Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Capitol A

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby Capitol A » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:14 pm

kalvano wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
kalvano wrote:All of those website were awful.

I can tell you that my wardrobe/style very closely mirrors the looks on those sites, and I have never met a woman who didn't think I was well dressed. Im pretty sure that's all that matters.

Generational gap, I assume. Or a regional gap. No one around here would be caught dead in stuff like that.

Very possible, although unabashedlyprep is based in Highland Park.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Capitol A wrote:Very possible, although unabashedlyprep is based in Highland Park.

Which should tell you all you need to know.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:16 pm

tyro wrote:
Capitol A wrote:

I can tell you that my wardrobe/style very closely mirrors the looks on those sites, and I have never met a woman who didn't think I was well dressed. Im pretty sure that's all that matters.

Agreed. Those styles are just so cute and snuggly which helps on the battlefield.

???? Not sure what this means.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:18 pm

kalvano wrote:
Capitol A wrote:Very possible, although unabashedlyprep is based in Highland Park.

Isn't that where you go to school? You said: "no one around here."
More than likely a generational thing though...im probably older than most students.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Capitol A wrote:
kalvano wrote:

More than likely a generational thing though...im probably older than most students.

Technically in the Park Cities. But walk down the street either at school or in HP and you will see no one actually dressed like that save the people who work in Highland Park Village.

And I meant that I am older than you, and wouldn't be caught dead in that stuff. Maybe it's not a generational gap.

tyro

Postby tyro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Capitol A wrote:
tyro wrote:
Capitol A wrote:

Agreed. Those styles are just so cute and snuggly which helps on the battlefield.

???? Not sure what this means.

It's hip and popular. Who cares what other people think?

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:27 pm

kalvano wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Technically in the Park Cities. But walk down the street either at school or in HP and you will see no one actually dressed like that save the people who work in Highland Park Village.

And I meant that I am older than you, and wouldn't be caught dead in that stuff. Maybe it's not a generational gap.

Interesting. My experience in the dallas area was very limited. Im surprised you were thinking its generational if you're older...I will be a little over 30 when I graduate from law school.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Capitol A wrote:Interesting. My experience in the dallas area was very limited. Im surprised you were thinking its generational if you're older...I will be a little over 30 when I graduate from law school.

I'm already 30. I see acceptance of the stuff you posted much more by people in their early 20's versus people my age and older.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:33 pm

One rule is immutable: Your trousers need a proper break over your footwear. So if you plan to wear YSL flip flops with your suit, be certain to wear them at your tailor's fitting.

And as to the advice on [url]styleblogger.com[/url] by the "dress your body type" guy: Only after you've landed the job and convinced the firm you are a sartorial maven can you flaunt the rules, such as wearing your trousers ankle-length to try to get the illusion of height. To the partners you will look like a guy who wears the high school graduation suit he has outgrown and now shows up in high-water pants.

On the other hand, once you've achieved this level of confidence, Volcomm makes some amazing suits that will give you over-the-top cred after hours while clubbing. Especially if paired with a skinny tie. For the truly confident, did anyone watch American Idol last night and think they could rock Jacob's outfit at an interview?

For those wrestling over the pleats/cuffs dilemma, this archived thread might enlighten or at least help you find comfort in knowing the debate goes ever on: http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=43871

Truth is, anything goes if you can pull it off with unshakable confidence. :)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:42 pm

fastforward wrote:Truth is, anything goes if you can pull it off with unshakable confidence. :)

Actually, there is a lot of truth to this. I prefer pleated pants, I feel more comfortable in them. I also loathe anything "slim fit", generally, with a couple exceptions. I always get more compliments on stuff I feel more comfortable in, and it generally looks better simply because of my demeanor. It may be more old-fashioned, but at the same time the overall look is better simply because I am happier.

I think a proper attitude and carriage of yourself will overcome slight fashion discrepancies. Obviously don't go to far, but if you get a callback interview and you have a very nice suit that you love that happens to pinstriped (in a tasteful manner, not the awful ones from that video), your confidence and overall carriage of yourself will probably overcome the preference for solid suits.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:44 pm

anything by J. Garcia should be tossed in the garbage

alright now them's fighting words!

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:51 pm

kalvano wrote:
fastforward wrote:Truth is, anything goes if you can pull it off with unshakable confidence. :)

Actually, there is a lot of truth to this. I prefer pleated pants, I feel more comfortable in them. I also loathe anything "slim fit", generally, with a couple exceptions. I always get more compliments on stuff I feel more comfortable in, and it generally looks better simply because of my demeanor. It may be more old-fashioned, but at the same time the overall look is better simply because I am happier.

I think a proper attitude and carriage of yourself will overcome slight fashion discrepancies. Obviously don't go to far, but if you get a callback interview and you have a very nice suit that you love that happens to pinstriped (in a tasteful manner, not the awful ones from that video), your confidence and overall carriage of yourself will probably overcome the preference for solid suits.

Credited. The most important thing about a suit is that it be comfortable. If it fits properly and you're comfortable, it will show in the way you carry yourself and the way you act. I feel comfortable with no pleat/no cuff stuff. As long as you're not wearing something completely outrageous, if it fits well you're going to be pretty good.

jkay

Postby jkay » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:21 am

This is ridiculous. If you want cuffs, pleats, and a giant wool sack, go for it.

On the other hand, you can be modern and traditional at the same time. Flat front pants, no cuff, minimal or no break. Fitted jacket with some idea of a silhouette, narrow lapels. White shirt, spread collar, tie that is similar width to the lapels (i.e. narrow). This suit will never go out of style. And for god's sake, no pinstripes if you only own one suit.

If you get a charcoal suit, you can wear it with both black and brown shoe/belt combo. Throw in a light blue shirt and some variously colored ties and you can wear the same suit on two consecutive days and no one will notice anything other than your mad steeze.

Satisfy the 80 year old named partner and the much younger dandy hiring partner at the same time. Oh...and the ladies.

Nordstrom rack is a good place to start.

tyro

Postby tyro » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:32 am

jkay wrote:This is ridiculous. If you want cuffs, pleats, and a giant wool sack, go for it.

On the other hand, you can be modern and traditional at the same time. Flat front pants, no cuff, minimal or no break. Fitted jacket with some idea of a silhouette, narrow lapels. White shirt, spread collar, tie that is similar width to the lapels (i.e. narrow). This suit will never go out of style. And for god's sake, no pinstripes if you only own one suit.

If you get a charcoal suit, you can wear it with both black and brown shoe/belt combo. Throw in a light blue shirt and some variously colored ties and you can wear the same suit on two consecutive days and no one will notice anything other than your mad steeze.

Satisfy the 80 year old named partner and the much younger dandy hiring partner at the same time. Oh...and the ladies.

Nordstrom rack is a good place to start.

Appologies, but based on this picture, 'now' is getting dominated by 'then'.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:34 am

Put it this way - a more traditional suit will never go completely out of style. Stuff like extremely narrow lapels, no cuffs, slim fit....that may be gone in a couple years.

If I am spending a lot of money on a suit, I want it to be good for as long as possible.

jkay

Postby jkay » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:38 am

I fully agree. There are problems with this image but I didn't really want to spend too much time searching for the perfect Don Draper full profile.

tyro

Postby tyro » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:40 am

jkay wrote:

I fully agree. There are problems with this image but I didn't really want to spend too much time searching for the perfect Don Draper full profile.

Yeh just couldn't help myself. I'm still kind of chuckling at that picture. I guess it was the stance, hand position, and goofy smile that got me.
Post more plz!

Isn't that the guy from Mad Men in the 'then' pic?

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:23 am

1) Read what fastforward wrote
2) Buy Alan Flusser's Dressing the Man
3) Learn from the guys at http://www.styleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5
4) Find a good tailor
5) Profit

Fun things to remember: Buy a canvassed suit. When wearing said suit, your shoes should have laces. The shoes should be polished, and not incredibly square. The leather in your belt should match them. These things are simple, and often forgotten.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Are hats ever appropriate with formal wear?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Porkpie only.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:19 pm

aliarrow wrote:Are hats ever appropriate with formal wear?

US formal wear... Not so much. Real formal wear maybe.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:39 pm

aliarrow wrote:Are hats ever appropriate with formal wear?

You know formalwear means tuxedo, right?

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:06 pm

Since we seem to have moved past the basics, you should expect your tailor to ask you, "How do you dress?" The answer is left or right. Hint: in the ^photo, Don Draper is dressing left. 8)

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Q: can i wear t-shirts or v-neck t-shirts to class most days?

Also, on dress shirts, paul fredericks are awesome. I got two for $19.99 each (must be white) on their intro-promotion. customized everything with initials, etc. It is a great deal, because I have a unique body in that I am pretty broad shouldered, but very narrow at the waist so dress shirts normally fit me awkwardly.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:21 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote: Fun things to remember: Buy a canvassed suit. When wearing said suit, your shoes should have laces. The shoes should be polished, and not incredibly square. The leather in your belt should match them. These things are simple, and often forgotten.

While I'll agree that in general a canvass suit is the better option, especially for longevity, the difference pales in comparison to the importance buying a well fitting suit. A well fitting fused suit will always look better than a poorly fitting canvassed suit. I'd not hesitate to suggest that a law student with six figures of debt purchase a well fitting fused suit or two for interviews and summer work. You can buy the nice stuff and the garments that are built to last when you start making real money.

Return to “Law School FAQ”