Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
fastforward

Bronze

Re: Bare essentials for men's law school wardrobe?

Post by fastforward » Tue May 03, 2011 4:31 pm

Little known fun fact: Morning dress used to be mandatory attire for counsel at oral argument before the Supreme Court of the United States. It became optional in recent years as more women entered the profession. Morning dress now rarely is seen, except: The Clerk of the Court always wears morning attire and males from the Solicitor General's office argue in morning attire.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri May 13, 2011 7:54 pm

So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

I just picked up a grey suit and black belt from Nordstrom Rack today (awesome deals, btw, and fairly inexpensive tailoring), but wasn't overly impressed by their shoe selection.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:06 pm

beachbum wrote:So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

I just picked up a grey suit and black belt from Nordstrom Rack today (awesome deals, btw, and fairly inexpensive tailoring), but wasn't overly impressed by their shoe selection.
Can't really help you on the shoes because I don't wear mine enough to tell you if they are reliable or good quality but, I am looking for another suit before I start school. What kind of suit did you get and how much, they opened a Rack about an hour from me, not sure if it is worth the trip. Thanks.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri May 13, 2011 8:16 pm

beachbum wrote:So I've tried looking around the forums, and I can't find anything too specific about dress shoes. I'm looking for a good pair of black dress shoes, and I don't quite know where to begin. Any tips? Good places to pick up a relatively inexpensive (~$100?) pair of shoes? What brands should I be looking for?

Keep checking Nordstrom Rack and similar for a pair of good shoes ($200+) that are on sale. They will often have good deals on nice AE oxfords or occasionally fancier designers. I picked up a pair of classic Bruno Magli oxfords there for less than $100 once and they are amazing.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri May 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Mike12188 wrote:

Can't really help you on the shoes because I don't wear mine enough to tell you if they are reliable or good quality but, I am looking for another suit before I start school. What kind of suit did you get and how much, they opened a Rack about an hour from me, not sure if it is worth the trip. Thanks.
You might get lucky, but generally Nordstrom Rack is someplace that you have to visit multiple times to find a good deal in your size.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Go to Johnston & Murphy - good shoes that last, and won't break the bank. They have a "dress classic" series that are all-around good for work, interviews, etc. Plus, their shoes are awesomely comfortable.

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Fri May 13, 2011 8:36 pm

As a woman, I'm no expert on men's shopping options, but I do shop with my husband from time to time. You may want to try Men's Warehouse for shoes. You should be able to get a nice pair of dress shoes for about $100 there. DSW is another good option. Brand does not matter as much as fit and style in shoes (men's or women's) IMO.

As an aside, I prefer square toe shoes on men, but that may just be me...

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Fri May 13, 2011 8:39 pm

kalvano wrote:

Go to Johnston & Murphy - good shoes that last, and won't break the bank. They have a "dress classic" series that are all-around good for work, interviews, etc. Plus, their shoes are awesomely comfortable.
+1 I'll add an endorsement for J&M, quality product

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri May 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Perch wrote:
kalvano wrote:

+1 I'll add an endorsement for J&M, quality product
I'll +2 it. They're top of the line are some of the best, most comfortable shoes around, and will last a lifetime. They're cheaper shoes are solid as well, and a good buy if you don't have ≈$200 to throw down right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri May 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Mike12188 wrote:

I picked up a solid dark grey/charcoal Joseph Abboud suit that came to a little over $400 after tailoring and taxes. I wanna say it was marked down from ~$700, and the overall quality seems great. The belt was $30, marked down from $80.

Thanks for the shoe advice, everyone. I'll definitely check out J&M.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri May 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Goddammit. I saw my hyphen in my above post and immediately thought "that's not right, that's an n-dash, not an m."

Stupid effing write-on.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri May 13, 2011 10:11 pm

beachbum wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:

I picked up a solid dark grey/charcoal Joseph Abboud suit that came to a little over $400 after tailoring and taxes. I wanna say it was marked down from ~$700, and the overall quality seems great. The belt was $30, marked down from $80.

Thanks for the shoe advice, everyone. I'll definitely check out J&M.
Abboud, good call.

Sub 100 shoes, maybe Kenneth Cole?

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Fri May 13, 2011 10:14 pm

skw wrote: As an aside, I prefer square toe shoes on men
:evil:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sat May 14, 2011 1:43 am

I would assume that Korean-style dress shoes with the narrow shape and semi-pointed toes are out?

What are the guidelines for shoes in this profession? Narrow or wide? Pointed toes, square toes, wingtips?

http://image.dhgate.com/upload/20105/94 ... 309763.jpg

Sorry, my internet is too slow to load image shack today.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat May 14, 2011 2:04 am

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on these: http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-M ... 238&sr=1-1

Thoughts?

Edit: The pricing isn't quite clear on the site, but they'll end up at $132 for me.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Sat May 14, 2011 2:59 am

Sharp shoes. Price is decent. I think I may have seen them cheaper at a DSW once, but not by much.

One thing to consider with dress shoes- if you wear leather sole shoes in snow, the combination of the moisture from the snow and the salt on the sidewalks will eat your soles. As a southerner, I was unaware of this phenomena and lost a good pair of shoes during a trip to Harrisburg. A buddy of mine has some sole-covers that work well. I know some people that have leather dress shoes for non-snow times and some decent looking rubber soles for the contingency.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat May 14, 2011 9:29 am

beachbum wrote:I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on these: http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-M ... 238&sr=1-1

Thoughts?

Edit: The pricing isn't quite clear on the site, but they'll end up at $132 for me.
Do it. You won't find a higher quality shoe at that price point. I have one pair of their top-of-the-line and two pair from the midrange line (like these), and they're all comfortable and well-built.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat May 14, 2011 9:33 am

HBK wrote: if you wear leather sole shoes in snow, the combination of the moisture from the snow and the salt on the sidewalks will eat your soles. As a southerner, I was unaware of this phenomena and lost a good pair of shoes during a trip to Harrisburg. A buddy of mine has some sole-covers that work well. I know some people that have leather dress shoes for non-snow times and some decent looking rubber soles for the contingency.
This is true, but shouldn't effect your purchase of your first pair of real dress shoes. For interviews and even a summer gig, you'll be indoors most of the time you wear the shoes. Once you have a little more coin you can worry about winter shoes (which are a good idea in the NE) or additional pairs (which are a good idea everywhere, as shoes will last much longer if they rest between wearings).

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 10:14 am

niederbomb wrote:I would assume that Korean-style dress shoes with the narrow shape and semi-pointed toes are out?

What are the guidelines for shoes in this profession? Narrow or wide? Pointed toes, square toes, wingtips?

Those are way too fashion forward for most industries, let alone law.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat May 14, 2011 10:17 am

Renzo wrote:
HBK wrote: if you wear leather sole shoes in snow, the combination of the moisture from the snow and the salt on the sidewalks will eat your soles. As a southerner, I was unaware of this phenomena and lost a good pair of shoes during a trip to Harrisburg. A buddy of mine has some sole-covers that work well. I know some people that have leather dress shoes for non-snow times and some decent looking rubber soles for the contingency.
This is true, but shouldn't effect your purchase of your first pair of real dress shoes. For interviews and even a summer gig, you'll be indoors most of the time you wear the shoes. Once you have a little more coin you can worry about winter shoes (which are a good idea in the NE) or additional pairs (which are a good idea everywhere, as shoes will last much longer if they rest between wearings).
They also won't smell as bad if you alternate pairs. And BUY SHOE TREES:

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Com ... 554&sr=1-2

Doesn't have to be those, just make sure they're cedar. They're one of the easiest investments to make in keeping your shoes healthy and happy.

edit: I'm not sure I emphasized this adequately. BUY SHOE TREES. It took me awhile to get on board with this, but it's truly worth it if you're buying nice dress shoes.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sun May 15, 2011 9:58 pm

ahduth wrote:
niederbomb wrote:I would assume that Korean-style dress shoes with the narrow shape and semi-pointed toes are out?

Those are way too fashion forward for most industries, let alone law.
Fashion forward? I've had these for years but only used them at social functions. I guess it's time to buy a "law pair."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun May 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Just ordered the J&Ms, pretty excited to have a "complete" outfit now for employment-related functions. Also hoping it won't snow too much where I'm going (unless we have another winter like this last one), but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Will probably be buying shoe trees from AE (which are surprisingly affordable).

fastforward

Bronze

Post by fastforward » Mon May 16, 2011 5:22 pm

beachbum wrote:Just ordered the J&Ms, pretty excited to have a "complete" outfit now for employment-related functions.
Those shoes are perfect.

For anyone planning to order online: If at all possible, try them on in a local store before ordering, to be sure of your correct size.

Shoe trees are a must!

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:59 pm

what is the verdict on graphic t's to class?

do professors care how you dress - does it influence your grading?

i know in undergrad there was a correlation between tattoos and weaker grades, and blazers and good grades that was do high to be mere chance.

oh, and boat shoes seem pretty essential for law school, and life in general.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon May 16, 2011 6:18 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:what is the verdict on graphic t's to class?

do professors care how you dress - does it influence your grading?

i know in undergrad there was a correlation between tattoos and weaker grades, and blazers and good grades that was do high to be mere chance.

oh, and boat shoes seem pretty essential for law school, and life in general.
You come from a very different part of the country than I do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”