up at $132 for me.


Do it. You won't find a higher quality shoe at that price point. I have one pair of their top-of-the-line and two pair from the midrange line (like these), and they're all comfortable and well-built.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby Renzo » Sat May 14, 2011 9:33 am

HBK wrote: if you wear leather sole shoes in snow, the combination of the moisture from the snow and the salt on the sidewalks will eat your soles. As a southerner, I was unaware of this phenomena and lost a good pair of shoes during a trip to Harrisburg. A buddy of mine has some sole-covers that work well. I know some people that have leather dress shoes for non-snow times and some decent looking rubber soles for the contingency.


This is true, but shouldn't effect your purchase of your first pair of real dress shoes. For interviews and even a summer gig, you'll be indoors most of the time you wear the shoes. Once you have a little more coin you can worry about winter shoes (which are a good idea in the NE) or additional pairs (which are a good idea everywhere, as shoes will last much longer if they rest between wearings).

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 10:14 am

niederbomb wrote:I would assume that Korean-style dress shoes with the narrow shape and semi-pointed toes are out?

What are the guidelines for shoes in this profession? Narrow or wide? Pointed toes, square toes, wingtips?

http://image.dhgate.com/upload/20105/94 ... 309763.jpg

Sorry, my internet is too slow to load image shack today.


Those are way too fashion forward for most industries, let alone law.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 10:17 am

Renzo wrote:
HBK wrote: if you wear leather sole shoes in snow, the combination of the moisture from the snow and the salt on the sidewalks will eat your soles. As a southerner, I was unaware of this phenomena and lost a good pair of shoes during a trip to Harrisburg. A buddy of mine has some sole-covers that work well. I know some people that have leather dress shoes for non-snow times and some decent looking rubber soles for the contingency.


This is true, but shouldn't effect your purchase of your first pair of real dress shoes. For interviews and even a summer gig, you'll be indoors most of the time you wear the shoes. Once you have a little more coin you can worry about winter shoes (which are a good idea in the NE) or additional pairs (which are a good idea everywhere, as shoes will last much longer if they rest between wearings).


They also won't smell as bad if you alternate pairs. And BUY SHOE TREES:

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Com ... 554&sr=1-2

Doesn't have to be those, just make sure they're cedar. They're one of the easiest investments to make in keeping your shoes healthy and happy.

edit: I'm not sure I emphasized this adequately. BUY SHOE TREES. It took me awhile to get on board with this, but it's truly worth it if you're buying nice dress shoes.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby niederbomb » Sun May 15, 2011 9:58 pm

ahduth wrote:
niederbomb wrote:I would assume that Korean-style dress shoes with the narrow shape and semi-pointed toes are out?

What are the guidelines for shoes in this profession? Narrow or wide? Pointed toes, square toes, wingtips?

http://image.dhgate.com/upload/20105/94 ... 309763.jpg

Sorry, my internet is too slow to load image shack today.


Those are way too fashion forward for most industries, let alone law.


Fashion forward? I've had these for years but only used them at social functions. I guess it's time to buy a "law pair."

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby beachbum » Sun May 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Just ordered the J&Ms, pretty excited to have a "complete" outfit now for employment-related functions. Also hoping it won't snow too much where I'm going (unless we have another winter like this last one), but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Will probably be buying shoe trees from AE (which are surprisingly affordable).

User avatar
fastforward
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby fastforward » Mon May 16, 2011 5:22 pm

beachbum wrote:Just ordered the J&Ms, pretty excited to have a "complete" outfit now for employment-related functions.


Those shoes are perfect.

For anyone planning to order online: If at all possible, try them on in a local store before ordering, to be sure of your correct size.

Shoe trees are a must!

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:59 pm

what is the verdict on graphic t's to class?

do professors care how you dress - does it influence your grading?

i know in undergrad there was a correlation between tattoos and weaker grades, and blazers and good grades that was do high to be mere chance.

oh, and boat shoes seem pretty essential for law school, and life in general.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby ahduth » Mon May 16, 2011 6:18 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:what is the verdict on graphic t's to class?

do professors care how you dress - does it influence your grading?

i know in undergrad there was a correlation between tattoos and weaker grades, and blazers and good grades that was do high to be mere chance.

oh, and boat shoes seem pretty essential for law school, and life in general.


You come from a very different part of the country than I do.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apricots and 2 guests