Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Bartlebee06

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Postby Bartlebee06 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:49 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
kalvano wrote:I do hate cheap flip-flops though. They make annoying sounds. If you plan on wearing flip-flops, at least spend $20 and get a nicer pair.

No such thing.

Oh they exist

Priceless

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:51 pm

Capitol A wrote:
kalvano wrote:I do hate cheap flip-flops though. They make annoying sounds. If you plan on wearing flip-flops, at least spend $20 and get a nicer pair.

No such thing.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/rainbow-301 ... sultback=0

http://www.oakley.com/products/encryption/10097-001

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Capitol A wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
kalvano wrote:When it's 105 degrees outside, flip-flops are the only correct footwear.

I come from hell Florida and I still find flip-flops on males disgusting.

+1 in Phoenix. A man in sandals is not a man, except maybe at the beach. Even then...

Sandals > flip-flops.

On everyone, but men especially.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:01 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Capitol A wrote:

No such thing.

Oh they exist

Expensive =/= nice.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:04 pm

when I first read the title I thought you were talking about the make up!

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:36 pm

mala2 wrote:when I first read the title I thought you were talking about the make up!

wardrobe make up? RC fail.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Capitol A wrote:
ahduth wrote:
kalvano wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Also, as to fastfoward's advice re: suits - there is no reason to avoid pleats with suit pants. It's one thing if you don't like pleated slacks, but many fine quality suits have pleated pants. Pleats are designed to make the suit more comfortable to sit in and no one notices them when work as a suit.

+1.

Also, why the hell would you avoid cuffed pants? That looks weird, especially on suits.

I think both are avoided, because they look less dressy. For "working" suits, they're fine. But if you're going to an "event," such as an interview, they're not going to look as classy as non-cuffed, non-pleated pants. That's just my take however, I'm not exactly a sartorial god over here.

That's okay. These guys are, and they are willing/able to help:
http://www.unabashedlyprep.com
http://www.thestyleblogger.com
http://www.menofhabit.com
http://www.streetetiquette.com

lol. From unabashedlyprep.com:

You should wear that to your interviews.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:20 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
kalvano wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Also, as to fastfoward's advice re: suits - there is no reason to avoid pleats with suit pants. It's one thing if you don't like pleated slacks, but many fine quality suits have pleated pants. Pleats are designed to make the suit more comfortable to sit in and no one notices them when work as a suit.

+1.

Also, why the hell would you avoid cuffed pants? That looks weird, especially on suits.

I think both are avoided, because they look less dressy. For "working" suits, they're fine. But if you're going to an "event," such as an interview, they're not going to look as classy as non-cuffed, non-pleated pants. That's just my take however, I'm not exactly a sartorial god over here.

Less dressy? A conservative suit has cuffed pants and pleated pants. And conservative and traditional is a better approach for an interview.

Yeah, I guess I've been dealing with too many consulting types, where you look weird if you have a tie. I've always associated cuffs and pleats with people who weren't quite with it, old and out of date. I think I need to re-orient myself in terms of what industry I'm working in here...

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:29 pm

ahduth wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Less dressy? A conservative suit has cuffed pants and pleated pants. And conservative and traditional is a better approach for an interview.

Yeah, I guess I've been dealing with too many consulting types, where you look weird if you have a tie. I've always associated cuffs and pleats with people who weren't quite with it, old and out of date. I think I need to re-orient myself in terms of what industry I'm working in here...

I might get skewered for saying this, but I think it can also depend on which coast you're practicing. I'm not suggesting that you should go with jeans and a blazer if you're on the west coast, but the more fashion-forward approach might be more appreciated by the Pacific.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:32 pm

geoduck wrote:
I might get skewered for saying this, but I think it can also depend on which coast you're practicing. I'm not suggesting that you should go with jeans and a blazer if you're on the west coast, but the more fashion-forward approach might be more appreciated by the Pacific.

LOLOLOLOL WUT?

jk I have no idea, but I'd love to hear from someone who does.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:38 pm

aliarrow wrote:
geoduck wrote:

LOLOLOLOL WUT?

Business garb in general is significantly more relaxed out here. And business casual jeans exist and are worn, and not just on Fridays. Obviously lawyers would dress on the more conservative side and I really have no insight into how much of the relaxed wear has leaked into lawyer wear. It is just my reasoning that, given the lowered importance of minor suit details in business wear here, it is less likely that anyone would notice or mind the less conservative look of no pleats/no cuffs. Taken to the extreme, that logic might suggest that to go with the more conservative look might actually make you look out of date, similar to how you'd look putting on morning dress to go to an interview on the east coast.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Capitol A wrote:
ahduth wrote:
kalvano wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Also, as to fastfoward's advice re: suits - there is no reason to avoid pleats with suit pants. It's one thing if you don't like pleated slacks, but many fine quality suits have pleated pants. Pleats are designed to make the suit more comfortable to sit in and no one notices them when work as a suit.

+1.

That's okay. These guys are, and they are willing/able to help:
http://www.unabashedlyprep.com
http://www.thestyleblogger.com
http://www.menofhabit.com
http://www.streetetiquette.com

lol. From unabashedlyprep.com:

You should wear that to your interviews.

I didn't say, or even suggest that anyone copy exactly what they see on those sites, but if we are discussing bringing together the right details for looking sharp/well put together, we can definitely draw some inspiration from those sources.
Also, I obviously wouldn't dress like that for an interview, but you will certainly see me sport something similar for going on a date, to brunch, or even to school (probably not necktie to school, I will stick with the bow ties)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:23 pm

All of those website were awful.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:23 pm

aliarrow wrote:
geoduck wrote:

LOLOLOLOL WUT?

Actually, I have heard several times that that is the case.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:26 pm

kalvano wrote:

Is it a coastal thing or just a NYC vs Everywhere else thing?

tyro

Postby tyro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
I thought I'd go business casual to the first 1L reception hosted by a firm and I was the only person there NOT in a suit.

Well at least you got noticed? ;)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:38 pm

aliarrow wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I've heard it's just an overall much more casual atmosphere on the West Coast as opposed to everywhere else in terms of dress.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:38 pm

aliarrow wrote:
kalvano wrote:

DC is also supposed to be very conservative, maybe moreso than NYC.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:27 pm

kalvano wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I've heard it's just an overall much more casual atmosphere on the West Coast as opposed to everywhere else in terms of dress.

This is true. No one in the northeast (or even most of the midwest) would ever think chinos and a polo shirt was business casual; in California that's damn near formalwear.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:30 pm

kalvano wrote:All of those website were awful.

I can tell you that my wardrobe/style very closely mirrors the looks on those sites, and I have never met a woman who didn't think I was well dressed. Im pretty sure that's all that matters.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Capitol A wrote:

I can tell you that my wardrobe/style very closely mirrors the looks on those sites, and I have never met a woman who didn't think I was well dressed. Im pretty sure that's all that matters.

Generational gap, I assume. Or a regional gap. No one around here would be caught dead in stuff like that.

tyro

Postby tyro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Capitol A wrote:

Agreed. Those styles are just so cute and snuggly which helps on the battlefield.

AutoF0cus

Postby AutoF0cus » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:10 pm

geoduck wrote:
ahduth wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

I think formal may be a better word choice than dressy here.
For anything up to business casual cuffed pants are acceptable (and pleated or flat front is really just personal preference). But as you get more formal, the suit is supposed to start to resemble a tux, which has no cuffs and have a current fashion trend of getting away from pleats.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:12 pm

AutoF0cus wrote:I think formal may be a better word choice than dressy here.
For anything up to business casual cuffed pants are acceptable (and pleated or flat front is really just personal preference). But as you get more formal, the suit is supposed to start to resemble a tux, which has no cuffs and have a current fashion trend of getting away from pleats.

Suits are different from tuxes for a reason. A traditional dressy suit will have cuffed pants.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:14 pm

I hope I'm not alone in saying I had no idea what trouser cuffs were until I came across this thread and looked them up.

Glad I found this.

Return to “Law School FAQ”